1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4X4 manual locking hub help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 manual locking hub help

Ok, I did this long thread about the problem I am having with my hub locks only to have it disappear into cyber space so I'm going to repost a short version hoping to get this one actually posted.

I have a 1985 F250 4X4 with a 351W, NP435 4 speed and dana 44 19 spline axle, Independent front suspension. I don't have the numbers off the front end tag handy but I can get them if it will help. Short version of my problem is I replaced the OEM hub locks with a set of Warn "standard" hub locks. The outer hub lock splines that engage the rotor/hub bottomed out before the inner splines for the axle would allow me to install the axle snap ring. Instead of sending them back I made them work because I HAD to have the truck back on the road, I know I should have sent them back, this happened about 6 months ago. These finally quit working so I ordered a set of "premium" hub locks and when they came in today we measured them and they will present the same problem as the other set of Warns I ordered and made work. The instructions that came with the new set said the same thing as the other set I ordered and made work, "for independent front suspension the axle snap ring MUST be installed". We called Warn technical support and they said leave the snap ring off . So my question is will it hurt to leave the axle snap ring off? If I leave the snap ring off when I put a load on the front end, using the 4X4 will the axle slip/slide in and damage the ring gear, pinion, ect? Is there a brand of hub lock that will fit straight out of the box? I need to get this problem fixed but I am not sure which way to go here. I would greatly appreciate your input, help, advice, and thoughts. I do know the front axles are turning when I put it in 4X4 because i saw them turning the last time I had to winch out of a mud hole but the front end was not pulling. Thank you in advance for your help gentlemen.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Any help......anyone???

Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Pry the axle half in towards the differential with a large screwdriver or

Proper sized pry bar.

Then the snap ring will have clearance.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by khadma
Pry the axle half in towards the differential with a large screwdriver or

Proper sized pry bar.

Then the snap ring will have clearance.
I agree. Had the same problem and it had nothing to do w/the hubs. Here's the drawing from the factory parts catalog:

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thank you gentlemen I really appreciate your input. I understand prying the end of the axle outward to install the snap ring. When I installed the Warn hub locks that I have on my truck now I actually pryed so hard I bent the pry bar. I completely rebuilt the hub/rotor assembly on both sides and after the lock wouldn't fit on the first one I rebuilt I disassembled it 3 times trying to see if I put it back together wrong and all 3 times the lock wouldn't fit even after prying on it. I only need about .010 more and the snap ring would fit nicely. If I leave the snap ring off as Warn says can the axle go "inward" under a load and do damage to the ring gear, pinion, ect? Gary would you happen to have a picture of the factory parts catalog for the Dana 44 front end assembly/differential area? Again gentlemen I really thank you for your input and help with this matter.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
How about this:

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:24 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
INWARD TO CENTER OF TRUCK. PRY AXLE TOWARDS PUMPKIN. SHOULD NOT TAKE MUCH EFFORT. JUST HAVE TO FIND LEVERAGE POINT.

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Thank you Gary I really appreciate it. Thank you khadma I appreciate your input.....but I am a little confused....sorry. The snap ring goes on the very outer end of the axle so if I pry the axle in toward the pumpkin/center of the truck won't the end of the axle slide up into the hub lock? The splined outer end of the axle goes through the center of the hub lock and there is a snap ring groove cut around the end of the axle where the snap ring goes. This snap ring keeps the axle from going back into the pumpkin once everything is assembled and being used. If I pry the axle toward the pumpkin won't that cause the axle to go back up in the hub lock and completely hid the snap ring groove all together? I don't mean to be dense gentlemen I'm just a little confused and I really appreciate your input and your help, thank you.

Last edited by Hogtrapper; 02-15-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Here is a link to the Warn hub lock installation instructions.
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...c0-pn20990.pdf

I don't know it I can do it or not but I am going to try to copy the instructions and paste them here so you won't have to use the link.

WARN STANDARD AND PREMIUM
INTERNAL MOUNT HUBLOCK
INSTRUCTIONS
P/N 20990 P/N 9790
REMOVAL OF EXISTING HUBLOCKS
1. Remove existing hublocks.
WARNING! If removing an automatic hublock that uses 3 bolts to retain the
chrome cover, a conversion kit will be needed. (Use Warn P/N 32720)
2. Use the illustrations below to help with the removal of the old hublocks. When removing the lock ring, use
MILD FORCE with a thin screwdriver or pick/hook.
3. Remove
ALL retaining rings on the splined axle shaft.

DRIVE FLANGE MANUAL HUBLOCK WARN AUTOMATIC OTHER AUTOMATIC
4. Verify that the spindle nuts are installed and torqued to manufacture’s specifications. Hublock damage will
occur if the spindle nuts or wheel bearings are loose! Damage to hublocks due to loose spindle nuts or wheel
bearings will void warranty!
INSTALLATION OF NEW HUBLOCKS
NOTE: WHEN REMOVING ANY 3 HOLE CHROME CAP AUTOMATIC HUB, PURCHASE AND INSTALL
CONVERSION KIT P/N 32720
5. Separate body assembly from cap assembly (see hublock picture below)
6. Install body assembly and large lock ring into wheel hub housing. (Remove any retaining rings on the splined
axle shaft if present)
7. Check the clearance between the hublock body and the spindle nuts. The clearance may be checked by the
following method. Remove 2 of the socket head screws from the box and insert them 180 degrees apart into
the body of the hublock. Hold onto the screws and attempt to move the body assembly in and out of the
wheel hub. If some float is evident, the installation is correct. Remove the 2 socket head screws. IF THERE
IS NO FLOAT EVIDENT, DO NOT PROCEED WITH THE INSTALLATION UNTIL THE CONDITION IS
CORRECTED. To correct this condition, perform the following steps.
A. Remove the lockring, body assembly, and wheel bearing lock nut
B. Install the washer so that it is seated against the bearing adjustment nut, and tighten the
wheel bearing lock nut to the manufacture’s recommended torque. The pin in the bearing
adjustment nut MUST be seated into a hole in the washer when installed. If the
washer is not aligned correctly the wheel bearing lock nut will be approximately 1/8 inch too
far outboard and will interfere with the hublock.
C. Reinstall the hublock body assembly and check for clearance. If correct, proceed with the
installation. If not, repeat step B.
8. Install the Axle retaining ring. If necessary, a pry bar can be inserted into the knuckle (universal joint) to hold
the axle shaft outboard while installing the axle retaining ring.
NOTE: Some early model solid front axle may not accept axle retaining rings (77 ½-79 Ford’s, 81-84
and some 85 Chevy/GMC’s). Use them if they can be installed correctly (outboard of the hub body)
but their use is not mandatory and no durability loss will be suffered.
ALL FORDS WITH TWIN
TRACTION BEAM FRONT AXLES (INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSIONS) MUST HAVE AN AXLE
RETAINING RING INSTALLED.

9. Dial the cap into the free position. Place cap assembly on body using
the socket head screws to align the cap to the body. (The standard
hublock will also have to align the 3 tabs on the cap assembly) Insert
the six socket head cap screws and torque to the following values.
Standard Hublock P/N 9790, 45-55 in-lbs (
NOT Ft-Lbs). Premium
Hublock P/N 20990, 25-30 in-lbs (
NOT Ft-Lbs)
10. To CHECK FOR PROPER ENGAGEMENT dial both hublocks to LOCK,
raise the front left corner of the vehicle off the ground. Spin the lifted
tire. The driveline will turn if the hublocks are engaged properly
11. To CHECK FOR PROPER DISENGAGEMENT dial the lifted wheel
hublock into FREE and spin the lifted tire. If the driveline does not turn
AND there are not any ratcheting sounds, the hublock is disengaging
properly. Repeat the process for the right side

SERVICING INSTRUCTIONS:
Service at the same interval as wheel bearings. Clean and lightly grease
internal working surfaces.

