6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DFCM draining...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM
bronco1971
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright you guys talked me into it even though my dealer said I did not need to. It took about 2 minutes total between finding a jar and climbing under the truck. I have about 6000 miles and no sign of any water in the jar. Mine leaked out the handle also.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
I think it would be handy to have a similar drain on the bottom of the fuel tank. I'd like to be able to drain the crap that eventually settles out of the fuel but doesn't get picked up by the fuel pump.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
2piecespecial
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
OK Gents, It may look like I'm beating a dead horse here...I'm not.

We clearly know what each other thinks about the monthly draining, not trying to change anybody's mind...just calling it what it is..."Just the facts Jack"

You gotta list ALL the facts man. Holding back information isn't being forthcoming You have to finish reading the sentence...starts with "OR" (see below picture). As far as Why wouldn't anybody take the time... Read the thread dude, that's what it's about.

Thanks for the document. My 2012 did not come with it.
However it gives the option of draining monthly OR when the "Water in Fuel Lamp" illuminates.

Monthly drainers are actually going by the book ...The guys that wait for the WIF light to come on before draining are also going by the book!

With that said, it's all up to the guy who owns the truck

You are Totally right and I'm Totally wrong, Feel Better?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 2piecespecial
You are Totally right and I'm Totally wrong, Feel Better?
Nope, never felt bad just trying to contribute.
Gotta get all the info out there so we can hash it out and learn stuff. Stating half the sentence from a book makes little sense (not saying it was intentional)

kper05 brought up a good point...how do we interpret the "OR".
1. Do you "choose" one OR the other. (monthly or WIF)
2. Is it both (always do it monthly , or sooner if the WIF comes on)

We'll never know... haaaaaa haaaa

Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I take the programmer's approach to the 'OR' logic.

Truth table for an 'OR'
Code:
A B | A OR B
0 0 |    0
0 1 |    1
1 0 |    1
1 1 |    1

We are going to assert that the DFCM water separator bowl has been drained at least once in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Let 'A' be a test of the time since the last time the DFCM bowl was drained and whether that time is EQUAL or GREATER-THAN one month, AND;
Let 'B' be the threshold for the Water-in-Fuel sensor, with a logic high being above threshold.
So the question you ask is, Has 1 month or more elapsed since the last time the last time the DFCM bowl was drained? If the answer is true, then drain the DFCM as per the procedure outlined in the manual or standard operating procedure.
The next question you ask is, Is the Water-in-Fuel indicator triggered and in an illuminated state? If true, then drain the DFCM.
If it has been one month or more since the last time the DFCM has been drained AND the Water-in-Fuel indicator is active, then drain the DFCM.
If it has not yet been one month since the last time the DFCM was drained AND the Water-in-Fuel indicator is NOT active, then the DFCM does not need to be drained.

You can flowchart it, you can write up a Karnaugh map, you can do whatever, that is the outcome. You are testing for TWO conditions here, not testing for one or the other condition.
To me the wording is very clean cut.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't really seem all that difficult. There is one word missing that would make that sentence so much more clear. Drain monthly or sooner if the light comes on. The regular interval is monthly. If the light comes on prior to the 30 day interval, obviously it would make sense to drain it then and not wait the full 30 days. I can't figure out why people refuse to do such an easy maintenance item just because they want to argue over the semantics of a single sentence. Well to those that hang their hat on the "OR", I only ask do you set aside money weekly or will you be able to pay the $12,000 lump sum? Some victories cost more than others!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
It doesn't really seem all that difficult. There is one word missing that would make that sentence so much more clear. Drain monthly or sooner if the light comes on. The regular interval is monthly. If the light comes on prior to the 30 day interval, obviously it would make sense to drain it then and not wait the full 30 days. I can't figure out why people refuse to do such an easy maintenance item just because they want to argue over the semantics of a single sentence. Well to those that hang their hat on the "OR", I only ask do you set aside money weekly or will you be able to pay the $12,000 lump sum? Some victories cost more than others!
Tried to rep ya Matt, for the common sense views, but it said I need to spread it around !
So I will just wave!
Tim

Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I can't figure out why people refuse to do such an easy maintenance item just because they want to argue over the semantics of a single sentence.
I can help Matt...It's because all people don't think or rationalize the same as you or I or the guy down the road. We have different experience and opinions. Been this way since the cave man. haaa haa
Great inventions, discoveries and breakthroughs didn't come from sheep (easy now...not calling anyone a sheep).

