1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure about you guys but I'm ready for summer!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Auminer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was -10*F when I left for work this morning. I'm sick of this crap.
Wow that's getting down there, glad I'm here in the banana belt, forecast to rain again the end of the week.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damnit! Send that snow my way, I sure do miss it

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
50 degrees would be like sweet heaven right now lol. Our summers have been hotter that what it used to be years ago. Onces the middle to end of June its usually in the mid 80's all the time which I love usually in July it will hit towards the 90's sometimes around 100.

bbaccama88 easiest way is to create a photobucket account, you can upload them there and all you have to do is clicked the IMG code and paste it into a new post.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Apparently it hit 90 somewhere here in Phoenix today. It's going to cool down though thankfully for a little bit within the next week!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
We just had 8 inches of snow yesterday, another about 3 inches of heavy wet crap followed by freezing rain today. The state is way the hell over there snow removal budget and has not been out to plow at all. Just do sand. Roads are still a mess, I think they are leaving mother nature to clean them up.

On to the Bronco, some serious work is being done...
I wanted to do radiator, water pump, thermastat and idler puller. I send it to my mechanic who has work on the family vehicles for probably 20 years. The New England weather took a toll on the water pump bolts. He ended up snapping one and a few a rusted in. He says he will need to heat the area up around the manifolds. So this means he will also have to remove the timing chain cover. Would could mean a new timing chain if it's loose. Which...Can also mean a new oil pan since the timing cover meets the pan. If some have remember my posts the oil pan as a crack in the bottom near the drain hole. I never had the chance to remove it, I managed to put a good patch on it that stopped the leaking. So there's a chance this might be getting changed...I'm looking at a hefty bill.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It aint nuthin but money Ryan. Cheaper than a new truck.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
That the way I look at it! Cheaper than have it rebuilt, and when I say rebuilt I mean stroking it oh well, the engine still runs good, if the oil pan needs to be replaced any sludge at the bottom of the engine will be removed. I've thought about a second vehicle before I did this but just thinking about all the costs it's not worth it, way to much money.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah replacing the pan would be a good thing if you're that far in already.

When I did my cylinder heads, I was planning on just doing the heads, and the painting some stuff to clean it up. Well, I cleaned up all the pieces I took off, then when I had the heads off, I figured I'd fix my timing cover leak. So I took that off (and painted it). So I had to redo the water pump gaskets too. Then when I had the timing cover off, I saw my oilpan gasket was ripped, so I took of my oil pan and did a new oil pump and pickup tube. I also cleaned the pan and painted that too!

I had already replaced the timing chain about two years ago so I didn't replace that too, but I did a bunch of work.

You'll be glad once the stuff is all done! You won't have to worry about it again!

I'm glad I could do all that work myself though. That saves some money!

Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't do it myself. I opted to send it to him since I would only be able to do it on the weekends. He called me today and I went down to drop the new oil pan and gasket I had, it looks like it's going to be changed, including the chain. So, I'm glad that will finally be changed and he said after we do all this the engine should run solid. No more sludge in it.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
I sold a 2006 f-150 when I bought my Bronco. I have put enough money into her to make a GOOD down payment on a brand new truck. But I love the ol Gal and I dont mind workin on her replacing what needs to be fixed. I used to love doing this but I am considerably older now than when I used to do this regularly. I figure I will drive her til the wheels fall off then replace them.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
So I don't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd add some more to this.

First of all. Another snow storm Monday and will be in the 20's all week....

Second of all, I got my truck back. Had oil pan, radiator, water pump, timing chain done and I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the driveway this morning. I took a look underneath and I can't tell where it's coming from. It definitely is coming from the water pump area. It doesn't look like the hoses were changed, I'm guessing they were ok. Just dirty no dry rot. Looks like some of the clamps were reused so I'm wondering if they are holding as well anymore after being removed.

What do you guys think? Where should I start to look? Should I take it back to my mechanic?

Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Definitely take it back man. You already paid good $$$ for someone to fix it. He ought to damn sure fix it.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I would take it back just to be sure since you paid all that money.

I've definitely had the hose clamps not work as well after reusing them on more than one occasion so it could be as simple as that. However, if a gasket wasn't put on correctly or something, that's a bit of work to try and do yourself, especially if you paid someone else to do it.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Yeah I am going to take it back, I still need to grab my bill. It's weird I don't have any more coolant puddles, but I am getting drops of oil. Now it looks like some oil is leaking out of the bolts near the transmission. I got a feeling they might have came loose or could used a rubber washer. Otherwise the truck has been running real cool.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
It looks like it's just a failing clamp on one of the hoses, so I am going to put a new one on it. As for the oil he said the PCV valve may need to be changed, or the rear main seal could be leaking a little bit.

Quick Reply: Not sure about you guys but I'm ready for summer!!