1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'83 F250 Cleanin' up the air cleaning system

Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'83 F250 Cleanin' up the air cleaning system

So this, to the right, was the old housing unit. it was missing a vacuum tube, motor, and the opening in the lid did not sit well with my amigo, Red, and I. The PCV valve seems to be fine,the tube to the carburetor seems to be in good shape.
[/IMG]
then after school today I went junkyardin' and found a housing unit with a, eh halfway decent fram air filter in their... bonus. My filter wasn't too bad, (it fit too!) but I was more excited it had the vacuum intake and the motor!!! and the oil filler cap with a hose. It was in a f150 xl if i remember correctly.
[/IMG]
I was also excited because it had the little hose that goes back into the housing unit from the vacuum motor! I took it home and noticed it was little bit small, but the filter from my previous housing unit could fit perfectly inside it, and it rests perfect on the carb (could use a gasket... in time), I had to finangle with the oil filler cap, I kept the original and just attached it to the hose on the new housing unit.
[/IMG]
but then after I finished this, i noticed a vacuum hose with a kink in it. and these are where my questions stem from, first will this small air cleaning assembly be enough intake for my 460? thoughts, chastising remarks....
and... I replaced this small vacuum hose on the carburetor because of the kink in it and it seemed loose, but I was wondering what it is connected too?
[/IMG]
oh and while this picture is up.... is the hose with the wooden dowel in it the cruise control? god i hope so.... and the pic below has the silver doohickey that the vacuum hose on the right is hooked up to.
the doohickey is outlined in yellow and i was curious as to what thing outlined in red is... it plugs into the distributor...
[/IMG]
thanks for reading!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The dowel is plugging the timed vacuum port, that's where the vacuum advance (yellow circled object) on the distributor is supposed to connect to. It right now is connected to full time vacuum. The connector that's hooked to the distributor goes over to the ignition module, that's the brains that makes the whole ignition system work.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
460 distributors (stock) are connected to manifold vacuum through the thermal vacuum control valve on the water neck.
The vacuum line is probably short because the PO pulled everything loose from the yellow valve you can see in the third picture (to the left of the distributor) and tried to make it reach the distributor directly.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
Hey thanks a lot guys! So then do i plug up the full time vacuum port if i switch the hoses on the carb, or where does that hose go? Thanks FETruck. What is the yellow three prong valve ArdWrknTrk? and is that alright as it is?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

If you wanted to run ported vacuum to the distributor yes, you would just swap the line over.

The valve switches vacuum sources if the engine begins to overheat.
This increases the idle speed to turn the fan and water pump faster.

It does not need to be connected if you don't have an overheating problem.
But I could see it becoming an issue in Arizona.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
what is the difference between ported and full time vacuum?
and where would i hook up the lines that run from the yellow valve?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Ported vacuum is drawn from above the closed throttle plate(s)
There is no vacuum present with the throttle closed.

Manifold vacuum is highest with the throttle closed.

Both taper off as the throttle is opened wider and there is less restriction to equalizing with the atmosphere.

With the three port valve;
The distributor is connected to the center port, full manifold to the port closest to where it threads into the thermostat housing, and restricted manifold vacuum to the top most port.
(I imagine you could also run ported vacuum to the top port and manifold to the lowest one)

This is illustrated if you still have a vacuum routing diagram on your radiator support.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
This is illustrated if you still have a vacuum routing diagram on your radiator support.
Yes, exactly!

Denty - post a picture of your Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram on your radiator support under the hood, here is mine for reference:

Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
oh man one of those vacuum diagrams would probably be pretty helpful. sonofa..... I think the engine is suffocating, the air intake is too low. She stalls on me every afternoon leaving school, and i think it's the air. I think i flood the engine. With the old crappy housing unit, it would finally get enough air going and she would run okay. With this smaller enclosed one, I opened the hood, popped off the lid and it was like giving her a big breath of fresh air, she ran fine after that. I still have yet to pull off the PCV valve and check for suction. back to the junkyard again. thanks for your help!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 PM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
By the way the sad face was about the PCV valve. I love the junkyard! place is awesome!!!!! I pried off a bunch of Ford logos to put around the house. haaaaa So i was reading this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...m-lines-8.html, and if I use the ported vacuum i have a better chance of passing emissions? eh, either way i'm going to try out whatever you guys say to do. I cant find an 83 250 460 vacuum schematic anywhere on the interwebs. any of you have a stock one that you'd be willing to share?

Last edited by DentyBlueAZ; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: so i would not reply to myself twice.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
Could I run both manifold vacuum and ported vacuum to the vacuum advance valve?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, and no. If you tie both together and take that to the advance you will probably mess up the idle mix on the carb as the manifold vacuum will be sucking through the ported connection on the carb.

But, the 460's had manifold and ported run to a thermostatically-controlled valve which then connected to the advance. Under normal conditions you have ported vacuum to the advance, but if the engine starts getting warm it puts manifold vacuum to the advance. That gives the engine more advance at idle, which speeds it up, which spins both the water pump and the fan faster, cooling the engine.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
DentyBlueAZ
Freshman User
Thank you sir! One more question, in the picture above, next to the yellow three port valve, there's a gray 2 port valve, what is that?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I can't see it.
Hard to say without your vacuum routing diagram, or at least the emissions calibration code...
Probably for EGR, but you don't have an EGR plate underneath your carburetor anyhow.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I didn't find anything like that "in the picture above". What picture?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '83 F250 Cleanin' up the air cleaning system