Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a 79 tailgate fit my OBS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Will a 79 tailgate fit my OBS?

Like this one?

1973 1979 Ford F150 250 350 Pickup Rear Tailgate | eBay

When I bought my truck the trim panel was missing from the gate, so I just welded the holes up and used a grinder to get is as close to the body lines as I could. Not really noticeable but I really like the older tailgates with the FORD raised lettering stamped into them like the one in that link.

And hell if that doesn't fit, what other years/trim level had that gate, and would work on mine?

I don't care if I have to do some cutting/welding for hinges, cable mounts, or whatever... more concerned about the width and height of the overall assembly lining up with my body.

Thanks y'all... appreciate the help.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only thing i can think of that would be a bit differant, is where the latches are for keeping the gate closed. some of these older models have the latch in the middle of the piller, my 95 has them at the top. so if it's just that, then it's just a quick litte mod and u got your tailgate, best of luck, and what i've read of your posts, you're pretty handy with a welder. so this would be simple and would give your truck one awesome look. T.C.M.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Jarryd
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Nick, the guy with the orange truck is putting one on his.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brick nose and OBS tailgates interchange. You can get raised lettered brick nose tailgates if you look hard enough

One like this. No Fab work this way

Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
no completely different latches, and you can not modify the truck or tailgate to make it work.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
anything can be modified if you have the know how and right tools. have you seen the show '' Car Warriors '' these guys can fab up anything to make their cars look awesome! so a simple tail gate wouldn't be impossible, and from what i've read from Dixie's post, it would only be a simple mod, anything's possible if you put your mind to it. how you think they can squeeze a chevy engine into a volkswagon bug?

so Dixie if you can't find a tailgate that would just hook up to your truck, then work with what you have or find' i know you can do this. T,C,M,

Old 02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steering sticking

Sorry for the post. I am technologically challenged with this ipad.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Bierisch
Junior User
I agree with Tye, modifying wouldn't be my route either, but the Bricknose do have the lettered tailgates. Check my Bucket for more pictures of other tailgates.

Bierisch's Cooltacular Bucket of Photos of Junk

Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Alright, thanks guys.

So, the bricknose gate will drop right in, that's good to know and if I find a good deal on one, I'll run with it. But, I still like the late 70's gate better.

TJC Transport, how are the latches different? You don't think I can swap the latching system over? I can cut/weld at home, and if I need to use something I don't own, like a TIG welder, the guys here at work don't mind helping with projects... they got all the goodies except a CNC machine.

I realize that kind of fab work ain't for everybody, but it'll make my truck that much more my own.

Truck crazy man, yeah I agree. Anything can be modified with time, patience, and a good dose of creativity. A late 70's tailgate... if it ain't a drop-in replacement and I have to do some fab work to make it fit, then it'll just make my truck that much more my own.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
the 70s tailgate does look awesome, it adds a bold look to your truck. to be honest, i think ford should have stayed with that type of design. as for modification wise, i don't think there's much work to it. the 90s tailgate has the latches at the top, so if the latch for the 70s tailgate is in the center,which i think it is, if memory serves me right, then all you would have to do is move the latch pin to where it will match the tail gate. i don't think that's all that difficult. heck if they can put Lamo doors on a vechicle, then this would be a walk in the park.

In other words Dixie if you want that 70s look, and have the resourses and means of making it work, then all the power to you. Iv'e seen and done more drastic mods than just fitting a tailgate. Once you have it done and have it looking great,then that's when you stand out from the ordinary and be one of a kind, something to be proud of. best of luck in finding that tailgate. hope to see some pics once you have it done. T.C.M.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A while back I let someone borrow my 77 F100, they managed to destroy the tailgate.

He knew someone with a bricknose tailgate that we were going to use as a replacement.

The latching systems and mounting systems were completely different. We ended up ordering a new tailgate from Ford, which

fit perfectly. Until the truck was rear ended by a drunk driver.

Moral of the story: DONʻT LET YOUR FRIEND BORROW YOUR TRUCK.

Is grafting the letters to the OBS tailgate an option? There is a thread on FTE where "SUPER DUTY" has been grafted on to

older trucks.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Well, I can't find any pics of the latch and hinges. Next time I see one in the yard I'll at least eyeball it and take a few measurements and pictures, if not take it home with me. As long as the damn thing fits into the opening, I'm willing to make everything else work. I mean come on, it's a hinge and a couple of latches. The hardest it could be is a cut-n-weld job. Might have to fab up some new parts here and there... no big deal.

If I have to change the size of the gate itself... yeah probably not happening. Me and body work don't get along real good.

Originally Posted by khadma
Is grafting the letters to the OBS tailgate an option?
EDIT: khadma, sorry to hear about your truck. That really sucks... I hope whoever was driving the truck was ok.

I could graft letters on, but I like how the raised letters are inside the recessed area. Is the entire tailgate skin replaceable? If so, putting the old style skin on the newer gate might be an option.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
I have a 70s tailgate in the back room here I will try and get some measurements but the latches I know for sure are way different. The hinges are the same overall (I am using 89 hinges on my 64 trailer with a 70's tailgate.) Of course mine is the tailgate panel style not the raised letters (I believe it is raised letter under the panel). But for the hinges it does work a lot different 87-96 tailgates have a flat bar like to get the tailgate off easily I believe 70s doesn't (shouldn't be hard to modify).
Trav

Old 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM
truck crazy man
Senior User
It's obvious you guys don't watch much tv, even when it's in your own back yard. I watch the show '' Car warriors '' all the time, and the stuff they do on this show, is amazing! I'm pretty sure if theses guys were faced with a situation like this, they would laugh at it. like come guys,really is it that hard to do? I'm sure with these custom tailgates you can buy, requires a little tinkering with. also have you ever heard the song by Jhonny Cash, ONE PIECE AT A TIME, now i'm not saying that you can make a vechile from every year, but it's a good inspiration. anyway Dixie, all best in whatever you decide, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. T.C.M.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Hey Dixie just took some measurements of the 70s tailgate and measurements of the tailgates on my 88 F150 and our 91 F250 same measurements exactly. I think with some welding and fabricating it will come out nice. All you would have to do is change the strikers on the bed of the truck and throw it on there.
Trav

Quick Reply: Will a 79 tailgate fit my OBS?