Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Elder User

vintage56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweng1 View Post
I just use a craftsman shop vac With a exhaust hose outside thru a dryer vent
If you're using regular sand, be super careful about that dust. Silicosis and COPD and permanent respiratory issues are no bueno!
I fear the damage I might have done, unawares, with my home made media blaster back in my younger, much less careful days...
Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Coe owner and builder

pweng1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the tip. It is a cabinet blaster i use mostly that exhausts outside but i do have 2 pressure tank ones I better wear my big respirator with all of them.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Elder User

An even better option is using blasting beads. Further reduces hazard.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Elder User

Respirator too though
Old 06-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Coe owner and builder

This project will take many years

Ok Well between Mom in hospital and summer yard issues im just not making much progress. I was stripping parts off an old cab but it seems impossible even after 3 cans of WD 40 and the other stuff. I went to the local car show and talked to some guys with ford pickups for a little encouragement. Some told me they had theirs in the garage 12 years. I still cant seem to find a Coe owner close by. Even the donor truck has given me problems trying to change parts. Im wishing i had a gear head buddy like in the old days to help me out.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Coe owner and builder

I envy the guys with their big shops and helpers. Under the truck today i had thousands of little helpers, Yep ANTS. Crawling all over me until i had to stop. As soon as i can get these trucks mobile the better. Still looking for a good friend that like to do this.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Elder User

KNOW THE FEELING
it's a unique thing for boys our age to still be playing with trucks it seems...
hang in there, keep your vision
if I were close, I'd be helping bust YOUR knuckles!
kidding. tried putting a torch on 'em yet? hot wrench might work wonders...
JML
Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM
New User

HDWrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had to do a double take! I know those trucks well. The white colored COE that has the FORD logo on the door sat inside an old mill near Frederick, MD. I believe it had a Buick nailhead engine in it. The mangled cab laying in the back of that pick-up, I think, is what's left of a '52 COE that said Vienna Trash Service on the door (I have a photo of it from years ago). I haven't been over to the mill in a couple years, I guess he is starting to get rid of stuff now.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Coe owner and builder

has sold most his stuff

Yes He sold most of his trucks. I bought 3 from him. he was hoping to sell the land but the mill is not rebuildable. The cab in the back of the pickup is in real bad shape.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Coe owner and builder

The world working against me

Well I must say between my job , homelife and feeling my aches and pains. Im not gettingh much done. I am now at a point where reality has hit me. should i start these projects with all thats going on knowing i dont have the time and energy to finish.Should i just tinker with them for many years until i make progress in hopes of better days. Out of room for storage and working outside I know wintertime will be just be a nonproductive time for the trucks.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Elder User

das54 has a good reputation on FTE.das54 has a good reputation on FTE.
Hang in there and remember that it can be all about the journey, not the destination. Mine took 12 years and many time I had to just enjoy the bit of the project I was working on and other times when there was no progress I just had to enjoy the dream.
89 Jimmy 91 Suburban
97 ST1100 01 Malibu
96 22 ft Prowler camp trailer
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
I know the feeling. I have just about hit a wall with time, finances and skill. As a matter of fact, just this morning as I was crawling out of bed I got to thinking it may be 10 more years before I get done.....I vote for hanging in there. I'm confident it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Life happens, I've been way too busy to even look at my COE for a while now. If it's something that makes you happy then keep at it....you will get it done.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Junior User

Tropic is starting off with a positive reputation.
allan.craig1
We live side by each, I live in Barrhead, are you going to the auction in Stoney on the 16th, maybe we could meet there? I will try to buy an old ford cab for my top chop on my 52 COE.

AllanClick the image to open in full size.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Part of the dissassembly solution is using the right products! WD40 is a water repellant, NOT a penetrating oil or lubricant. (WD stands for Water Displacing) Throw it away or use it for what is was designed for, keeping things dry, and use a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or Pblaster for freeing corroded fasteners. Soak the fasteners with the penetrating oil a couple times a day for several days before attempting removal. Always use 6 point sockets and/or box wrenches rather than the more typical 12 point wrenches. There are special sockets available with curved teeth inside for removing very rusted and/or rounded off fasteners, but often times it is easier/makes more sense to simply tighten nuts and bolts until they break if you will be replacing them anyway, than to try to unscrew them.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks