1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Edge Insight Data-Ruby's First Run

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a chip is a good idea. Does the Edge have a probe you can put in the manifold to monitor EGTs? You'll need that with the chip. My truck had a TS chip with canned tunes when I got it. It's in Tyler's truck now. His truck has intake and exhaust, but otherwise is stock, and he sees a noticeable difference in power in the first two HP settings. The high idle is really nice. When you get ready to do injectors and turbo, or what ever power mods you want to do, you can send that same chip to any tuner of your choice for a re-burn to what mods you have done.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I think a chip is a good idea. Does the Edge have a probe you can put in the manifold to monitor EGTs? You'll need that with the chip. My truck had a TS chip with canned tunes when I got it. It's in Tyler's truck now. His truck has intake and exhaust, but otherwise is stock, and he sees a noticeable difference in power in the first two HP settings. The high idle is really nice. When you get ready to do injectors and turbo, or what ever power mods you want to do, you can send that same chip to any tuner of your choice for a re-burn to what mods you have done.
It does have a probe that plugs into the back of the Insight. I will be installing it next weekend before the TS gets installed. I have to admit I am getting a little excited about this. I just always avoided programmers and chips from reading so many horror stories about melted pistons, etc. That won't be me though

Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Racer X makes top notch E4OD parts. Really helpful guys as well. When my trans was on the Frits, I spent about an hour talking to them. If I had the dough, I would have gone with on of their trans. Racer X, BTS, John Wood all build fantastic trans. IIRC, Racer is the only one that builds their own TQ in house.

https://racerxusa.com/index.php?cPath=83

Old 03-01-2014, 12:10 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Alright guys, a little update. I did some digging and searching. I pulled my Y-inlet apart, cleaned the O-Ring since it was dirty and re-tightened all hoseclamps. I then, under Bill and Todd's advice, looked further. MY manifolds are clean and good, uppies are new and not leaking that I can see. There is no soot or exhaust when idling. So,what I did find was that my MAP line was almost cut in half at the connection near the fire wall! I cut the end off and replaced the clamp with a S/S hose clamp on each end of the line. Everything else seems to be good to the naked eye.

Test drive showed 15 psi on my boost, a small improvement, and it gets there much quicker. The truck is idling noticeably smoother and pulls quite bit better. MAP psi is 14 at idle and 26 psi at WOT. I am not sure what that means or if those numbers are good. I did not know the Edge could even read that parameter, but apparently it can.

I am sure it is not perfect, but its getting there. I plan on doing the probe for the EGT next weekend and then ordering a TS chip. I didn't think I would be doing that because I am all about longevity and I can't afford to be upgrading my tranny right now and other stuff that comes with more HP. I figure the high idle feature and the 50-75 HP settings are well worth the cost though. Thanks for the input so far guys!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bryon, MAP PSI is what the PCM see's all the time, it's atmospheric pressure plus boost. The PCM takes that reading and subtracts it from the BARO sensor to get boost. The BARO sensor reads only atmospheric pressure ( the altitude you are at). BARO sensor is located under the dash.

Without a BARO sensor the PCM would need to rely on MAP only. My Scan Gauge doesn't read BARO but your Edge might. If so you could take that parameter and turn it into an altitude gauge.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
That's some good info. Thanks for the education! I'll have to cycle through the choices and see if the BARO is one that exists. I'll get back to you.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had my insight for a while now and i just got rid of my gauges. i have the eas system i monitor boost and fuel pressure egt and have a turbo timer as well will be adding a backup camera when it arrives i like the fact it can datalog while i drive and read and clear codes as well