Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Genius Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
LRShooting
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genius Idea?

Ive been looking for a damper/harmonic balancer for a 354 perkins. However, I have not had good luck finding one. I really am trying to find one thats broken so I can just rebuild it (Yes, you can rebuild dampers for the unbelievers, the rubber just costs 275$ a gallon, but will rebuild many dampers). That being said, most either have a used one that still works and charge 800$+ (these things are 1700$ new!) or have thrown all the broken ones out. Im not putting out more than $100 for a broken damper, $300 for a used one.

So heres my question: Can you have a machine shop lathe out the inside of a different pulley to fit the crank on the perkins? Theres going to be no problems with balance as the crank is already balanced. I am assuming this from the fact that the original crank pulley has no balancing marks of any sort. The only non-symmetrical part is the key way inside the pulley. It looks similar to the pulley style on my dodge ram.

BTW: This is part of Ford forum because this engine is going into a 1973 ford F-600 that currently has a WEAK 330 HD engine.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there is a good reason Perkins put a Harmonic Dampner on those engines.
NO way would I try to run one without it.
I think you risk snapping the crank.

Example
even though a 240-300 six have internally balanced Cranks they have dampners (a different one for each as they have different Cranks and strokes)
Vs
The old 2.3 inline 4 in the pintos had a much stiffer crank Mainly because it was so much shorter. They had no dampner at all. The pulley for the belts had the seal surface on it. That was it, no rubber anywhere.

Also: I'm sure you have seen the nice large Dampner on a 5.9L Cummins?
Ever seen what they put on the 3.9 4 Cyl Cummins? I don't think it has one. Look a lot like just a pulley to me.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 PM
LRShooting
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 80broncoman
I think there is a good reason Perkins put a Harmonic Dampner on those engines.
NO way would I try to run one without it.
I think you risk snapping the crank.

Example
even though a 240-300 six have internally balanced Cranks they have dampners (a different one for each as they have different Cranks and strokes)
Vs
The old 2.3 inline 4 in the pintos had a much stiffer crank Mainly because it was so much shorter. They had no dampner at all. The pulley for the belts had the seal surface on it. That was it, no rubber anywhere.

Also: I'm sure you have seen the nice large Dampner on a 5.9L Cummins?
Ever seen what they put on the 3.9 4 Cyl Cummins? I don't think it has one. Look a lot like just a pulley to me.
Oh, no of course. Itd be stupid to not use a damper. I just meant MAKING my own. Well, not me, but a machine shop. I was looking at it though and decided that the rubber placement would be to far to the center and would strain the rubber much much more. Back to the drawing board. Probably keep looking for a broken one.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
have you checked with ag or marine junkyards? I know that combines didn't have dampers, just pulleys. but i'm not sure about regular tractors and boats. I worked on an old forklift and i'm pretty sure it had one.

I wonder if there is another engine that would have one that would magically fit...

If you find a place that has some can you let us know? I'm gonna be looking before too long as well!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been in many, many engine parts plants, but never watched a damper assembly process, but I can't see this as a do it in your basement process.

The rubber most likely is first processed into a strip which is then fit around the hub and the damper ring is pressed on, followed by curing. That's what I would think.

You are suggesting that the hub and ring are placed in a fixture followed be liquid rubber poured into the gap, then the fixture is moved into an oven for curing.

Again, I don't know which is correct and I have long since lost contact with my compatriot's at the damper companies.

In either case, it doesn't seem like a "let's try it" project