1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 SD Buying Questions

Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 SD Buying Questions

Haven't been here in a while, but it's maybe time to upgrade the truck, and now I have a few questions.

Currently have a Black 2011 F250 XLT Crew Gasser...love it! I do have a few minor issues with it though...
1. It's a bit long for plowing (I only do my own long *** driveway and help out others here and there)
2. Too long to fit in garage!
3. Black is beautiful, but keeping it clean and blemish free is a bitch!
4. Cloth absorbs way too much of the food that misses my mouth!

Sooo, while I have some decent equity and it has a little value, I'm going to trade up to a 2015 f350 ingot/Magnetic 2 tone Lariat Gasser. I'm going to get a supercab to shorten things up a little. So my questions are :

1. I notice the sound system in the lariat supercab is listed as only a 8 speaker "premium sound system" where the crew gets a 9 speaker "Sony premium system". Aside this extra wherever speaker, what is the real difference?

2. I have 3.73 gears now in my xlt. I had 18's on it when I bought it, then I slapped on some factory 20's I grabbed on ebay. Had computer adjusted for 20's too. I definitely noticed a lot more downshifting to 5th going up grades and a significant decrease in fuel economy. Thinking about getting 4.30's in the 2015. I don't really tow much. I commute about 45 miles roundtrip to work a 3-4 times a week, half of it being hiway. Can anyone give me some real world numbers on fuel economy between 3.73 and 4.30 gears? Is the higher rpm difference noise with the 4.30's more detectable in cab at hiway speeds than the 3.73's?

3. Is the navigation option good or more of a pain in the ***? I do use navigation on my dash mounted Note 2 cell phone a lot, so I thought I could eliminate mounting my phone to the dash now!

4. Why the hell is the disc player only CD??? Would of been nice to have a blue ray player. Will the system play videos from usb, sd card, or via Bluetooth?

5. I know there is devices to disable the safe lock so video cannot be played while in motion, along with the ability to turn on camera while in other gears beside reverse. Anyone have experience with these units, and any suggestions on which ones might be better?

6. My xlt sync system will play any audio coming out of the phone when in "Bluetooth Audio" mode such as rhapsody of getting directions from a route in google maps. Will the Bluetooth audio play audio with other apps like Rhapsody in the same way it does with Pandora similar to my xlt?

I haven't ordered yet. I'm afraid I will miss the SCrew size too much!

Thanks all!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
I just bought a 14SD, you will miss the crew cab...Xcab's are nice but you can never have enough room..I got upgraded Sony.. it is a nice system,, Glad to hear your going with Ingot. I did the same, I had a Kodiak Brown F150 and couldn't stand the upkeep,, I went back to silver and oh how much easier to keep her looking good..Smart move..As far as navigation, most people say they use there phone..I haven't really used mine yet so I cant comment how accurate or ease of use..Good luck with your new truck purchase..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
djm1204
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked on the availability of a 2015 supercab ? I thought that I read something on here that the 2014 year was going to be the last of the Supercab - something to do with side impact regulations ?

Not 100% sure - but 75% sure I read that on these forums a short time ago - and ya know if one reads something on a forum it has to be true

I only tell you this because if it is true and you have your heart set on a supercab you might need to settle for a 2014 on a dealers lot - before they all disappear.

Dan - NJ

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
Originally Posted by djm1204
Have you checked on the availability of a 2015 supercab ? I thought that I read something on here that the 2014 year was going to be the last of the Supercab - something to do with side impact regulations ?

Not 100% sure - but 75% sure I read that on these forums a short time ago - and ya know if one reads something on a forum it has to be true

I only tell you this because if it is true and you have your heart set on a supercab you might need to settle for a 2014 on a dealers lot - before they all disappear.
Nope, 100% sure they are still making the supercab (extendedcab). Already been to dealer and have it all priced out. Also have the newest 2015 buying guide. Very little has changed for a gasser from 2014 to 2015 for 250's and 350's. Mostly color changes, Kodiak brown, pale adobe, and sterling gray are deleted to be replaced by Caribou, bronze fire, and magnetic,...18's are standard and SRW xlt's, skid plates are no longer standard on platinum, Sirius standard on xlt's, revised 5th wheel hitch, king ranch monochromatic package added, 6.7 diesel engine has been refined/updated though the HP and torque ratings have yet to be released, and a few pickup box delete options. 450's got a few changes too.

