Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
New User

jhkitts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine Knock On Cold Start

Specs: 2003 Ranger Edge / 3.0 V6 / 5-speed 4WD / 238,000 miles

Yesterday my truck was in the shop for repair. Intake gasket, Transmission fluid change, all heater hoses, thermostat, serp belt and coolant flush. When I picked it up from the shop, which was after closing, I noticed a knocking on start up. From past experience on a different truck, it sounds like a cam that isn't oiling. After a few minutes the knock goes away. I drove for a few miles, turned off the engine and started it back up and no knock this time. This morning I started it, knock was back but went away after a few minutes. Oil was changed about 1500 miles ago. Running pennzoil 5/20 with a K&N filter. Up until yesterday the engine has been completely quiet. Was wonder if something may have clogged the filter or the drain back valve. Im definitely taking it back to the shop but wondered if anyone have any thoughts?

Much appreciated,
-J
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Try the specified Motorcraft oil filter.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 02-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Elder User

Tennesseepowerstroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Try the specified Motorcraft oil filter.
Why would you not think it has a Motorcraft filter? Just curious.
01 Escape V6 Yellow Moonroof 152,000 miles
Updated 10-24-14
Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Why would you not think it has a Motorcraft filter? Just curious.
Because he posted that it had Pennzoil 5W-20 & a K&N filter!!!!

(Ben Franklin)

Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Elder User

Dan Robertson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rod bearings sometimes knock on a cold start, while the oil pressure is building up. I agree on trying a different filter.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkitts View Post
Specs: 2003 Ranger Edge / 3.0 V6 / 5-speed 4WD / 238,000 miles

Yesterday my truck was in the shop for repair. Intake gasket, Transmission fluid change, all heater hoses, thermostat, serp belt and coolant flush. When I picked it up from the shop, which was after closing, I noticed a knocking on start up. From past experience on a different truck, it sounds like a cam that isn't oiling. After a few minutes the knock goes away. I drove for a few miles, turned off the engine and started it back up and no knock this time. This morning I started it, knock was back but went away after a few minutes. Oil was changed about 1500 miles ago. Running pennzoil 5/20 with a K&N filter. Up until yesterday the engine has been completely quiet. Was wonder if something may have clogged the filter or the drain back valve. Im definitely taking it back to the shop but wondered if anyone have any thoughts?

Much appreciated,
-J
After thinking about this some more, since the engine was opened up to replace the intake manafold gasket, the shop may have at least changed the oil, maybe the oil filter too, so look on your work order to see if either, or both of those are listed & if not ask them if either or both were changed & what was used.

Many shops still put in 10W-30, as its close to an all purpose crankcase lube & use generic oil filters to save on overhead, so if you live in cold country a 10W won't flow as fast as the 5W will on a cold start.

An oil filter with less filter media surface area will present more back pressure/lower flow rate on a cold start, so put either, or both of those together & the engine might protest on a cold start.

Let us know what you find out.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Freshman User

glenT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I pretty much only trust motorcraft filters.I was getting a start up knock with a napa gold filter that went away when I changed back to motorcraft (5.0, FL1-A)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM