6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DFCM draining...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
I can help Matt...It's because all people don't think or rationalize the same as you or I or the guy down the road. We have different experience and opinions. Been this way since the cave man. haaa haa
Great inventions, discoveries and breakthroughs didn't come from sheep (easy now...not calling anyone a sheep).

I'm glad there are people that ask questions. I'm an A&P mechanic and constantly update maintenance and operation manuals. The publications are intentionally not bound so we can remove and replace pages. Examples of updates are...
1. Procedure clarification or improvement
2. Addition of PM action and/or interval
3. Removal of PM (Many PM's were found to be unnecessary, performing them only caused parts fatigue).
4. Spelling and grammer

Nothing gets changed by following the herd. At this point I personally don't give a rats behind on who does what. My thoughts are on taking the gray out of the "semantics of a single sentence" especially
when that sentence is written by the OEM who decides who pays a potential $12K price tag.
I Follow OEM manuals religeously, Because of the dialogue in this thread and kper05 sparking the thought to question the interpretation of the manuel I am going to do a 180 and start draining my DFCM once a month unless I see an OEM clarification to do otherwise. .
Keep 'em flying

BTW: Those sheep.......ya might wanta keep them away from the folks in Texas........
Just saying........Ya never know.........

Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I'm still clicking ignore on my calendar reminder from Sunday that it's time to drain. Why can't it do it itself? ROR.
Yours doesn't...

Put the key in the ignition......turn on, But do not start.
Turn the head lamps on then off 4 times in quick succession (max 6 seconds).
Then honk the horn for 2 seconds.

Get out of the truck........look underneath. Diesel is flowing out of the filter/water separator for 10 seconds.

Did you put the jar under the drain port prior to all the above.........

Ya gotta love smart azzes..........

Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Roy, I tried your suggestion and all that happened was my sunroof and rear window opened and closed a few times, but no hands-free draining of the DFCM. I must've gotten the sequence wrong.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Lets say you get your fuel at the same place all the time.....

You check for water 12 times in one yr & its fine , no water, I think its safe to safe to say you can go 2 or 3 months between drains, anyone agree????

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER

You check for water 12 times in one yr & its fine , no water, I think its safe to safe to say you can go 2 or 3 months between drains, anyone agree????
I'll buy that and even admit to doing it! Still not the same as just waiting for the light of doom to appear.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang... I'm 65 with bad knees, bad back, bad shoulder plus I'm 100 lbs over weight and yet I'm not so lazy or so busy that I can't take 5 minutes once a month to crawl under my truck and drain the water filter... No wonder the other countries think Americans are all fat and lazy..

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 2piecespecial
So after all that, you see it my way. I'm glad I could help out another pack of the "Herd. My work here is done Lois!
Obviously, I'm not a member of the "Phil Herd."
touche'

Good stuff Larry.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country

It would be interesting to see if once a month, the water is so minimal you can't really see it, but three or four months you might see the little water bubbles appearing? an accumulation thing.
Of course even once a month doesn't help the one "bad fill". Then it's all about relying on the WIF to hopefully save our butts.

Originally Posted by 720Deere
I'll buy that and even admit to doing it! Still not the same as just waiting for the light of doom to appear.
True Matt
...curious as to what your seeing in the jar when draining on some of your longer intervals?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Javi1
Dang... I'm 65 with bad knees, bad back, bad shoulder plus I'm 100 lbs over weight and yet I'm not so lazy or so busy that I can't take 5 minutes once a month to crawl under my truck and drain the water filter...
Somebody get this man a lolly-pop! (just kidding Javi1, no ill intent)

I'm 100 lbs over weight ...
... No wonder the other countries think Americans are all fat and lazy..
hmmmm

Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
Somebody get this man a lolly-pop! (just kidding Javi1, no ill intent)

hmmmm
Yep... I'm fat but that doesn't mean I'm lazy I still work 50+ hours a week and do my own yard work. And as I said... I'm not so lazy or so busy that I need to forgo draining the water filter once a month..

BTW not having a working thyroid is a bitch...

Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
OutlawII
Junior User
This thread!! lol When im running hard in the summer i drain it weekly,i would also say it makes a difference if u let it sit overnight before draining lets the water accumualte in the bottom of the housing. This is what i have noticed in equipment at work i would assume it would apply to these trucks also,same basic filtering principle.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

Can't do that, I'd run out of fire starter.

On a more serious note, when not traveling, I fill up once a week. My interval for checking/draining the filter should be different than someone who fills up more or less than I do per week or month. Using engine hours, gallons used or miles would be a much better maintenance interval than monthly.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Yep... I'm fat but that doesn't mean I'm lazy I still work 50+ hours a week and do my own yard work. And as I said... I'm not so lazy or so busy that I need to forgo draining the water filter once a month..

No ill intent Javi1... got some med issues myself.
Somebody used the lolly pop ribbing on me awhile back when I was bragging about myself and I just had to use it

The thread kind of moved passed the "bitch, bitch, bitch" , "lazy or not" subject quite a few pages ago.
I'm not lazy either

Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User

Javi. sorry to hear about your medical issues but then you should know it doesn't make you lazy if you can't do something.

Early on in this thread, I posted about my 78 year old neighbor who has a 6.7L and finds it difficult to climb under his truck (two wheel drive with running boards). He has a host of medical issues that he doesn't "share". He's a proud man and only retired 3 years ago. The only complaint he has was the diesel running down his arm.

He tows a large 5th wheel (buying a Prius is not an option).
He now chooses to drain "once in awhile". He's not a lazy American.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 AM
jd350b
New User
phil-turbodiesel where are you getting these pictures! ILMAO

I'm not lazy either, I just don't want to break my nails! Just kidding.

Hey guys, is it ok to pour the fuel back in my tank? My uncle just tossed it on the ground.

Obviously if there is any water or dirt in it I won't but what's the best way to get rid of it? Put it in the garbage?

Quick Reply: DFCM draining...