Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
New User

'99 5.4L DUTY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Supercharged 5.4 Superduty

I have a 99 f250 5.4l Superduty with 4.10s and a 5-speen manual trans 4X4. i am looking to supercharge it. i want put on the 3.4l whipple for the lightning and the trick flow twisted wedge top end kit and all the other supporting mods ( exhaust/ Fuel system etc).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the forced induction 5.4L and what it takes to make a 5.4l be able to stand up to 30 PSI and around 650hp/ft-lb. Bascly i wanna be able to blow any stock or mild built PSD out of the water and have a Badass dune truck

Also wondering if any knows of the cost of a build of this magnitude. Whipple supercharger kit is about $4500 and Trickflow top-end kit is around $3500 (includes heads cams etc.) I currently only $3200 into the truck and Looking to spend less than $12000 on engine/tuning/air and fuel delivery. I plan on doing most of the work myself minus engine machine work and tuning and what not. DO-ABLE??

This is not a right now project. Currently i am solely in the research stage and most likely wont begin purchasing anything for this build for the next 18 months to two years. if anyone has done anything similar or has some helpful information please let me know so i can begin to "pick your brain.

Thanks
Josh
Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior User

dscabra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '99 5.4L DUTY View Post
I have a 99 f250 5.4l Superduty with 4.10s and a 5-speen manual trans 4X4. i am looking to supercharge it. i want put on the 3.4l whipple for the lightning and the trick flow twisted wedge top end kit and all the other supporting mods ( exhaust/ Fuel system etc).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the forced induction 5.4L and what it takes to make a 5.4l be able to stand up to 30 PSI and around 650hp/ft-lb. Bascly i wanna be able to blow any stock or mild built PSD out of the water and have a Badass dune truck

Also wondering if any knows of the cost of a build of this magnitude. Whipple supercharger kit is about $4500 and Trickflow top-end kit is around $3500 (includes heads cams etc.) I currently only $3200 into the truck and Looking to spend less than $12000 on engine/tuning/air and fuel delivery. I plan on doing most of the work myself minus engine machine work and tuning and what not. DO-ABLE??

This is not a right now project. Currently i am solely in the research stage and most likely wont begin purchasing anything for this build for the next 18 months to two years. if anyone has done anything similar or has some helpful information please let me know so i can begin to "pick your brain.

Thanks
Josh
30 psi of boost is huge! Most super charger boost numbers on OEM cars tend to be 10-12 psi or less. I would expect that to push 30 psi you will need to beef up the entire rotating assembly. Then once you start making that 600+ h.p., the next weak link is going to be the transmission. You might consider talking to a speed shop in your area, as they can probably give you real advice -- not the speculation that I'm providing.
2007 F-250 Lariat FX4 with 8" Procomp lift, Top Gun Customz dual in-line stabilizer, polished billet grille inserts, Bushwacker pocket flares painted to match, Fuel Offraoad Hostage 20x10 (-24 offset) wheels, Toyo M/T 37x13.50-20 tires, Randy Ellis Design, Inc. light bar with PIAA 520 series lights (two driving and two fog), SCT programmer, AMP Research Power Steps, Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger, EGR delete, 5" MBRP exhaust.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Here is a video of a 3.4L Whipple installed on a Mustang. At 17Lb of boost they dyno'd well over 600 RWHP. That went up to way over 700RWHP at 21 pounds.

IMHO, 30 pounds of boost is not survivable with your 5.4L.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Junior User

wbrook_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
While the engine is apart, you might consider a forged rotating assembly. The supercharged F150 Lightnings had a forged crank that is good for lots of power.
Not sure how much power/boost the pistons or rods can take.

If I were to spend 10k+ on my 5.4, I'd go high compression, low boost. That way the motor will be torquey and responsive, plus the boost on top will shred

Heck, you could even get a stroker kit for more nuts!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior User

99150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rather than go that route; why not just start here
Ford Racing Parts Now Offering 5.8L GT500 Aluminum Block For Sale - EngineLabs
This would be a hell of a starting point
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
Rather than go that route; why not just start here
Ford Racing Parts Now Offering 5.8L GT500 Aluminum Block For Sale - EngineLabs
This would be a hell of a starting point
yeah thats gonna be a massive pain in the butt. ill just stick with a 5.4
Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrook_ford View Post
While the engine is apart, you might consider a forged rotating assembly. The supercharged F150 Lightnings had a forged crank that is good for lots of power.
Not sure how much power/boost the pistons or rods can take.

If I were to spend 10k+ on my 5.4, I'd go high compression, low boost. That way the motor will be torquey and responsive, plus the boost on top will shred

Heck, you could even get a stroker kit for more nuts!
I am going to put all forged internals in it just dont know what to go with or who makes good components for this engine. I would like to put in aftermarket lightning internals, because im sure somebody has got to make kits for those trucks. looking to go better than stock lightning internals. Also is a SD 5.4 shortblock any different from a lightning short block? or can my block be reinforced to handle the power?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Junior User

wbrook_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think all 5.4 iron blocks are more or less the same, save for possibly different mounting bosses for ps pumps, a.c. compressors etc.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
5.4 supercharged, 5.4l, gas, lightning, powerstroke, supercharger, superduty, trickflow, whipple