6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Questions about EGR Valve.. I need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Oryo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about EGR Valve.. I need help!!!!

I know the site has many, many threads asking about the EGR Valve and here is another one...LoL

I purchased a 2005 6.0 F-250 last July and it currently has 98,000+ miles on it. When I purchased the truck I was clueless (Still am!) to the Ford trucks or diesel because I had a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 for over 14 years.

I had no idea about the EGR issue and I should of done my research before I bought the truck. Sad thing is none of my friends who know about diesel trucks told me anything but once I bought this one they were all over me.

I have noticed the past 2 weeks the truck is running sluggish so I took it to my mechanic. He told me my EGR valve is bad and needs to be changed. I believe he ran it and did a correlation test.

Results show engine oil temp. at 212 degrees F, engine coolant temp. at 208 degrees F, system passed.
Performed Exhausted Gas Recircualtion (EGR)test EGR valve failed test. Recommend: Replace EGR Valve.

He's charging me $287 for new EGR valve and $80 for labor plus tax and I have been reading the threads here about cleaning the EGR valve which doesn't sound too bad. I asked him about it and he told me get a couple of cans of Carb. cleaner & a wired brush. He told me to try to remove as much carbon as possible but there is no guarantee that this would help truck because the sensor on valve can be bad.

I have purchased some new Orings to replace the old ones just in case I decide to clean it.

My questions:

1. If I clean valve would it help because I'm thinking the original valve on truck must be the original and probably has never been cleaned before so is it worth cleaning?

2. I found some NEW EGR Valves on Ebay ranging in prices of $83-$140. Is it safe to buy to replace old one from any of the sellers?

3. If I replace or clean the valve once the old one gets disconnected is it going to put up a code when I connect clean or new valve after it's all done?

4. If I do any of these 2 options any advice or warnings you can give me?

Here are some of the sellers on Ebay and noticed some or Ford dealers:

EGR Valve Ford 6 0L V8 Diesel TURBOCHARGED OHV 4F1976 EGV1031 New | eBay

New Ford Motocraft Powerstroke Diesel EGR Valve CX 2020 5C3Z 9F452 AA | eBay

Ford 3C3Z 9P458 AA EGR Valve | eBay

I'm thinking of purchasing this one below:

Ford 3C3Z 9P458 AA EGR Valve | eBay

I need your help and any advice I can get..Thank you

Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull it and clean it. It may take a little to remove it if it hasn't ever been removed but there are a few tricks. Read through the link below. If you have any questions or help removing/cleaning it, post up. There are plenty of folks that have done this. I haven't had to take mine out.

Good luck, hope it only needs cleaning. My bet is on your success.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...egr-valve.html

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM
bcfarmer
Junior User
Just watch the little hole at the top and don't let any of the cleaner get into it.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM
IHbase
Elder User
When mine went, I tried cleaning. No luck. Ended up buying a reman from Ford. I have no insight on other options. If you have issues pulling the old one, rotate it then use a pry bar under the ear - comes right up. -Mike

Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those valves are expensive compared to an EGR delete kit.

You should be able to clean it up just fine. If the electronics have failed, you are out if luck and need a new one though.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

I bought one of the e-bay ones for 60 bucks 3 or 4 years ago, and have never had a problem with it. However, I use a cetane additive every time I fuel up, and I'm fairly convinced it helps with egr and turbo gumming.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Oryo
New User
Thank you everybody for your input and advice.

I would like to do a EGR delete but I'm in California and the laws are really strict her and with the STAR system smog that started last year its even worse to get anything to pass now.

I'm going to try to clean my old one out first with a toothbrush and plenty of carb cleaner.. If that doesn't work, then I will end up buying a new one and clean it out every 10k-15k.

I use 16 oz of Diesel Kleen in every tank full since I purchased the tank last July. That I learned from this fine site!

Thank you again and I'm so glad I found this site! Ory

Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Good luck with the cleaning. Hope it works out for ya. BTW, what's the STAR system? I live in Cali, but a remote portion of the state. Takes a while for word to get over here.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Oryo
New User
What is a STAR Smog Check? How do I find a STAR station?

What is the difference with a regular smog station and a STAR smog station?

You received your DMV renewal notice and discovered it's asking for a smog inspection at a STAR station. No need to panic. All this means is that the DMV has chosen your car to be inspected at a smog station which is monitored closely by the BAR and must conform to high standards established by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs.

Some STAR stations are only authorized to perform smog inspections. These stations are known as STAR Test Only stations. Other STAR certified smog centers can perform smog inspections as well as smog check repairs. These smog stations are known as STAR Test & Repair stations. Both STAR stations are allowed to perform regular and STAR smog checks.

STAR Test Only Centers are only authorized to perform smog inspections and are not allowed to perform smog check repairs.
STAR Test & Repair Stations are authorized to perform STAR smog inspections, as well as repair and certify all vehicles.
If the DMV is asking for "Smog Certificate Required at a STAR station" you can visit either of these smog test center types.

STAR certified smog station duties and responsibilities

STAR Test Only Center - Smog test only centers are authorized by the State of California to perform both Regular and Test Only smog inspections. They are not allowed to perform any smog repairs. A Test Only center's main obligation is to perform a non-bias and accurate smog inspection. They are certified to inspect all DMV required vehicles.

STAR Test & Repair (CAP) - STAR Test & Repair stations are authorized by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs to perform, along with smog check repairs, regular smog inspections and test only smog checks. A STAR Test & Repair station is the only type of smog check center which can inspect, repair and certify any and all vehicles. These stations are participants of the State's Consumer Assistance Program and are inspected by the State of California monthly.

STAR Test & Repair stations may also perform smog repairs on vehicles participating in the Consumer Assistance Program.

How are vehicles selected for STAR smog check?

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is STAR station designated or not:

Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)
High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.
A random sample of all vehicles registered in California and being driven on public roadways.
If your vehicle has been selected to undergo a STAR smog check don't be alarmed. Simply locate a convenient STAR certified smog station and proceed with the inspection. The smog technician conducting the test can inform you of any serious issues. There are several hundered STAR smog stations throughout California and you can find one in your area using our STAR Smog Station Locator.

How much does a STAR smog check cost?

STAR smog stations, as with all smog stations, are independently owned and operated businesses. The owners of these smog test centers or test & repair stations have to right to choose the amount they will charge consumers for their services. Except for an $8.25 State Certificate fee, STAR Test Only centers and STAR Test & Repair stations will have different prices, typically between $29.95 and $59.95 plus state fee.

Find a STAR station by using our smog station and coupon search tool. Select "STAR Station Smog Check" from the drop down list, enter your zipcode and go.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Okay, thanks. Sounds like they're getting fed up with noncompliance in Cali. Or are these star stations a national thing? Looks like it's just in Cali.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Oryo
New User
It looks like it's Cali only

Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Did you have any luck in cleaning your EGR?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Oryo
New User
I just did the cleaning... The valve was covered in soot and carbon that was thick that you couldn't even see through the top part of the valve..IT WAS NASTY!!!! I spent about 45-60 minutes cleaning it with several toothbrushes and 2 cans of carb. cleaner and replaced the Orings. The valve looked brand new once I was done with it.

The hardest part was pulling the valve out but thanks to you fine people and this awesome site I just learned how to do this and saved myself a ***** load of $$$... I just drove it around the neighborhood for about 30 minutes and can tell the difference...THANK YOU! THANK YOU!