Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Elder User

dave91gt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Upset with dealer- does a new longblock come with new VCT solenoids?

Had one go out 1 1/2 years (29,000 miles) after engine replacement. Dealer working on it says they were the old ones and not covered. Said new longblocks don't come with them. Dealer I bought it from sent me all of the paperwork and told me the new longblocks come with new VCT and they are included in the warranty.
So, which is it? Do new longblocks come with new VCT's? I am specifically asking about Factory replacement longblocks.
I have only used Mobil 1 in this engine (replaced just before I bought the Expy) and changed on schedule with a FL820S filter. Why did the VCT go bad that quick?
I am out $344 and want to be sure I am supposed to be.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I'm guessing you bought the long block from one dealer and now having another service it as installed?

That being the case I'd present my paper work to the current dealer and ask for an explanation of their denial of the VCT's being part of or covered.

If that fails against you I'd contact the selling dealer and have them get involved. If this is all Ford factory stuff any warranties specifically in effect should follow the part.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Elder User

dave91gt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the Expedition from a dealer an hour from the house. The dealer I towed it to is 15 minutes away. I have bought 2 vehicles from them and their service dept. has always taken care of me. Honestly didn't think it wouldn't be covered, Why would Ford warranty the long block fully for 3 years and ask the dealer to install old VCT solenoids and potentially risk contamination or improper cam phaser operation? Or metal in the oil? I called the dealer that installed the motor and they assure me the motor had new VCT's -adamantly. The dealer tried to charge me $780 on top of everything else. I threw a fit when I seen $555 labor. The service writer reviewed it and said they had improperly charged the wrong labor code. That really set me off. I asked them how many unassuming people they have ripped off. He couldn't answer. I saw red. I told them they have a day to show me the VCT is not a warranty item or I was calling Ford. It is a principle thing. If they can show me, my attitude will be completely different.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)