Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 PM
New User

AirMakesMeCrazy is starting off with a positive reputation.
89 F350 unknown wires

Just picked up a '89 F350 Custom with the 7.3l IDI… This is my first diesel truck. This truck had been sitting for a while and pretty much started right up to drive it on to the trailer. We changed the fuel, oil and air filters so far.

I really like this site and find it very interesting.

As I explore the truck and get it road worthy, I came across some connectors without a home. Hoping someone here can identify the connectors and steer me in the right direction.

The first is a blue wire that is near the fuel filter…
Click the image to open in full size.

This wire/connector is near center of the engine block, behind the oil fill…
Click the image to open in full size.

Any help is appreciated
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Post Fiend

Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Sycostang67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
That first wire most likely goes to the water sensor that should be on the bottom of your fuel filter/water separator. Some one may have changed the filter to a style that doesn't use the sensor. The correct one will have a large cap that screws onto the bottom of the filter with the sensor and a drain ****. Nothing wrong with the other way, just eliminates the possibility of a leak from that cap.

I think the second plug goes to an A/C compressor...but not 100% sure.
1993 F-250 HD XLT Lariat SC 4X4 7.3/5spd ATS WG turbo @ 12psi, 3" DP 4" straight exhaust, 5" stacks, Hypermax cowl induction with inline filter, IP up 3 flats, DPS stage 1 injectors, GPR LED mod, SMF conversion, coolant filter, catch can, Pyro/Boost gauges.
1986 F-250HD XLT Lariat 4X4 6.9/T19, soup bowl mod, straight pipe.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Senior User

finitetime is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycostang67 View Post
That first wire most likely goes to the water sensor that should be on the bottom of your fuel filter/water separator. Some one may have changed the filter to a style that doesn't use the sensor. The correct one will have a large cap that screws onto the bottom of the filter with the sensor and a drain ****. Nothing wrong with the other way, just eliminates the possibility of a leak from that cap.
I agree. That was my first thought.

[/quote]I think the second plug goes to an A/C compressor...but not 100% sure.[/quote]

Not real sure mines a 93 and the connector looks a little different but I think you go this one right too.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM
New User

In the same wire loom as the blue wire I'm trying to Identify, is the wire that goes to the bottom of the fuel filter… I think that one connects to the "water in fuel" sensor. That sensor seems to work because it was lit, and after we changed the filter it went out. And I don't have A/C
Old 02-15-2014, 07:52 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
does your cold high idle work?
the temp sensor for the high idle timing advance in under the alternator.
i don't remember if it is a one wire or 2 wire connector though.
it may also be a glow plug connector for the passenger front cylinder.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
does your cold high idle work?
the temp sensor for the high idle timing advance in under the alternator.
i don't remember if it is a one wire or 2 wire connector though.
it may also be a glow plug connector for the passenger front cylinder.

The cold idle seems fine... Fires up, and then kicks down after a bit, so that seems right to me.

I will look around the alternator and the glow plugs a little more later today. Work, before play... Sucks.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
if the cold high idle works, than it is not the temp sensor wire.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM
New User

Okay… This is what I've got. My mystery connector is on a blue wire that is in the same wire loom as the black wire going to the top of the fuel filter housing. The glow plug located under the fuel filter has a connector going to it.

It's a mystery, that's for sure
Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM