Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 2014+ Transit
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Posting Guru

archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Failure at the auto show!

OK, we had a little Transit Connect and lost it in an accident.

It was ok but with a bulkhead installed the seating was not comfy for long legs or long trips.

So, for a long time we have been waiting for the new "transit" (much larger than and not the same as the "transit connect") to come out.

First they told us it will be out in early 2013, then fall of 3013, then spring of 2014, now the excuse is it will be out in the summer of 2014.

I fully expect this summer to be told "fall 2014" then this fall to be told "Spring 2015".

We went to the auto show and have tried out sitting in the Nissan NV, and the Dodge Promaster and neither had the roominess of the GM cargo van (GM with the bulkhead installed even).

We seriously wanted to give the Ford Transit a chance in the running.

We are not going to buy several different makes of delivery van, so the brand we choose is going to be it for all future purchases.

Not only did they only have one there, but they had yet another lame excuse about how it was only “a prototype” and “no, sorry, we can't let you sit in it, or even pop the hood for a look-see”.

Is anyone else getting sick and tired of the excuses, delays, and general BS Ford is shoveling over the Transit?
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:36 PM
New User

plumbstar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Been inside of Ford 2014 Transit

Went in a new Transit passenger van at LA Auto Show. Not bad but dash takes some getting used to.

Was in a Transit cargo van at the Kitchen & Bath Show in Vegas - February.

I really, really like the Nissan NV vans, but not big enough. I have a 2001 E350 extended van. Although they are the same length, the Nissan's cargo area is 20" shorter.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Posting Guru

Yeah, same with the Dodge Promaster being a short noseed van, the back cargo area is much longer than the Nissan NV.
Also, the NV has a HUGE turning radius.

How did you get into a "Transit" (not the smaller "Transit Connect") as they only have a prototype and refused to open it up?
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not certain, but they typically bring one the the NTEA (National Truck Equipment Assoc.) show here in Indianapolis. Trade show is Wed-Fri downtown Indy Convention Center.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
First they told us it will be out in early 2013, then fall of 3013, then spring of 2014, now the excuse is it will be out in the summer of 2014.

I fully expect this summer to be told "fall 2014" then this fall to be told "Spring 2015".
Kansas City Assembly will start ramping up production of the Transit in a couple months. Releases for production parts are starting to show up at suppliers, which pretty much locks in the timeline.

I am sure you have heard a bunch of excuses from Ford, but what I know is;

1) The assembly plant was gutted and almost completely rebuilt for V363 finish assembly. No small undertaking.

2) Ford Europe is the lead on the Transit, since they already build it over there. BUT, the US versions will have very little in common with the European vans. This has caused massive delays in getting issues resolved.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Posting Guru

Ah well.
We can't wait a couple months as the rental fees are killing us.
We are probably going to end up getting a Promaster by the end of the week.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Elder User

pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pbeering is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are a number of configurations of the new Transits here in Indianapolis at NTEA. I sat in a big one fitted with a bulkhead and found it very roomy and not confining. I am 6'1". Sorry, no photos, but all in all, pretty impressive.
'12 Transit Connect Java Van
I don't get muddy, don't get dusty, don't pull trailers, but do play in the snow and ice.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Elder User

nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.
I still don't get why the econoline is going away.

2008 reg cab F350-----sold

US Navy Seabee 07-13. BU2. NMCB 27/22
OEF 09-10 Afghanistan.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojoke327 View Post
I still don't get why the econoline is going away.
Because it is being replaced by the transit as the stand alone van.

It is still there as a cab/chassis for use as a heavy duty box truck.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Elder User

nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.nojoke327 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Because it is being replaced by the transit as the stand alone van.

It is still there as a cab/chassis for use as a heavy duty box truck.
Ya. I understand why, I just don't understand why, if that makes any sense

OEF 09-10 Afghanistan.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Someone high up in the Ford food chain is pushing for global platform vehicles. The theory is cost control.

That still doesn't answer your 'why', does it?

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
New User

plumbstar is starting off with a positive reputation.
There was a Transit passenger van at the L.A. Auto show. A cargo version at the Builders / kitchen & bath show at Vegas last Feb 2014
Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
Someone high up in the Ford food chain is pushing for global platform vehicles. The theory is cost control.

That still doesn't answer your 'why', does it?
Nope

OEF 09-10 Afghanistan.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Postmaster

Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
MY prediction is the butt-ugly stupid Transit will fail.
It looks like a wanna-be flimsy Sprinter which is a tin can.
IF I were looking for a full size cargo van right now I'd search online for a BRAND NEW Econoline sitting somewhere.....there have GOT to still be some brand new ones out there!!
My employer just bought a NICE, NICE '13 E250 with just 1700 miles on it here locally.
The Econoline was a tried and true multi-purpose van, why Ford stopped producing it is beyond me!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Senior User

finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Because the Econoline is old, inefficient to operate and produce technology. Face it, the Econoline has been in production essentially unchanged for 40 years. Not many products that old around, are there.

It is a gas hog and has poor space utilization compared to the more modern Ram and Sprinter platforms.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM