1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

what to do about WTF light?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 PM
GR8NW
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get my water in fuel light to go out. I've purged the bowl multiple times though I've never seen water in it, changed the filter, changed the sensor. The light goes out when I unplug it, so from what I've read here that means the harness isn't grounding itself. I replaced the whole fuel harness last year after a catastrophic fuel bowl leak and subsequent bowl seal kit and fuel pump replacement. I also installed a new filter heater connector and element at that time (that's where the leak was).

When I replaced the WIF sensor, I cleaned the bowl with wd-40 and sopped all the fluid out with paper towels until dry. After the change, I fired it up and let it idle-- no light, and I thought, "whew". Too soon. When I got in it to go to town 10 min later, the light was back on.

I even checked the conductivity of the fuel I drained off last time! So therefore the WTF in the post title isn't a typo--it's what I've started calling the thing. What am I missing here?

All helpful suggestions are welcome. The following solutions have already been considered and (at least temporarily) rejected:

1) unplug sensor
2) remove bulb
3) cover light with black electrical tape

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't get a bunch of water in a tank of fuel somewhere did you? If you are sure there is no water in the fuel, just unplug it.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
My WAG is the sensor took a dump. I have never heard of one going bad, but if you are sure the fuel is good, and the light goes out when unpluged, about all that ios left is the sensor.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sensor goes to a little amplifier (controller). There is a small square looking box with a four wire plug. If it goes bad or gets moisture inside then it can give false readings. You might be able to pick one up at a junk yard to try or simply remove it and hit it with a heat gun to dry it out ... just a guess.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good info Jim. I always wondered what that little bugger was.

It's not outrageous to think that you got a sensor that was bad already. Maybe try Jims idea and if that doesn't work try a new sensor from Ford or International. If it still doesn't work and you're sure the fuel isn't full of water I'd revert to #1 on the list of rejected ideas.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LOL.......

Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madpogue
LOL.......
I caught that too, but I figured I better let it go......I know myself too well......I'd get in trouble

Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
LOL.......
I'd say its the perfect title.
Cause when the WIF comes you/I sayWTF now

Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
I'd say its the perfect title.
Cause when the WIF comes you/I sayWTF now
Yep......LOL!!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
GR8NW
Junior User
Thanks. As I said in op, wtf is what I call it now. Maybe that would be a good alternative to "check engine" on new cars. I'll check the little box; maybe it suffered a little in the great fuel spray of '13. It was leaking so fast the truck wouldn't idle, but out the other side of the fuel bowl, of course.

Is there any way to test a sensor like that? The one I got from Ford was in a plastic bag with a Ford part no. on it. It was sealed around a bag with an International part number, which had been blacked out.

Incidentally, item 3 on the list is what I found when I got my Dad's 95 f150--it had black tape over the airbag light. When I took it off, it was blinking code 53 at me--still don't know what that is.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Sorry but I have to ask, and I don't want to sound like a *****, but why not just unplug the dang thing along with the useless fuel heater and move on?
I know some guys just like to have a stock truck all oem etc.
But to me simpler is better. First thing I do is pull all that crap off the fuel bowl and simplify things. Pull the WIF sensor out and put in a pipe plug before it starts leaking (and it will) and pee fuel all over your hot engine.
The fuel heater's only useful job is to short out and blow the main fuse when you have your family in the truck with you 100 miles from home on a Sunday night. Unplug it now while you are thinking about it.

If you are worried what will happen if others drive the truck and put bad fuel in it, then the solution is simple: Don't let anyone else drive your truck.

Buy fuel from a good source and you won't have to worry about WIF. Drain the water from your bowl every oil change, change your fuel filter every other oil change or so and you are good to go.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine started doing this today, just on real quick, off real quick, before it would sometimes fade on and then back off right away. Not sure whats going on, and I had just got fuel too, going to keep an eye on her.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Mine started doing this today, just on real quick, off real quick, before it would sometimes fade on and then back off right away. Not sure whats going on, and I had just got fuel too, going to keep an eye on her.
Did you or have you ever power washed the engine? It could be just a connection issue where that module plugs in. When I first purchased my truck from PO it had a blown the power steering hose and oil was everywhere in the engine bay. I told him to clean up the engine and I'd give him cash. Well, he did clean it up at the car wash facility and after that it took about 6 months to get rid of the stupid WIF light.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
GR8NW
Junior User

why not just unplug the dang thing along with the useless fuel heater and
move on?
Good point, Dzl Jim. I suppose I'd like to keep the water-in-fuel sensor active because I can't always be sure of the fuel quality where I might need to fill up. And I'd rather be forewarned than having to diagnose a dead truck on a cold night. On the other hand, I've never had a diesel pickup die from water in fuel yet, and I've been using them as work/personal rigs for 15 years. Actually, this is the first time I've had an issue with a WIF light.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Did you or have you ever power washed the engine? It could be just a connection issue where that module plugs in. When I first purchased my truck from PO it had a blown the power steering hose and oil was everywhere in the engine bay. I told him to clean up the engine and I'd give him cash. Well, he did clean it up at the car wash facility and after that it took about 6 months to get rid of the stupid WIF light.
I have not pressure washed the engine, but when this was going on I was getting a car wash, but I had also just gotten fuel. The tank was mostly full though so I figured it couldn't happen that quick. I drove it al day today with no issues.

To the op, yeah I'm the same way, I like having that there in case I did get a bad batch. Cause you sometimes just never know. And if your on a trip or somthing then your flying completely blind. Good to know it's all working so if there is a problem you can take counter measures.