6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DFCM draining...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
I made the list too Savage, thx Phil........

Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
I made the list too Savage, thx Phil........
124,906 posts!!! You better have made the list!!!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I don't have to tell you that all those posts aren't tech related, I spent A LOT of time in the chapter BS threads.......

Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
Originally Posted by GIGGER
I don't have to tell you that all those posts aren't tech related, I spent A LOT of time in the chapter BS threads.......
I know Gig! No disrespect meant!! I've seen ya in almost every section of FTE I have looked at....

Ya know your the only person to ever give me reps!!! Your the man as far as I'm concerned!! I don't even know what reps are or how to give them or what they even mean!!!

FTE is great bc of all the guys listed and a bunch of others too!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I know we're off track but reps aren't really worth anything, if you like what a member has to say you can rep the guy, just go to the little heart in the top right corner of the guys post & clic on , then leave a little note in the box that pops down, live it up bro

I know FTE is the best & no disrespect taken

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LMAO I think that is the first time I ever made a "good list". I try to be as helpful as possible, but my fuse is pretty short with know it all types and the first time posts that register just to flame the 6.7. The 6.7 forum is no different than the dozen or more other forums that I have frequented at one time or another. By nature a good ol boy network develops, but these guys are a pretty welcoming group. You get respect by earning it. If you give respect you will earn it quicker.

Now get out there and drain your darned water separators!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Phil-turbodiesel
Cross-Country
OK Gents, It may look like I'm beating a dead horse here...I'm not.

We clearly know what each other thinks about the monthly draining, not trying to change anybody's mind...just calling it what it is..."Just the facts Jack"

Originally Posted by 2piecespecial
The Diesel supp. guide DOES mention to drain monthly. Why would a person not take the time and do this. If for no other reason, It's a Preventative Measure. There have been certain instances where the WIF sensor has failed and caused a huge repair bill!!! The Fuel systems on these trucks are so sensitive it doesn't take much to screw them up. That's enough reason for me to crawl under my truck and drain on a regular basis. Just my .02 cents.
You gotta list ALL the facts man. Holding back information isn't being forthcoming You have to finish reading the sentence...starts with "OR" (see below picture). As far as Why wouldn't anybody take the time... Read the thread dude, that's what it's about.

Originally Posted by kper05
I have attached the document that mentions monthly.
This is along the lines of too many writers at Ford and some of the info not making it into all of the documentation.
Thanks for the document. My 2012 did not come with it.
However it gives the option of draining monthly OR when the "Water in Fuel Lamp" illuminates.

Monthly drainers are actually going by the book ...The guys that wait for the WIF light to come on before draining are also going by the book!

With that said, it's all up to the guy who owns the truck

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
breeno
Junior User
That is just terribly worded "monthly or when the light comes on" ... especially since the light seems to rarely come on, why even mention the monthly thing?

I have several friends with 6.7s who just stared at me with a blank expressions when I asked about their routine with draining their DFCM. I certainly would not have known about it from the dealer when I bought the thing -- I found out about from reading the diesel supplement before I bought the truck.

I think Ford could do a much better job with all this education wise. Especially with the heavy-handed "you're on your own, bad fuel!" warranty responses they've been known to have.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I made the list! Thank you!!!
Andre........How much did you pay to get on the list..??

Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
LMAO I think that is the first time I ever made a "good list". I try to be as helpful as possible, but my fuse is pretty short with know it all types and the first time posts that register just to flame the 6.7. The 6.7 forum is no different than the dozen or more other forums that I have frequented at one time or another. By nature a good ol boy network develops, but these guys are a pretty welcoming group. You get respect by earning it. If you give respect you will earn it quicker.

Now get out there and drain your darned water separators!
Aye Aye SIR !!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil-turbodiesel
Thanks for the document. My 2012 did not come with it.
However it gives the option of draining monthly OR when the "Water in Fuel Lamp" illuminates.
Originally Posted by breeno
That is just terribly worded "monthly or when the light comes on" ... especially since the light seems to rarely come on, why even mention the monthly thing?

I have several friends with 6.7s who just stared at me with a blank expressions when I asked about their routine with draining their DFCM. I certainly would not have known about it from the dealer when I bought the thing -- I found out about from reading the diesel supplement before I bought the truck.

I think Ford could do a much better job with all this education wise. Especially with the heavy-handed "you're on your own, bad fuel!" warranty responses they've been known to have.
The way I read that is Ford is suggesting to drain it monthly or if the WIF light comes on, drain it then (don't wait until one month).

The diesel manual does say (not specifically monthly):
The DFCM should be drained at regular intervals or when indicated by
the message center message and water in fuel indicator light. See Fuel
filter/water separator in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter.
The vehicle is equipped with a diesel fuel conditioning module (DFCM)
located on the frame-rail under the driver-side floorboard near the
transmission
Water should be drained from the
module assembly whenever the
warning light comes on and the
message center directs you to drain
the water separator. This will occur when approximately 0.32 pints (150
ml) of water accumulates in the module. If water level is allowed to
exceed this level, the water may be passed through to the engine and
may cause fuel injection equipment damage.
So I agree, Ford's documentation needs work.
This problem (too many hands in the pot) happens all the time though and manuals have different instructions based on sections or versions.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:32 AM
RxSd2013
Senior User
TBH I would have NEVER drained the dang thang until I came here. Ford does 100% of the maintenance on my 6.7 as its part of the package I got with the truck. I was 100% confident in them boys, till I came here LOL. Now I know they (service techs) are looking out for me, as long as it does NOT get in the way of Ford's profit margin. I don't even put DEF fluid in it yet. They do 100% of everything less the diesel LOL. That being said, I will still do the things to protect my truck as I am the one that is ultimately responsible for the well being of my truck, NOT ford or some document.

Yet again, I give thanks to FTE and the gang for helping me see something I may have missed.

Lets face it, shoes dont come with instructions to say "tie your laces or trip on them", but common sense kicks in to tell you to protect yourself right?

I dont care if Ford, a document, the dealer, a service tech or a great forum like FTE tells me what I NEED to know. Once I know, it is on the list and WILL get done. Thanks again to FTE and the gang as it was 1st in line to get me the info needed to push this 6.7 to 1 million miles!!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
At the rate we're going, there will be instructions with shoes. Just wait, LOL.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:44 PM
breeno
Junior User
Fair enough, I see that intent now ... Do it regularly when the truck doesn't complain and also ASAP whenever the truck complains

Rinse, repeat

A bit off topic (which is funny given the path this thread has taken) I think the drain is also damn handy for grabbing some campfire starter fluid whenever needed

Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good idea,never thought of the starter fluid for campfire thing

Quick Reply: DFCM draining...