Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lets talk auto transmission tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets talk auto transmission tuning

my 99.5 DRW truck is getting a chip soon. It currently has a Banks Big Hoss system on it. Exhaust Brake, exhaust, six gun tuner, Trans-Command, etc. Its also got the non-CA spec BD Power Thruster II. Basically a non-ballbearing 38R.

I will be eliminating the Trans-Command, and going with a PHP Hydra Chip with custom tunes. I have been talking with Tony at Total Diesel Peformance about what I want the transmission to do when towing.

I want to try out Tony's tunes since he gives free lifetime reburns when you purchase the Hydra through him. Over the summer I plan to upgrade to a stage 2 towing transmission and 160/100 injectors. So, not having to pay for all new tunes as I upgrade is a good selling point.

Some of the other things I want that Tony can do are:
1. OD off in all tow tunes under 45mph
2. Torque Converter lockup in all tow tunes below 40mph when manually shifting into 1st and 2nd gear.

One thing I would really like it to do when towing is to provide full torque converter lockup under decel for the Banks Exhaust brake. However, Tony told me he doesn't do that with his chips. IIRC, I think Jody at DP will do that. Its mainly to help control temps on decel in the tranny. I am curious about a dash switch that I could wire in for full lockup in those situations.

I routinely tow close to 26K combined over I-70 in the Rockies. So, full lockup on decel on the backside of Eisenhower tunnel is a much wanted option. Especially with the exhaust brake.

Any other transmission tunes you guys would recommend having written into the tunes?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If I were towing that kind of weight in the mountains I'd have a stick shift so the transmission did what I want when I want it to, but I realize I'm the oddball.

If I had an auto tranny, I think I would prefer a manual torque converter lockup switch instead of relying on some tuner to do the job for me.

There's also something to be said for free reburns. My wife got hers re-done recently because she wanted to change the order on the switch. Tony just laughed and told her to write it down this time.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F350-6
If I were towing that kind of weight in the mountains I'd have a stick shift so the transmission did what I want when I want it to, but I realize I'm the oddball.

If I had an auto tranny, I think I would prefer a manual torque converter lockup switch instead of relying on some tuner to do the job for me.

There's also something to be said for free reburns. My wife got hers re-done recently because she wanted to change the order on the switch. Tony just laughed and told her to write it down this time.
Believe me, I searched for a manual for a while. They were either all beat to hell work trucks, or excessively overpriced. I found one 2wd in Dallas that I flew in to buy, but it ended up having a cracked or leaking injector cup and was pumping diesel into the coolant. FWIW, I love DDing this truck I have now. And, I just pulled my 10K/lb 5th wheel to CA and back with it the week after I bought it. Its been flawless so far, but I haven't loaded my normal load on it yet and want to be ready when I do.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well it sounds like you're taking the right approach. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is an auxillary transmission cooler or maybe putting a shift kit or modified valve body in there.

I'm assuming you do have gauges to watch things.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Be careful with running an exhaust brake and a decel tune. Some tuners believe this may increase back pressure too much causing the exhaust valve to come unseated and potentially contact the piston. I don't have to tell you why that's bad.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F350-6
Well it sounds like you're taking the right approach. The only thing I didn't see mentioned is an auxillary transmission cooler or maybe putting a shift kit or modified valve body in there.

I'm assuming you do have gauges to watch things.
The new tranny will have a shift kit/valve body done. Billet torque converter, etc.

And, yes, I have gauges, and a 6.0L tranny cooler in the works.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeepincj7
2. Torque Converter lockup in all tow tunes below 40mph when manually shifting into 1st and 2nd gear.
#1 is easy to do.

#2 can't be done. The trans tuning can't differentiate TC lockup between auto and "manual" shifting in the PCM. The only thing that does happen is when you manually throw the shift in either 1st or 2nd is that it mechanically prevents freewheeling (and you can't duplicate it with the tuning, it's already been tried).

You'll have to rig a lockup switch and do it by hand.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
I will have to say the best trans shifting I've had is by DP Tuner. I had a Hydra for a bit (still own it, but I loaned it out) and while it had only the PHP tunes, which could have been massaged....the DP, which Jody worked on 2x, is much better.