I wish Ford would update the website too so I can play with the build too!

Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
I just bought a 14SD, you will miss the crew cab...Xcab's are nice but you can never have enough room..I got upgraded Sony.. it is a nice system,, Glad to hear your going with Ingot. I did the same, I had a Kodiak Brown F150 and couldn't stand the upkeep,, I went back to silver and oh how much easier to keep her looking good..Smart move..As far as navigation, most people say they use there phone..I haven't really used mine yet so I cant comment how accurate or ease of use..Good luck with your new truck purchase..
Did you get a supercab(extendedcab) too? And if so, it's a Sony system too?

Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Kind of a waste of money to do the move you're talking about, IMO. I'd rather have a crew cab XLT than a Lariat SuperCab. Its not that there is anything wrong with the s-cab, its just that the current trend is for more and more pickups to be crew cabs, and I think a new s-cab would depreciate more than a crew cab. I can't comment on 4:30's vs 3:73's (I have 3.73's and have no issues). As for the nav, I have retrofitted everything into my XLT form the factory - OEM nav, full Sync, Sirius, nav steering wheel, etc. The system works well and is very nice being fully integrated. The nav system will play DVD movies, CDs, decode MP3, play off from USB, stream bluetooth audio (sans track titles, though), and of course full phone integration, including address book, call history, etc. Its a nice setup. You could probably get all these features, though, with a better-sounding aftermarket system for less money. I just wanted the integrated factory look, myself. As for the difference between the Sony vs Premium vs Base audio system - none of them are outstanding. The single biggest thing you can do to improve audio quality is replace your stock speakers, even the 'Sony' ones. The stock sub is fairly weak. However, any of these stock systems can still be pleasant to listen to.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
Thanks troverman.

I wasn't really worried about the sound quality of the sound system, just why the difference in type of factory system. I used to compete over 20 years ago in auto sound. Had a 1990 Black TBird 5.0L with 16 speakers including 2 free air 15's in the truck, custom door pods, clarion head unit, fosgate and lanzar amps and caps....it was awesome...totaled the car in 92...sad sad.....

Just thought it was strange in a Crew the audio is a premium "Sony" system, and in a scab it just a premium minus a speaker. I may replace the speakers, but I said I was going to do that in my 2011 xlt and never did because the sound was adequate.

Your making me feel like **** though downgrading to a SCab ....I love the SCrew size...have less kids to ride around with me now, SCrew are so long with western plow on it, and the real idiot move was when I built my house a couple years ago, I did not take in account the length of the truck for the garage....and I really would like to park in the garage in the winter!

I still have a couple days to think about it!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Firewiz, nothing wrong with the s-cab. I do think the depreciation factor should be considered, but certainly buy what best fits your needs. The s-cabs are not tiny by any stretch. The difference between the 8 / 9 speaker system might be a subwoofer? I thought both the s-cabs and crews had the same sub located behind the rear seat.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Firewiz
Senior User
My guess on a SCab is that there are 5 speakers in front including center, 2 rear plus sub....on a SCrew maybe the 9th is a rear center?

Anyways, no biggie...Maybe I will look later on a dealer lot at a Scab lariat.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
On the current Lariat crew, you have 2 front door speakers, 2 front tweeters, 2 rear door tweeters, 2 rear speakers, and one sub = 9 speakers.

Not sure how the s-cab does it. Let me know if you look at one. Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful truck.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
Just read the order guide again. It just might be the way the wording is, but it says for scab lariat sound "A premium AM/FM stereo, single-CD player with MP3 capability, eight speakers and subwoofer is standard in Super Duty® LARIAT SuperCab models".....so after reading again it looks like there are 9 total....for description for a SCREW lariat "The Audio System from Sony® features nine speakers, added center speaker and sail panel speaker grille. Standard on Super Duty® LARIAT Crew Cab, King Ranch® and Platinum."....

so it looks like it just adds a center speaker in the Screw.

