1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Coolant leak rear engine, not intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
cdlynes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak rear engine, not intake manifold

I am new here and please pardon me for maybe asking things that might have been covered elsewhere. I am in a quandary about this situation and would really like to hear some suggestions for my problem.

I have a 2000 F150 with 5.4L going on 180,000 miles. I am only the second owner, and have had it for nine years. Never had any trouble with the engine in the slightest. Runs strong, runs great. I probably put 5000 miles on it the last 3 months. Drive it all over.

One day I returned to my truck in a parking garage after an all day meeting, to the sweet smell of antifreeze. i got out and looked, found a large puddle of yellow liquid on the ground under the rear of the engine. I refilled the reservoir with water and drove home. I assumed it was the heater core, so I took a day and a half and replaced a perfectly good heater core. The water loss continued of course.

Then I found water behind the alternator in the V under the intake manifold. I purchased a new water pump, then when researching the best procedure to access the water pump, found this forum and read all about the cracked plastic intake manifold problem. Thinking this was it, I purchased the replacement Dorman manifold, new plugs and coils, and dismantled the beast.

When I got the manifold off, I did find a place where it appeared to be cracked and with confidence I reassembled the engine, with new water pump, serpentine belt, coils, plugs, etc.

I haven't even cranked it yet. I was filling the block with antifreeze through the thermostat housing opening in the intake manifold when I started hearing splashing. Looking under the truck, I could see water splashing between the engine and transmission. This just occurred last night. In the dark. I cannot access the area close enough to see where it is coming from. Does anyone have a clue?

My hope of course is that I missed something simple, easy and really stupid. Please give me some ideas. Could a freeze plug have corroded? Could I have a cracked block? The engine was running great, even driving home from my meeting. It hasn't used much oil, never leaked antifreeze before this.

I fear all my work has been for nothing. Going to try to get my iPod camera down back there to see if I can get a better view.

Thanks for any ideas you might think of. I really enjoy reading the problems and the fixes you guys come up with. I am hoping I can get my truck back.

cdlynes

Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 PM
coolguy1419
Senior User
Check and see if it has a heated pcv. If it does it runs coolant up through the side of the throttle body where the vacuum line connects then out to the back passengers side of the motor. It could be that hose has came off or split and is leaking.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Well respectfully I hope you learned to diagnose and locate troubles before flying off replacing parts with the costs and labor it takes.
There is a hose running from the front to the rear under the intake manifold.
Some where in that line likely is the leak if it appears at the rear area of the motor..
Good luck.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM
cdlynes
New User
Thanks for the responses. Bluegrass 7, my time is the biggest thing. The parts cost was very small compared to the hours spent. This truck has given me absolutely no trouble and has cost me only preventive maintenance for the past 9 years. I figured a new heater core and water pump were deserved after 180k miles. And I actually looked forward to changing the plugs and coils. The fan belt was getting a little frayed as well.

But I finally had a chance this evening to push my iPhone back to see what I couldn't see from the top. One picture is worth a thousand words. Dorman's intake part # 615-188 wasn't right for this head. I'll have to take it back down to the head again and find a new intake that will cover the far left water port. Everything else fitted, all the bolts and spaces for the plugs and holes for the injectors and rail, I should have felt back to where I couldn't see. Live and learn.

And kbsupercrew, thanks for your great photo of the rear of the 5.4L. At least now I know, and can make corrections.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
I dont think that port is used on your engine

Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
cdlynes
New User
Turns out Dorman part # 615-188 is the right manifold, but the manifold in the box did not match the numbers on the exterior of the box.

Marty Sievers at Dorman Products suggested that my engine might have been changed. Quite a quick email response.

My friendly AutoZone manager and I matched up the Dorman part he had in stock and it would have covered this port.

Correct, the manifold just covers that water hole. It has no function on this model, but must be covered. The circle on your photo is exactly the place that was exposed. It juts out toward the center of the V. When I get the manifold off, I will be able to see what part was actually sent to me.

Keep posted if you're interested. I'll update as it progresses.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
kbsupercrew
Senior User
Out of curiousity, I looked at my 2000 f150 5.4 vin L, with oem plastic mainfold, and that port is open and looks like your picture, did you see where the coolant is leaking?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM
willy j
Senior User
you guys are awesome

Originally Posted by coolguy1419
Check and see if it has a heated pcv. If it does it runs coolant up through the side of the throttle body where the vacuum line connects then out to the back passengers side of the motor. It could be that hose has came off or split and is leaking.
hey coolguy, I just want to start out by saying that these forums are awesome as you already know, I hope you guys get some kind of perks or something.Any way, its been a while since ive been here, last time i had resolved an issue with my electrical with all the thanks to a fellow moderator of yours named Franklin 2, what a life saver. I now have another issue. I hope it relates to your post here. I am in the process of adding on to my exhaust some rusted out ends which is a whole nother issue, but when i was underneath my truck which is a 2000 f150 4.2 v6, I noticed a big ol drip of bright green anti freeze hangin off the rear portion of the drivers side HEAD. when i saw that, all the wind left my sail and i said alot of diff. things i dont remember. I am wondering what the chances are of that tube being the source and if it could be on the drivers side? If not is there a way i can troubleshoot that head before I just jump to conclusions? thank for you time