1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

300 big six in a 1953 f250

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, got some more progress to report.
1. Fitted up a wiper motor I had to the truck's original linkage

2. Painted both front inner fenders with undercoating and covered it with gloss black

3. Finished making all my brake lines.

4. Won a free Cb and firestik antenna setup!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice build! I've always been a fan of the 300, I noticed the lower center of the valve cover in your pics, was that a factory cutout of was it modded? I don't think I've seen one like that, but I've probably only seen 6 or 8 300s in my life.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder2004
Nice build! I've always been a fan of the 300, I noticed the lower center of the valve cover in your pics, was that a factory cutout of was it modded? I don't think I've seen one like that, but I've probably only seen 6 or 8 300s in my life.
Thanks for your compliment, and that yes that is a factory cutout in the valve cover. I believe only efi motors were fitted with that type of cover.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I think the lowered area in the valve cover was used on the EFI motors to give clearance for the big intake plenum that ran over the top of the engine.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I think the lowered area in the valve cover was used on the EFI motors to give clearance for the big intake plenum that ran over the top of the engine.
Yes it was.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Well, after much research I decided that a late model clutch pedal setup was not what I wanted for this truck, so I just made one. I had previously bought the firewall mounting brake master cylinder setup from mid fifty so I just made a longer bolt and added some bracing for the clutch master cylinder.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
UPDATE:
First of all, i do not have the budget to get my truck professionally painted, let alone for the material itself. Therefore, I just spent $200 on rattle cans and got after it. I figure that this will at least keep it from rusting long enough that I can save up for a professional paint and body job.

Unfortunately, while I was moving the truck around, the steering gear finally gave way. I am now in the process of deciding what steering kit to buy to replace it. This truck is going to we a work truck so I think I might go with midfifty's new power steering kit. I just would like to keep my original steering column which I'm not sure is possible with the above mentioned kit. As always, any input is welcomed.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:15 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
UPDATE:
First of all, i do not have the budget to get my truck professionally painted, let alone for the material itself. Therefore, I just spent $200 on rattle cans and got after it. I figure that this will at least keep it from rusting long enough that I can save up for a professional paint and body job.

Unfortunately, while I was moving the truck around, the steering gear finally gave way. I am now in the process of deciding what steering kit to buy to replace it. This truck is going to we a work truck so I think I might go with midfifty's new power steering kit. I just would like to keep my original steering column which I'm not sure is possible with the above mentioned kit. As always, any input is welcomed.
The truck is looking good! Keep up the good work.

I've seen some nice rattle can paint jobs. As long as you did a good prep job it should be fine. I think the biggest issue most people have with rattle can jobs is they just don't apply enough coats. I've done a few in my past. Including one that I also rattle canned clear coat on and wet sanded and polished it. It shined so much you had to wear shades to look at it!

Are you talking about the their toyota power steering set up? If you are you can use your stock column. But it requires some modifications to the end of the column. I believe you have to cut the column and center shaft off your stock set up. Then trim the outer tube back some and install a bushing or bearing. Midfifty's has all the parts and instructions to do it.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Nice paint job! Congrats!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Nice job! !

Old 03-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
The truck is looking good! Keep up the good work. I've seen some nice rattle can paint jobs. As long as you did a good prep job it should be fine. I think the biggest issue most people have with rattle can jobs is they just don't apply enough coats. I've done a few in my past. Including one that I also rattle canned clear coat on and wet sanded and polished it. It shined so much you had to wear shades to look at it! Are you talking about the their toyota power steering set up? If you are you can use your stock column. But it requires some modifications to the end of the column. I believe you have to cut the column and center shaft off your stock set up. Then trim the outer tube back some and install a bushing or bearing. Midfifty's has all the parts and instructions to do it.
Originally Posted by abe
Nice paint job! Congrats!
Originally Posted by rbtom
Nice job! !
Thanks fellas for all the compliments. Fordman75: I considered midfifty's Toyota steering conversion, but I was actually asking about their new kit that they have developed. I believe it's called the 400 series.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks fellas for all the compliments. Fordman75: I considered midfifty's Toyota steering conversion, but I was actually asking about their new kit that they have developed. I believe it's called the 400 series.
I didn't even know they had that system. But yes you can use the stock column. It's the same deal I mentioned above about the toyota system. They sell a rag joint for the 400 series swap to use the stock column.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman75
I didn't even know they had that system. But yes you can use the stock column. It's the same deal I mentioned above about the toyota system. They sell a rag joint for the 400 series swap to use the stock column.
Thank you. Now I'll be able say that I've got all ford and aftermarket parts. Haha no manufacture mixing for me

Old 03-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
UPDATE:
You're my hero! I'm so tempted to do a rattle can....well shoot...I want an original color though....Oh well, I have to save up for body work anyway.

That rattle can job looks fantastic.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
You're my hero! I'm so tempted to do a rattle can....well shoot...I want an original color though....Oh well, I have to save up for body work anyway. That rattle can job looks fantastic.
Glad I could help! And I was surprised on how well it came out.

Quick Reply: 300 big six in a 1953 f250