So look for a tuner that has a good track record of trans tuning and work it out with them.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Pocket
#1 is easy to do.

#2 can't be done. The trans tuning can't differentiate TC lockup between auto and "manual" shifting in the PCM. The only thing that does happen is when you manually throw the shift in either 1st or 2nd is that it mechanically prevents freewheeling (and you can't duplicate it with the tuning, it's already been tried).

You'll have to rig a lockup switch and do it by hand.
Huh, that is interesting since my Excursion did just that. I talked with Jody about it when I ordered the chip. And, he said it was controllable. You would manually shift down into 2nd, start to go, left off the pedal for a couple seconds, it would lock in, and then you would go. You could literally feel this happen and see it with the tach. So, unless that is what you are describing it was doing, I am not sure. But, my tranny temps would never climb too high. I would use this a lot dragging my TT 4-5mi back into the mountains on the dirt roads.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2. Torque Converter lockup in all tow tunes below 40mph when manually shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. ...
If you use a chassis cab calibration then item #1 will be resolved by default.
Not sure about item #2....I think the PCM is able to lock the TC in those gears under heavy throttle conditions already so I am not sure what you are looking for here...

One thing I would really like it to do when towing is to provide full torque converter lockup under decel for the Banks Exhaust brake. ....
See here:
Banks Power | 99-03 Ford - 7.3L Power Stroke>>SmartLock® Trans Brake

This is what I use and it's completely automatic.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
If you use a chassis cab calibration then item #1 will be resolved by default.
Not sure about item #2....I think the PCM is able to lock the TC in those gears under heavy throttle conditions already so I am not sure what you are looking for here...

See here:
Banks Power | 99-03 Ford - 7.3L Power Stroke>>SmartLock® Trans Brake

This is what I use and it's completely automatic.
Mine has the SmartLock on it. The Banks system is really a hard thing to pin point though. Especially when piggy backing it with the Hydra chip.

Basically, I am not sure if I should disconnect the TransCommand and Safe lock systems or not. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on it. And I don't want one of the systems to screw something up.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
I just spent 30mins on the phone with Banks Tech dept. I can piggy back the Transcommand and SmartLock systems with the Hydra chip and it shouldn't effect anything.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Be careful with running an exhaust brake and a decel tune. Some tuners believe this may increase back pressure too much causing the exhaust valve to come unseated and potentially contact the piston. I don't have to tell you why that's bad.
EBPV is already disabled.

I am not looking for a Decel tune itself. Rather full lockup on the torque converter when decelerating down mountain passes. It appears that the Smartlock will still function properly and I don't have to remove it.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I just spent 30mins on the phone with Banks Tech dept. I can piggy back the Transcommand and SafeLock systems with the Hydra chip and it shouldn't effect anything.
Bummer. You just wasted 30 minutes of your time. They don't know what they are talking about and must have no clue what a chip does or how it works.

You MUST remove the TransCommand before using the Hydra Chip. Actually, you don't have to.....it's just highly recommended. The TransCommand will NOT work well with aftermarket switch on the fly calibrations. Do you happen to have the bypass plug by any chance?

The SafeLock module will work fine with whatever chip you wish to run. It is positioned between the PCM and transmission so it effectively has the last say in the TC lock up process.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Mine has the SmartLock on it. The Banks system is really a hard thing to pin point though. Especially when piggy backing it with the Hydra chip.

Basically, I am not sure if I should disconnect the TransCommand and Safe lock systems or not. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on it. And I don't want one of the systems to screw something up.
Correct, they don't make it easy. The installation instructions are on their website (if you don't have them already). Depending on which generation of the Banks products you have...the process could be more or less complicated. Personally, I would physically remove the TransCommand and the SmartLock by re-pinning the connectors back to stock configuration. Verify the transmission works correctly and then re-install the SmartLock. Otherwise it's too easy to get confused between which wire goes where...(been there myself so I know from experience. )

Quick Reply: Lets talk auto transmission tuning