New to nitrous systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
New to nitrous systems

Im new to the whole nitrous scene and wanted to ask where I should start?

I am halfways there to having enough money saved up to rebuild my motor and install Edelbrock heads, and I desided I wanted to plumb the motor for a small nitrous kit for extra power on demand. But I just dont know if the ideas I had are the right way to go about it.

One of my ideas was to use the mechanical pump that supplies the carburetor to also supply the nitrous fuel solenoid. Would there be any problem plumbing a T into the fuel pump outlet?

Another idea was to avoid the use of a nitrous delay box, since I want to hide the system, I found that some people splice into the white wire on the duraspark II module so the nitrous solenoids provide power to the white wire causing the module to retard the timing. I dont know how much of a retard to the timing this would cause but have anyone on here ever done this before?

Another idea that I had for this was to run a 1" nitrous plate to emulate the 1" EGR plate that would be replaced. But to do this I would have to drill a hole in the nitrous plate and plumb it with a hose barb fitting to supply vacuum to my PCV valve. Could there be any issues with doing this?

My last of my questions currently on my mind is pertaining to activation of the nitrous kit. I thought about having it activated off a toggle switch that could be activated before applying the throttle. But from what I have been reading, theres talk about waiting untill the RPM hits 2,500 rpm and have it activated by a pressure switch that the throttle hits at WOT. What is the proper way of activating the system? I want it setup where I can maintain stock operation but able to activate it when I want extra power or acceleration.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOS is a gas, from a bottle, it adds oxygen to the engine allowing fuel to burn faster, hotter and in high amounts it requires you to add fuel to the engine at the same time as the NOS. when you double or triple the horsepower that leaves the engine you need very expensive parts, or they will break....or the tranny ect. its just money, have fun

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First is why hide it?

How much retard you get will depend on which box.

If you need an RPM switch will depend on how much nitrous and how you plumb it.