2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Ford Failure at the auto show!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finn
Because the Econoline is old, inefficient to operate and produce technology. Face it, the Econoline has been in production essentially unchanged for 40 years. Not many products that old around, are there.

It is a gas hog and has poor space utilization compared to the more modern Ram and Sprinter platforms.
What he said.
We have a 2014 Promaster and it hauls *** empty, I can stand in it to unload, they offer the drivers side sliding door (we could not wait the 8 weeks it took to order that one) and it gets 18 to 20 mpg on the freeway.

Our E350 gets 10 on a good day!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
E Series is a great workhorse, but it is fairly one size fits all. The shear number of pre-upfitter configurations offered by Ford on the Transit is pretty impressive. At this point it is mostly the mid height ones being pumped out but short and jumbo will be out in numbers soon enough. There are still some E-series out there for someone who wants the old style, but I can't think of a good reason to desire the old if you are planning on using it to make money. The dash is designed to work, but it is much more car like in look, like an escape or focus on some big muscle juice.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
I finally saw one at my.local dealership and I must say it is ugly. Not nearly as bad as the dodge but way worse looking then the e series. I know nothing of its capabilities but based in first impressions, I would almost rather drive a prius to work.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nojoke327
I finally saw one at my.local dealership and I must say it is ugly. Not nearly as bad as the dodge but way worse looking then the e series. I know nothing of its capabilities but based in first impressions, I would almost rather drive a prius to work.
If you drive one back to back with an E-series you will understand.

Apart from some sheetmetal and powertrain updates, the E-series is basically a 30yr old vehicle. The Transit has been continuously updated over its 50+year life, and feels like a new vehicle.

Has much more interior space, and payload than the equivalent E-Series, much better fuel economy, much more comfortable to drive (they seriously drive like a car). In fact every thing you want out of a van, they do better.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They may lack a little in beauty, but form does follow function and they can handle the dirty work as well.

Don't let your vanity choose your vehicle for you.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Some people don't deal well with change.

Without it we would still be walking.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 PM
vandemonium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look like a big, square car. Tiny wheels/tires. Sprinter wannabe.

Ford HAD to make a ton of money on the E-series. They couldn't be bothered to invest in the product line to update and modernize it? Swell.

I want to see how well they hold up. As a family grocery-getter, they may be ok for a long time, but as a work truck, that car-like handling is a result of car-like parts...which will have the plumbers, electricians, and jobbers who actually haul some mass every day in the shop more than they were in an E-series.

Now, what kind of "Global Platform" are they talking about when the US version is nothing like the Euro version? I'm getting a bs alert when I lay those two statements side by side.

I made the switch to Ford about 25 years ago. They have tossed every vehicle, every platform I found useful on the scrap heap.

Let's watch this unfold...

Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Saw one on my local dealer's lot. I am going to look at it tomorrow.
BTW, it looks very different but I think I could get used to it, no problem.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford is making a ton of money on the Transit too. It's already the best selling van by a huge margin. As the Transit pre-dates the sprinter by 30 years, perhaps you have the wannaness backwards. It has been built to commercial truck standards. The Transit in Europe is different how? Frankly it seems there is alot of uneducated hating. I think the plumbers and electricians are loving being able to walk around their vans without hunching over. Folks on a cheap budget can still get the low roof for the same price as Econoline basically.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Econoline is 35+year old technology. While it is a solid vehicle and has a great track record it is time for it to be retired. I was not very accepting of the Transit at first until they began showing up at our dealership and I got to put one in the air and inspect it and then drive it. I don't care for the looks of the stripped down trim level but aside from that...

I suggest that you not be so fast to put it down. The Transit's global platform is also well proven and while there are differences in the North American product they are not too significant. It's a sold vehicle that offers wayyyyyyy more flexibility in the available lengths and roof options as well as many other design features that the Econoline never could offer making it even more attractive for vocational purposes. DRIVE ONE. It handles and feels very solid and confident. The engine offerings seem capable and the new (to us in North America) diesel is a well proven engine that is powerful and efficient. While it is not a 6.0L, that alone is one of it's strong points. Take that however you want.

Give it a chance.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
The 3.2 5cyl has been here (Australia) in Rangers for some time and has performed well. Gets very good fuel economy in the Ranger at least.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Well, I still want to at least look into one.
Our interest rate through ford was sooooooo much better than Chrysler gave us and the monthly payment savings on a trade in just might push us back into a Ford van.

I need to verify it is no shorter in length and height as when we carry 2 standard height pallets from our primary client, they just fit under the latches.
The taller pallets still have to have a row taken off the top to fit.

Also, has anyone seen those Mercedes after a few years?
Looks like a rust firing machine gun hit them from all angles!

So much for Mercedes quality!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:35 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
The tall roof extended length model is enormous. I wouldn't be surprised if you can fit 3 pallets.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:02 PM
fenriswolf039
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The full size Transit will take 3 full size pallets at 72 inches tall, 4000 pounds without breaking a sweat.

And... and... AND you can walk all the way around the pallets inside the van.

I know this because I've got a big Sprinter at work and I can do what I just described, and the Transit is bigger by a couple of inches in every direction.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fenriswolf039
The full size Transit will take 3 full size pallets at 72 inches tall, 4000 pounds without breaking a sweat.

And... and... AND you can walk all the way around the pallets inside the van.

I know this because I've got a big Sprinter at work and I can do what I just described, and the Transit is bigger by a couple of inches in every direction.
I did sit in a full sized Transit the other day (not a high top) at Penske and the front drivers area/interior was not nearly as big as my Promaster.
Funny but, the one thing I don't like about the Promaster is having the parking brake on the left side of the drivers seat as if it applied you get stabbed in the *** when you exit the vehicle.

The Ford had it (correct for proper use) on the right side of the seat but would solidly interfere with going between the seats to enter the back through the bulkhead door.

I still want to see and drive a big one to see for myself.

Quick Reply: Ford Failure at the auto show!