Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM
New User

Se7vinDeadlySins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust and Intake

Can anyone give me some advice on aftermarket exhaust and air intake for my 2014 F250 6.2L CrewCab.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Junior User

wbrook_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do an internet search for 5star tuning. They have alot of stuff
Old 02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrook_ford View Post
Do an internet search for 5star tuning. They have alot of stuff
Thanks alot for the info. I'll check em' out.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Senior User

dscabra is starting off with a positive reputation.
MBRP exhausts are top quality and not terribly expensive. I still have a stock intake, but I've heard good things about AFE.
2007 F-250 Lariat FX4 with 8" Procomp lift, Top Gun Customz dual in-line stabilizer, polished billet grille inserts, Bushwacker pocket flares painted to match, Fuel Offraoad Hostage 20x10 (-24 offset) wheels, Toyo M/T 37x13.50-20 tires, Randy Ellis Design, Inc. light bar with PIAA 520 series lights (two driving and two fog), SCT programmer, AMP Research Power Steps, Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger, EGR delete, 5" MBRP exhaust.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM
New User

Thanks dscabra, do you know if swapping out the intake will require a PCM flash? I'm not trying to do too much that involves screwing with the warranty. I did that right of the bat with my 09 mustang, its a beast, but that was the plan from the start. Not so much with this truck.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Junior User

wbrook_ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7vinDeadlySins View Post
Thanks dscabra, do you know if swapping out the intake will require a PCM flash? I'm not trying to do too much that involves screwing with the warranty. I did that right of the bat with my 09 mustang, its a beast, but that was the plan from the start. Not so much with this truck.
I'm not sure how the 6.2 will take to the intake. If I recall correctly, some intakes on 5.4 trucks would cause the MAF sensor to give false readings that a tune was needed to fix. I think this has to do with the change in diameter of intake pipe the MAF sensor sits in, and the relation to airflow change.

Then again, the ECU might be smart enough to figure it out. I'd call or email 5Star tuning. They are the go to when it comes to these gas super dutys.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Senior User

dscabra is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7vinDeadlySins View Post
I really don't know. For the 6.0L, I don't believe there are any issues with an aftermarket intake, but I don't know about the newer engines.
2007 F-250 Lariat FX4 with 8" Procomp lift, Top Gun Customz dual in-line stabilizer, polished billet grille inserts, Bushwacker pocket flares painted to match, Fuel Offraoad Hostage 20x10 (-24 offset) wheels, Toyo M/T 37x13.50-20 tires, Randy Ellis Design, Inc. light bar with PIAA 520 series lights (two driving and two fog), SCT programmer, AMP Research Power Steps, Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger, EGR delete, 5" MBRP exhaust.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Senior User

bikerman2299 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
MBRP exhausts are top quality and not terribly expensive. I still have a stock intake, but I've heard good things about AFE.
I have an AFE Stage 2 intake on my '11 F250 Gasser. It is LOUD! If you like listening to the sound of your valves, and every other mechanical wonderment under the hood, then by all means, grab an AFE Stage 2 Intake. The RPM range I say its loud in is from just above 3k rpm's to red line.

The other part I ran into was fitment. It looks all nice and pretty out of the box, but when I started to install it, the support bracket that mounts to the intake plenum did not match up by any stretch of the imagination. As a result I called AFE and they said I had ordered to wrong part number. Long story short, according to AFE I have a one off truck that the radiator was mounted backwards in and it MUST have an aftermarket intake plenum.

I wish you luck in your search. If you you'd like me to send pictures to you, no problem, just PM me.

Semper Spes, Numquam Quieti

Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman2299 View Post
I have an AFE Stage 2 intake on my '11 F250 Gasser. It is LOUD! If you like listening to the sound of your valves, and every other mechanical wonderment under the hood, then by all means, grab an AFE Stage 2 Intake. The RPM range I say its loud in is from just above 3k rpm's to red line.

The other part I ran into was fitment. It looks all nice and pretty out of the box, but when I started to install it, the support bracket that mounts to the intake plenum did not match up by any stretch of the imagination. As a result I called AFE and they said I had ordered to wrong part number. Long story short, according to AFE I have a one off truck that the radiator was mounted backwards in and it MUST have an aftermarket intake plenum.

I wish you luck in your search. If you you'd like me to send pictures to you, no problem, just PM me.
Load some pictures in here so others may see what you are refering too.

IMO I would not worry about intake and exhaust yet. Check into 5star first and see about tuning. I will hopefully be tuning my V10 this year with a programmer from them.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Junior User

unyalli is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrook_ford View Post
If I recall correctly, some intakes on 5.4 trucks would cause the MAF sensor to give false readings.
You recall correctly, the Volant CAI was the only one would not cause this. I had a Volant sealed box unit on my 05 5.4L and the increase in throttle response was noticeable with no increase in intake drone. Top quality unit. They have kits for all the Diesel SD,s and I can't get them off their *** to do one for the gas trucks. Maybe if enough of us requested it.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
New User

WOW, some really good advice and info here guys..Thanks. I will definitely be checking out MBRP exhauts and AFE intakes. From what I gather from you guys is that 5Star is the best place for me to start looking. Bikerman2299, if you could send me some pics that would be great.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Senior User

bikerman2299 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I spoke too soon. I'm in Afghanistan, and the pictures are at the house in california. I'll post them up when I get home. Sorry.

Semper Spes, Numquam Quieti

Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
New User

LOL, No problem. Be safe over there.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
there is no reason to change the intakes on these trucks today. Ford has hundreds of hours of testing and their intakes are free flowing and trap more dirt than ANY aftermarket unit. Just like on the 5.4 and V10 motors the intakes are more than the motor can pull in, just save your money and keep the stock setup

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Posting Guru

Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
^^ well put!

1939 Ford COE custom. "Ford-Tuff"
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 PM