1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

bump stops with c-notch

Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump stops with c-notch

getting ready to fab up some bump stop brackets. curious where everyone relocated their bump stops with a c notch..

Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Right now it looks like I will not need a C notch but during planning stages I was going to bolt a 1/4" thick piece of rubber at the inside top of the notch. I didnt want to add so much extra height for a standard bumper.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
getting ready to fab up some bump stop brackets. curious where everyone relocated their bump stops with a c notch..
Right above the axle! Is there any other choice?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM
emay
Senior User
I pre thought this out in mock up because I new after boxing I didn't want to be fiddling around. Used a 2.5" round GM bump stop and half inch hardware. Tacked a nut inside the notch box right where the axle would touch bottomed out. I cut 2/3 of the stop away so I have about a 1" bumper with the bolt recessed inside by 3/8". No metal to metal contact possible.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Right now it looks like I will not need a C notch but during planning stages I was going to bolt a 1/4" thick piece of rubber at the inside top of the notch. I didnt want to add so much extra height for a standard bumper.
The bumper needs to absorb the energy of the axle slamming up; I don't think 1/4" rubber will do that.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The bumper needs to absorb the energy of the axle slamming up; I don't think 1/4" rubber will do that.
Maybe, maybe not, but I have the snubbers on my 37 buick cut down to 1/2" and they work ok. Hitting them is not something that happens a lot in normal driving.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 397 Likes on 185 Posts
Mine isn't c-notched but I used this from Pep boys. It wont have very much cushion but better than nothing.
Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex Universal low profile button head bump stop | Product Details | Pep Boys

Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My C knotch is 2 inches deep so it left 2 inches of frame rail. I boxed the frame, welded a 2x2x1/4 angle on the inside side (boxed side) of the frame rail and mounted the snubber under the angle so the bottom edge of the snubber is about 3/4" belwo the top of the knotch. Only question is how much does the snubber compress under normal overload conditions? I'll might have to go take a photo of it.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by avf100
Mine isn't c-notched but I used this from Pep boys. It wont have very much cushion but better than nothing.
Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex Universal low profile button head bump stop | Product Details | Pep Boys

I think I am going to grab a pair of those for testing. I should have 4" suspension travel at ride height, if it looks like I will be hitting the stops during normal driving then I will go with a C notch. Thanks for the pic!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
It all depends...if you have your frame notched then chances are that you are already more than a little concerned about road conditions given that your chassis is so much closer to the ground. I have my frame notched and I am using a high energy absorbing material (sorbothane) to line the portion of the notch directly above the axle tube. I NEVER expect to bottom out given the condition of the roads I drive on...but there is always a chance that there may be a pothole lurking out there waiting for me. Even if I do hit something that would cause the axle tube to contact the frame, by the time the axle travels up that far it has already been subjected to the downward forces of the springs and the shocks which hopefully have done their job to reduce the energy in final impact significantly. I'll let you know how my design works out when/if it ever comes to the point where it's needed.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
It is pretty amazing how little the rear suspension really moves during normal driving. My 37 Buick rear spings settled out after a year of driving and left me with about 2" of suspension travel before it will hit the bump stop. The only time it has ever hit was on a section of road that has a "whoop do do" type drop and then incline so the suspension unloads and then loads up quickly after. These are lowering leaf springs and no where near as stiff as truck springs. No biggie when it did hit but I know to slow down there now

Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Right above the axle! Is there any other choice?
AX....for some reason the simplicity of that response made me laugh for a good minute or two. Classic!!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a product sold by Eaton spring that also is used on normal trucks as an overload protection. It is fairly hard rubber bellows that absorb the movement. I have been very pleased with them.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 397 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
It is pretty amazing how little the rear suspension really moves during normal driving. My 37 Buick rear spings settled out after a year of driving and left me with about 2" of suspension travel before it will hit the bump stop. The only time it has ever hit was on a section of road that has a "whoop do do" type drop and then incline so the suspension unloads and then loads up quickly after. These are lowering leaf springs and no where near as stiff as truck springs. No biggie when it did hit but I know to slow down there now
I will have about 3" of clearance after the bed is back on,
and that should be enough. (I hope)

Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
I was thinking about something like this... Excuse the horrible drawing. The only question is how much of the bump stop do I let hang down below the frame (c-notch)..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bump stops with c-notch