1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT i got a new job!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
OT i got a new job!

The past few summers i have worked for my dad. This past summer i really felt like i didnt belong there. He had me operating equipment more than i was in the shop, and i didnt feel like i was a good enough operator to be doing what i was doing. I started to feel like i was there because i was the bosses kid. Well ths summer that will change. Just today i had an interview with mack trucks and was offered a summer internship with one of the engineering departments. Im really excited about this. I applied for a bunch of internships, and this was the one i wanted the most. And ill be making a good amount of money. The only downside is that its a 50 min drive from my house, so ill be commuting almost two hours everyday. Ill probably get tired of it, but i couldnt turn down this offer!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the job. Sounds great to me. I've been unemployed for a long time now and decent jobs are hard to come by. I've also driven that far to work....after a while you don't even notice it. Gives you some thinking/praying/music time. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Congrats! Internships are THE way to get the foot in the door, don't waste the opportunity! Mack is a heads-up company too, lots of potential there.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Congratulations, that is great news. Here is your chance to show your intiative and willingness to apply your talents to the tasks at hand. If you have the heart for the job, a company like Mack will do what is needed to develop your mind for it. It has been my experience that a company values homegrown talent above all others as you move through your career...hopefully it will be a long and productive one for you.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Congratulations. Great way to show them what you can do.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Congrates on the new job, you will get used to the travel after awhile, been doing the hour each way now for 29 years, just a couple more to go.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Congrats, Nick! Sounds like the Mack plant in Allentown....

What does your Dad think? And it is great to get paid as an intern!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Good career - and personal - move. Internships are a great experience for both sides of the deal. Make the most of it and be sure to eliminate some alternatives that don't match your interests.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
That sounds like a great opportunity. Work hard and make every effort to learn all you can.
The willingness to learn, cheerfully taking on tasks, and doing what it takes to get the job done correctly are some of the most important things employers look for when hiring.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Congratulations!

A 50 minute commute isn't too bad. That's about where I draw the line. I spent a year at a job that was 85 miles one way from home. That was too far (especially working 10+ hours a day) but 50 minutes isn't too bad.

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel for my job. I've found that books on tape (CD) really make the miles fly by. You can borrow books on tape from your local library, rent them from Cracker Barrel or your local truck stop, etc.

Good luck with the internship
Bobby

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks guys! My dad is proud. When i first started working for him, he pretty much told me dont get into construction. He wants me to get into something else, so thats what im doing. I enjoyed construction, but its not for me. If i was just working in the shop on trucks and equipment,, i wouldnt mind that, but construction isnt for me. Im really excited about this though. When they gave me a tour of the plant, i couldnt help but smile when i wallked onto the floor and saw all of the truck cabs. I really hope i enjoy this, because to me it seems like a perfect fit for me.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats, this sounds like a perfect match for you!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Its refreshing to here someone excited about their job. I'm envious.
You're lucky to find a job doing something you like.

A think a big round of frosty beverage in your honor is called for here. Consider yourself treated to a frosty beverage

Bobby

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
True story that I thought I would share...
When I graduated from HS I went into the Navy, my best buddy went to work at Formica...not sure that he was an intern but suffice it to say he was on the bottom rung of the career ladder. One day he was working in the lab where some of the engineers and chemists were working on a problem that they were having with one of their products. I forget the details of the problem and what my buddy suggested as a solution but what happened later is the important part of the story. My buddy observed what was going on in the "meeting of the minds" and he offered a solution that impressed management so much that they offered him a full scholarship to the University of Cincinnati to study Chemical Engineering. He told them that he didn't want to go to school so he turned down their rather generous offer. The next day they fired him. He asked why...they said that there were many things that an employee could do wrong in a job but the worst thing was to waste a God-given talent.
A sundial is of little use in the shade...

Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
The past few summers i have worked for my dad. This past summer i really felt like i didnt belong there. He had me operating equipment more than i was in the shop, and i didnt feel like i was a good enough operator to be doing what i was doing. I started to feel like i was there because i was the bosses kid. Well ths summer that will change. Just today i had an interview with mack trucks and was offered a summer internship with one of the engineering departments. Im really excited about this. I applied for a bunch of internships, and this was the one i wanted the most. And ill be making a good amount of money. The only downside is that its a 50 min drive from my house, so ill be commuting almost two hours everyday. Ill probably get tired of it, but i couldnt turn down this offer!
Congratulations! A 50 minute drive here in Houston in the morning or the afternoon (and sometimes the middle of the day) can be as short as 6 or 7 miles. We have the worst mass transit of any major city in the civilized world here so it is all about cars. With an average of 150 people moving here per day it is only getting worse. I work out of my house/shop near the middle of the city so I often go against the traffic, but even that can take forever. I just finished a large job that took 3 months that was only 7 miles from my place. It took me at least 30 minutes to get there mornings and 45 minutes to get back in the late afternoons. So if you have a nice drive, enjoy it! Sounds like a great job.

Quick Reply: OT i got a new job!