I'm glad there are people that ask questions. I'm an A&P mechanic and constantly update maintenance and operation manuals. The publications are intentionally not bound so we can remove and replace pages. Examples of updates are...
1. Procedure clarification or improvement
2. Addition of PM action and/or interval
3. Removal of PM (Many PM's were found to be unnecessary, performing them only caused parts fatigue).
4. Spelling and grammer

Nothing gets changed by following the herd. At this point I personally don't give a rats behind on who does what. My thoughts are on taking the gray out of the "semantics of a single sentence" especially
when that sentence is written by the OEM who decides who pays a potential $12K price tag.
I Follow OEM manuals religeously, Because of the dialogue in this thread and kper05 sparking the thought to question the interpretation of the manuel I am going to do a 180 and start draining my DFCM once a month unless I see an OEM clarification to do otherwise. .

Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,149 Likes on 1,686 Posts
You go Phil, I agree

Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Can't argue with that Phil!

BTW Nice sheep

Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM
2piecespecial
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
I can help Matt...It's because all people don't think or rationalize the same as you or I or the guy down the road. We have different experience and opinions. Been this way since the cave man. haaa haa
Great inventions, discoveries and breakthroughs didn't come from sheep (easy now...not calling anyone a sheep).

I'm glad there are people that ask questions. I'm an A&P mechanic and constantly update maintenance and operation manuals. The publications are intentionally not bound so we can remove and replace pages. Examples of updates are...
1. Procedure clarification or improvement
2. Addition of PM action and/or interval
3. Removal of PM (Many PM's were found to be unnecessary, performing them only caused parts fatigue).
4. Spelling and grammer

Nothing gets changed by following the herd. At this point I personally don't give a rats behind on who does what. My thoughts are on taking the gray out of the "semantics of a single sentence" especially
when that sentence is written by the OEM who decides who pays a potential $12K price tag.
I Follow OEM manuals religeously, Because of the dialogue in this thread and kper05 sparking the thought to question the interpretation of the manuel I am going to do a 180 and start draining my DFCM once a month unless I see an OEM clarification to do otherwise. .
So after all that, you see it my way. I'm glad I could help out another pack of the "Herd. My work here is done Lois!
Obviously, I'm not a member of the "Phil Herd."

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm still clicking ignore on my calendar reminder from Sunday that it's time to drain. Why can't it do it itself? ROR.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by breeno
Fair enough, I see that intent now ... Do it regularly when the truck doesn't complain and also ASAP whenever the truck complains

Rinse, repeat

A bit off topic (which is funny given the path this thread has taken) I think the drain is also damn handy for grabbing some campfire starter fluid whenever needed
I refill my charcoal lighter fluid bottle with the drained diesel and use it for campfires. I also use it in my salamander heater in my shop. Just a little bit mixed with the No. 1 diesel for my heater.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,986 Likes on 1,594 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
At the rate we're going, there will be instructions with shoes. Just wait, LOL.
Do be careful boys..........

Don't use the hair dryer in the shower...........

Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,986 Likes on 1,594 Posts
Originally Posted by TRENT310
I take the programmer's approach to the 'OR' logic.

Truth table for an 'OR'
Code:
A B | A OR B
0 0 |    0
0 1 |    1
1 0 |    1
1 1 |    1

We are going to assert that the DFCM water separator bowl has been drained at least once in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Let 'A' be a test of the time since the last time the DFCM bowl was drained and whether that time is EQUAL or GREATER-THAN one month, AND;
Let 'B' be the threshold for the Water-in-Fuel sensor, with a logic high being above threshold.
So the question you ask is, Has 1 month or more elapsed since the last time the last time the DFCM bowl was drained? If the answer is true, then drain the DFCM as per the procedure outlined in the manual or standard operating procedure.
The next question you ask is, Is the Water-in-Fuel indicator triggered and in an illuminated state? If true, then drain the DFCM.
If it has been one month or more since the last time the DFCM has been drained AND the Water-in-Fuel indicator is active, then drain the DFCM.
If it has not yet been one month since the last time the DFCM was drained AND the Water-in-Fuel indicator is NOT active, then the DFCM does not need to be drained.

You can flowchart it, you can write up a Karnaugh map, you can do whatever, that is the outcome. You are testing for TWO conditions here, not testing for one or the other condition.
To me the wording is very clean cut.
Good Job........

1972 advanced Electronics and Computer Maintenance School .....US Navy Millington TN. I was an instructor for 2 years.
Boolean Algebra....or Logic

Quick Reply: DFCM draining...