General Automotive Discussion

Nissan Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nissan Tech

I need to fix an intermittent starting issue on a 2001 Maxima that belongs to my mother. I get good tech here at FTE but have been looking for something like FTE that would apply to this vehicle and finding very little. Sure there are a number of Nissan forums but they are slow and what is there isn't very good or all about the ricer racing stuff. Anyone have any suggestions on where you look for something helpful? Or is anyone here a tech that might be able to walk me through this, I'm not so bad at this stuff but this has me stumped.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Some of us may be able to help you. But you'll need to be more specific with the symptoms the car is presenting. Also intermittent problems can be very difficult to diagnose and repair. You'll just need to be patient. Of course though there is a really quick easy way to resolve this issue. That is to trade it in on a Ford.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Some of us may be able to help you. But you'll need to be more specific with the symptoms the car is presenting. Also intermittent problems can be very difficult to diagnose and repair. You'll just need to be patient. Of course though there is a really quick easy way to resolve this issue. That is to trade it in on a Ford.
Yes I know intermittent problems are a pain, that's why the other day when it did it I did all I could to work it out.

On occasion it won't start or takes a few more cranks to start without throttle application. When trying to start it does the whole turns fast, fires a bit but the fires are very weak and it never quite gets going. The issue is in the diagnostics, no codes, no way to check fuel pressure, timing, air supply etc.

The fuel thing is bugging me, this sucker has no external fuel filter. The only fuel filter is in the tank on the pump and so far I can't get the pump out. I can get to the point of lifting the housing that holds the pump out about 3" but then it gets stuck. That and there truly is no way to check the fuel pressure without some very special adapter or cutting a fuel line to T in. No Schrader valve, no banjo bolts, and the fittings are unique enough I haven't yet found a fitting.

I'm leaning towards a sticking IAC valve, this sucker apparently has 3 IACs apparently a fast start valve, a AC fast idle valve and a normal IAC. And they are buried under the throttle valve back by the firewall. So my current theory is that the starting IAC is sticking closed on occasion and not letting in enough air to let it start. How to test that theory and fix it cheap and easy, IDK yet.

And ha ha no trade in, sure we'd like a newish Ford but we don't like the payment. This has been a remarkably trouble free car for almost 13 years. She'd like a compact SUV and I think an Edge or maybe the new explorer would be great but they are pricey. I'm thinking she'd do well with an S10 blazer it would be rather cheap, easy on me, and very multi purpose. But to her it looks too big and she trusts her Maxima, I'd have to buy one then give it to her to drive while I maintain the Maxima for her to even try it. She needs 4WD and a higher seat, but is afraid of driving "bigger" vehicles. My compromise so far is last fall I put new taller blizzak tires on the Maxima, but this means I also have to buy new tires this spring, can't leave those on.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Not sure how easy they are to get to, but here's what I've in the past with mine. I pull the IAC off of the throttle body. Get either some carb and choke cleaner or some break clean. Spray the crap out of it. Then I'll use a brush (like either an acid brush or an old tooth brush) and scrub the inside of it the best I can. Then spray it clean again. Let it dry really good. Sometime I use compressed air to blow it out. Then once I feel it's dried thoroughly I'll reinstall it. Then run it to see if there is any difference. Also you might want to check and replace any and all vacuum lines.