P/N 61420C0
WARN
4WD HUBS
Installation Instructions for Standard and Premium Internal Mount Hublocks
Premium Hublock P/N 20990 Standard Hublock P/N 9790
WARN PRODUCTS
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY STATEMENT
Warn Industries, Inc. (Warn) warrants Parts and labor, excepting electrical components, directly to the first purchaser of each Warn products
against factory defects in material and workmanship for as long as said purchaser owns the vehicle that the products was originally installed on.
Warn warrants electrical components of the products, where present, to the first purchaser against defects in material and workmanship appearing
under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. To obtain any warranty coverage, it is absolutely necessary
that you present proof of purchase and warranty period verification acceptable to Warn, such as a copy of the purchase receipt. Returning a fully
completed registration card to Warn within ninety (90) days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to warranty coverage. If you discover a
covered defect, Warn will, at its option, repair, replace or refund the purchase price of this products or products parts at no charge to you, provided
you return it during the applicable warranty period, transportation charges prepaid, to Warn Industries’ Service Department or Factory Authorizes
Servicing Distributor. (You can obtain additional information from Warn directly at the address printed below.) Please attach your name, address,
telephone number, a description of the problem and a copy of the bill of sale bearing the appropriate Warn serial numbers as proof of original retail
purchase, to each product returned for warranty service. Exclusions from this warranty are those listed below as well as any conditions determined
by Warn Industries to have been caused by abnormal use or service.
This warranty applies only to products manufactured by Warn, which can be identified by the “Warn” trademark, tradename, or logo affixed to them.
This warranty applies only to products purchased after November 1,1987. Warn does not warrant any products that are not Warn products. This
warranty does not apply if accident, abuse, misuse, collision, overloading, exhaust, misapplication, improper installation, improper use, improper service
or modification has damaged the product without written permission from Warn. This warranty does not apply if any Warn serial number has been
removed or defaced. In addition, commercial, or industrial use or application, or any hoisting application of the product without prior written approval
of Warn voids the entire warranty.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED HEREIN, THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WHICH BY LAW MAY NOT BE EXCLUDED, IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO ONE (1) YEAR FROM
THE DATE OF ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASE OF THIS PRODUCT.
THE WARRANTY AND THE REMEDIES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHERS, ORAL OR WRITTEN,
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.
No Warn dealer, agent or employee is authorized to make any modification, extension or addition to this warranty.
IN NO EVENT IS WARN RESPONSIBLE FOR SPECIAL INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY BREACH OF
WARRANTY, OR UNDER ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOST PROFITS, DOWN TIME, GOODWILL,
DAMAGE TO OR REPLACEMENT OF EQUIPMENT AND PROPERTY, LOSS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT OR OF ANY ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT,
OR COST OF SUBSTITUTED PRODUCTS.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above
limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty give you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Warn
reserves the right to change product design without notice or obligation to modify previously manufactured products.
Warranty inquires and products specified above returned for warranty service should be sent to:
WARN INDUSTRIES
Customer Service Department
12900 SE Capps Road
Clackamas, OR 97015
1-800-543-WARN
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
*ONLY use fingers to turn dials.
DO NOT USE PLIERS.

*Set the hublock dials to “FREE” and transfer case to 2-high for all driving that does not require four
wheel drive.
*To engage four wheel drive set the hublock dials to “LOCK” and set the transfer case to 4-high or
4-low.
*Return the transfer case to 2-high before disengaging hublocks.
*Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4-wheel drive because it can cause drive train damage.
*Do not move the vehicle if the hubs are anywhere between “FREE” and “LOCK” or it will damage
the hublocks.
*Driving with only one hublock engaged can cause drive train damage.
*Driving with the hublocks in ”FREE’’ and transfer case in 4-low can cause drive train damage.
*To ensure lubrication of the front axle, engage hublocks for a minimum of one mile monthly.
Products covered by this Warranty Exclusions to this Warranty
Recreational winches (all except commercial products) Finish and wire rope
Locking Hubs Finish