Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market for an Excursion, common things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 AM
kas83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for an Excursion, common things to look for?

Hey guys, seems that my family will be out growing my crew cab F250 in September, so I need to upgrade. Will need seating for 7, but would love the full 3 bench capacity of 9 if I can find one. Anyways, I know that these share the same basic platform as my current truck, so I know most of what to look for underneath. Any quirks associated with them that the trucks don't suffer from?

Also, I'm torn on engine choice right now. The truck wasn't used a lot, but I have a feeling the next one will be. I know that a vehicle this size isn't designed for max mpg, but I do need the towing capabilities of a truck with the extra seating, with a powerplant that won't break the bank. I've been pleased with my current V10, just not sure I want to pay the gas bill on another. I see a lot of 6.0 powered ones around, not much more expensive than V10s honestly, but not sure I want to take on the known issues with those. 7.3s are outrageous, 5.4s seem to be a good buy, but everyone dogs them on the power side of things.

I really like being in a Ford, hope I can find a happy medium to fit me. The Suburban/Yukon XL is my only other option, and I haven't been real impressed with what I've seen from them.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This topic has been beat to death over the years. If you're not going to be towing a whole lot, then a V10 should suit you just fine. The V8 doesn't seem to come up too often, but the general consensus is to opt for the V10 if gas is your thing.

Take your time to wait for a clean example to come along. I would say get a 4x4 as there are more options to lift it rather than a 4x2 model. The higher trim levels got more goodies, just make sure everything works.

Check the usual things, brakes, suspension and steering components, and tires. OEM size tires can get expensive if replacement is needed, thankfully most parts are cheap though. Getting an Excursion from the south is probably ideal if you're going to do your own wrenching. Mine was a TX rig it's whole life... love not having to deal with rust issues.

Don't bother with a Suburban. Once you drive an Excursion, there is no comparison. Good luck!