1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 cab replacements

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 cab replacements

I am replacing 1953 cab corners-Front & back. I have found patch panels from different sources. I do not see any panel replacements in any catalogs to order the backside of the front corners? Would that part be on the rocker & would I have to order an entire rocker to get the part that I need only for the front cab corner? Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I thought I could make my own replacement, but there seems to be a rounded valley in the original that followed on thru the rocker panel to the back. This may be for the cab skirt hangers. Thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, both of the back sides (and the lower face side) of my front cowl were shot as well. I ended up fabricating new pieces. I see that LMC offers INNER KICK PANELS that are part, if not all of what I think you are looking for. The pieces that I made only replaced the rocker panel portion that was rotted out on my truck. I didn't make an entire new INNER KICK PANEL. The same LMC catalog (I'm looking at the 2014 Winter edition) has ROCKER PANELS, but for a '53, it doesn't look like they have that front portion that closes up the bottom of the cowl. Those INNER KICK PANELS are about $80 each.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Go to MidFifty Ford and pull up their Cab Repair catalog. They should have everything you need. I replaced all of my driver side corners including the rocker panel and inside gusset that holds the kick panels.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Lakota53 is right. Midfifty does sell just the panel pieces that you are looking for. If I had seen them years ago, I would not have struggled to make my own.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
I had ordered the cowl parts from Mid-Fifty's. The young lady could not locate that part for me. I will call and inquire again. I could fabricate the part without the curved center section, but it may be needed for the skirt hanger to extend to the front cowl corner. Did anyone fabricate the inside cowl corner without the curved section? Thanks again for all the response. I will follow back up on both (Mid-fifty's & LMC). Psmith1951

Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
I made another call to MidFifty's. They did have what I needed for the front cab repairs. They first sent me a 2012 catalog that did not list this item. They have since sent me a 2014 with some parts that I ordered. 2014 catalog has what I need to order.
Many thanks to all of you that have helped me. I am humbled but glad I have found some friends.
I will try to start some pictures of the restoration sometime soon. psmith1951

Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Looking forward to them pictures!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Have any of you ordered parts from LMC I'm guessing thier parts would be the same as Midfifys

Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
snook715
Senior User
Mid Fifties is my vote too.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Psmith1951
Freshman User
I have not looked at the LMC site or have not ordered any parts from there. I have looked at many sites including Dennis Carpenter, F-100 central, & others. Mid Fifty's seemed to have the more complete items that I needed, even though Dennis Carpenter is only an hour away. I will be using several sites to order parts. I do look for the best deals if time is not an option.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Have any of you ordered parts from LMC I'm guessing thier parts would be the same as Midfifys
I bought two reproduction front fenders from Mid Fifty. They were poorly fabricated. The shipping cost so much, that I figured I'd take a shot at fixing the defects, rather than pay the shipping back to Midfifty and then back to me again with the replacements. I posted my comments on that fender quality with photos several years ago. I recall that there were some responses confirming that they were pretty bad. I thought that the problem was limited to the sheet metal at the bottom front of each, but this summer I finally got around to fitting them on my truck, and it turns out that some of the bolt holes to attach one to the cab weren't even in the right place. I know that Mid Fifty doesn't make these fenders, so they aren't responsible for the crummy work. But, it would have been nice if there had been a little quality control before they shipped. I had ordered many $ worth of stuff from Midfifty up to that point. I do business with LMC and Denis Carpenter, now. I'll just have to buy my own Tootsies rolls from now on. If I were to order large expensive body parts again from anybody, I would ask for some digital photos emailed to me showing exactly what they intend to ship. These days, practically every hand held electronic device can take a photo. When something costs over $800, seeing what you getting for your money isn't asking a lot. Okay, I've vented enough.....

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
I have looks at LMC but bought most my stuff from Hot Rods Trucks and Mid Fifty. I like Hot Rods because they bring stuff to the shows and save me shipping and last time I bought some fenders and related stuff they gave me 10 percent off my total. Fenders fit perfectly. I may have just got lucky I assume they all get their fenders and door from the same place.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts
The reason I asked was basicly to confirm that the products are the same quality. I have spent thousands at Midfifty not completely disappointed with what I got. My fenders came damaged due to UPS ruff handling with a forklift. Many of the holes in the parts were nowhere close to being able to bolt together without having to drill new holes and filling others. My biggest pet peeve was the signal light housings that were supposed to fit a 56 didn't because they said know one was making them for the 56 so they sent 55's instead and said I'd have to make them fit even though they have 2 separate part numbers they are no where close to being the same. I think the next couple grand will be spent somewhere else. Just wanted someone to help confirm the quality is basicly the same no matter where.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I had griped about repop corners awhile back.

I went to the f100 supernationals last year and bought parts from several venders. Most of the black parts were oval brand. No two were the same.....

All of the supposed usa unpainted parts sucked as well. I have not used one panel that hasnt had to be modified.

There was over half an inch difference in the two inner corners. The rib on one outer corner was a quarter inch narrower than the rib on the back of the cab. One had an extra lip where it tucks into tge door panel. Both door pillar edges didnt match the pillars and had to be reworked.

Has anyone bought good front and rear fenders? Makes me want to consider fiberglass.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
I had griped about repop corners awhile back.
Has anyone bought good front and rear fenders? Makes me want to consider fiberglass.
That's a good point. Maybe there just aren't any good steel reproduction fenders.

Quick Reply: 1953 cab replacements