Speaking of Tuners - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Speaking of Tuners

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Dave HM Dave HM is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 97
Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Speaking of Tuners

I would be interested in a tuner for my 6.2, but always hear of them changing the shift points.

Is there tune out there that will not mess with the shifting in the tranny.

Tow Haul is too aggressive for me now the way it is.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Thenewboss's Avatar
Thenewboss Thenewboss is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 532
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
I run the 87 oct. econ. tune from 5-star and it does nothing to the shift strategies. 5-star doesnít mess with the tranny unless you are using the tow/performance tunes, or you ask them to.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Dave HM Dave HM is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 97
Dave HM is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the reply boss. Good news for me.

Are you pleased with the performance of what you are running?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Thenewboss's Avatar
Thenewboss Thenewboss is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 532
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave HM View Post
thanks for the reply boss. Good news for me.

Are you pleased with the performance of what you are running?
I am happy with it. The econ tune addresses the sorry throttle response that Ford engineered into this truck, really wakes it up. Another thing I noticed is that the adaptive learning of the trucks computer doesnít defeat the tune Iíve had this problem with other cars. The performance tunes are nice too, itís just tough to keep your foot out of it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Go Big or Go Home! Go Big or Go Home! is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 299
Go Big or Go Home! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewboss View Post
I am happy with it. The econ tune addresses the sorry throttle response that Ford engineered into this truck, really wakes it up. Another thing I noticed is that the adaptive learning of the trucks computer doesnít defeat the tune Iíve had this problem with other cars. The performance tunes are nice too, itís just tough to keep your foot out of it
If I read the info correctly from Ford, they detuned the 6.2L for the longevity of the engine,,These trucks first/foremost are work/fleet trucks meant for daily work load use..they focused on the core buyer. I figured this engine left stock hopefully would last well into 200k w/o failure..If you bought your truck for tow/haul as the recreational user like me, I would think adding a tuner could improve engine response but it also raises the engine from the intended specifications set by the engineers..What does that do the engine and durability? Do you go to full-syn oil to combat the increase heat generated by the tuner?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Thenewboss's Avatar
Thenewboss Thenewboss is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 532
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home! View Post
If I read the info correctly from Ford, they detuned the 6.2L for the longevity of the engine,,These trucks first/foremost are work/fleet trucks meant for daily work load use..they focused on the core buyer. I figured this engine left stock hopefully would last well into 200k w/o failure..If you bought your truck for tow/haul as the recreational user like me, I would think adding a tuner could improve engine response but it also raises the engine from the intended specifications set by the engineers..What does that do the engine and durability? Do you go to full-syn oil to combat the increase heat generated by the tuner?
I would imagine it doesnít hurt the engine anymore than running at 4k rpm up a steep grade with a load on for extended periods of time. Trying to answer the opís question is all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller rvpuller is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 3,284
rvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to beholdrvpuller is a splendid one to behold
I'm wondering if the 87 tune brings the 6.2 up to the performance the motor has after it has adapted to heavy towing after a long pull It doesn't take to long for it to go back to the light load performance after removing the load but it is fun to drive before it goes back.

Denny
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2014, 08:23 AM
JohnnyThunder JohnnyThunder is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Posts: 349
JohnnyThunder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
I'm wondering if the 87 tune brings the 6.2 up to the performance the motor has after it has adapted to heavy towing after a long pull It doesn't take to long for it to go back to the light load performance after removing the load but it is fun to drive before it goes back.

Denny
I ran over 4000 miles last summer down through the Smokies in Tennessee pulling or 34 ft TT and ran 91 octane the whole trip and I can honestly say that the truck with the 87 tow tune is far more responsive and makes more power as well. I can only imagine how sweet it would be with the 91 tow tune in it.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H&S tuner gear shift adjustment chi6488 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 2 10-16-2016 07:08 PM
Tuners for FORD F 150 98' ? Wolvez Computer Chips & Tuners 0 11-28-2013 10:30 AM
DP Tuner and a Transgo tugger Franko72 Computer Chips & Tuners 2 04-22-2010 08:38 AM
Tranny shift firmness/shift points liquid 1 1997 - 2003 F150 20 03-23-2007 08:32 AM
superchips 1704-A 3-4th upshift problem TERSEJR Computer Chips & Tuners 3 01-29-2006 10:44 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordģ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.