1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Broken Seatbacks on 3rd and 4th row bench seats.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
katoranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Seatbacks on 3rd and 4th row bench seats.

I have search here and with google to see if anyone has repaired the seats that have the backs pushed down. Alot of the vans I looked at had the same problem. I would like seats from the newer models with the center shoulder belt.

My 4th row seat has part of the metal frame poking out of the fabric. The 3rd row is not as bad.

Since I don't need all the seats (This is our family farm truck) I am going to attempt to repair the worst one. Not really out anything if I don't succeed.

I think I can remove the fabric and foam and most likely weld the broken frame back together.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Removing and replacing the factory upholstery will be the challenge here---that stuff is just crazy to work with----taxes your patience like nothing else I've ever seen.

Not sure your model year but anything from '03 or newer probably has woefully thin metal tubing used for the seat frames. This makes welding any broken tube or joint extremely difficult for all but the most experienced of welders.

Give it a shot but proceed slowly otherwise you'll have many feet of tubing with welding blow out holes---its honestly that thin. Since you'll have extra seats though you'll be okay---one to experiment with, one to repair the right way.

Let us know how this goes----photos too if you have time.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM
katoranger
Senior User
I am not the best welder, but Grandpa is. Acetylene torch and a coat hanger. Today I am going attemp to get the fabric and foam off the back of the worst seat.

Pictures will be taken since I have not found anything to use as a guide. This info may be useful as a what not to do.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM
katoranger
Senior User
I fixed it. The only thing is getting the fabric back on. Slid right into place, but getting the snap thing on the bottom together is a pain. I just left it loose.

With the cover off.

Spot welded back together after I straightened out the sheet metal. I just turned the mig welder to the lowest setting.

Added a 3" piece of 1x4 square tubing. This should keep it from breaking again.

Cover back on.

Back in the van. Will do the other seat soon.

Getting the fabric and foam off was pretty simple.
Remove the armrest. Uses a large torx socket. I didn't look at the size.

Undo the two black plastic pins on the bottom corners.

The fabric is held in with this big zipper like plastic strip.

Once you undo the strip it is just a matter of pulling the fabric off the seat back and removing the foam.

I was not able to get the plastic strip back together after I put the fabric back on.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Nice looking metal repair----seems your seat frames are of an earlier year than my '03 that needed seat bottom frame repaired.

If those plastic strips you mention not fitting back together it definitely takes more than two hands. It took me several times stretching the fabric to get those strips aligned and snapped back into place. Like so many things they come apart easily but are a bear to re-assemble.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
katoranger
Senior User
The date on the bottom of the seats was 1996. I think with some extra help we can get the strips back together.

I am going to fix the other seat this coming weekend. It only took about an hour to repair.