Going to dealers again in a few to mash some new numbers....I'm sorta talking myself back into a screw.....lived this long parking it outside and plowing with a big truck...why deprive myself! We'll see....

Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I have 4.30 gears in my truck and I'm glad I got them. I was told you loose around 1.5-2mpg with the 4.30's. My best has been 14mpg and I have to really watch my driving style to get that. usually I was running around 13mpg during the summer and have been running around 11.5-12mpg during the winter. But then I have been doing a lot of short trips that are around 10-15 miles one way.

At 60mph my engine is running just under 2000rpm. I really don't notice a lot of engine noise, the exhaust is louder.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
Ok....I gave into myself! I order 2015 2 tone ingot on magnetic 4x4 lariat Screw 3.73 elocker gasser F350! Not my original plan, but I knew I would regret not going big later! I'm not crazy about the color, but I stuck to migrating away from a dark color.

Got the lariat ultimate and FX4 package. Did not go for the chrome package, as I feel its a waste of $$$$ just to get nice running boards. So I got the 5" running boards. Along with that my other goodies and standard lariat stuff are roof lights, upfitter switches, bed extender, universal garage opener, fords tough bed (had a rhino liner on my current, figured I give fords a try), heated rear seats, body side moldings, snow plow prep, engine blk heater (standard in my state) and all weather mats!!!

The only thing I don't really like is the tailgate step that comes in the lariat ultimate pkg....I use my tailgate a lot to work on, and with the handle being stowed there now makes the surface very uneven!

My wallet is sore!!!! Got this truck for $500 under invoice plus they guaranteed 1/2 of the value of the current rebates I qualify for on a 2014 and another $500 rebate for my lease turn in of my other car I did last week! Total rebate is $1750...and if the rebate is better on delivery, I get the extra too. Got a very fair amount for my current Screw for trade in. Also sold back my remaining pro rated ESP warranty for another $500+. Will try and get some ford cash too before it gets delivered too!

Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Stanggt24
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Firewiz
Ok....I gave into myself! I order 2015 2 tone ingot on magnetic 4x4 lariat Screw 3.73 elocker gasser! Not my original plan, but I knew I would regret not going big later! I'm not crazy about the color, but I stuck to migrating away from a dark color.

Got the lariat ultimate and FX4 package. Did not go for the chrome package, as I feel its a waste of $$$$ just to get nice running boards. So I got the 5" running boards. Along with that my other goodies and standard lariat stuff are roof lights, upfitter switches, bed extender, universal garage opener, fords tough bed (had a rhino liner on my current, figured I give fords a try), heated rear seats, body side moldings, snow plow prep, engine blk heater (standard in my state) and all weather mats!!! My wallet will hurt.

The only thing I don't really like is the tailgate step that comes in the lariat ultimate pkg....I use my tailgate a lot to work on, and with the handle being stowed there now makes the surface very uneven!
Congrats on your new purchase sounds like a sweet truck, sounds like my 13 SD I have all the same things but I did get the chrome package u will enjoy it. Now u just have the longest 5 or 6 weeks of your life to wait for it. Ask my family they will tell u that I drove them nuts until it came in. Lol

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Firewiz
Senior User
Yeah...I'm anxious to play with all the new gadgets inside! I currently have my 2011 f250 xlt Screw that's getting traded in. I get to keep it until the new one gets in. Got to get all the plow goodies off it too!

As for the chrome package, I do love the 6" running boards, but I find its a mother F'er to keep clean and keep all the salt from hardening up in between all those spaces. I also have a set of almost new 20" chrome ford tires/rims I just bought a few months ago that I will be keeping!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I actually like the 5" tubular style running boards better - they seem to have a nicer, more modern appearance. I think you'll be pleased you got the crew. What a gorgeous truck, I'm jealous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 SD Buying Questions