You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
I made a little progress night. I got the rear end unbolted from the springs but Im going to have to torch the bolts to get the old spring off. I sandblasted the skyjacker lift blocks, the factory wedge and the U bolt plates today at work.
My dad and I were talking about doing the shackle flip and we think I could buy the front spring hangers for the rear spring on a '73-79 4x2 that has a 2.5" width spring and use it as the back hanger on my bronco. Then use the new shackles that came with the springs to make a homemade shackle flip. Has anyone done it this way? Seems like the cheapest way to do it with the other new parts I already have.
Looking good. I'm curious about the shackle flip myself. When you put the blocks back in, I'm pretty sure the factory block is supposed to be on the bottom. Unless Skyjacker designed theirs that way. Otherwise it moves the axle forward. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Doesn't look like you have any welding to do for the body mounts on the frame, lucky bugger! Mine were getting fairly big, had to weld new plate in and drill new holes.
'85 F150 XL Flareside w/ 408 Windsor, TKO 500 trans, 4.10 gears. Half ton 'o fun
'85 Bronco XLT w/ 306 HO, T18/NP208F, 6 inch RC suspension lift - "Little Jimmy Jackson"
'86 F150 XL Flareside w/ 5-oh EFI and AOD
Dad's '02 F150 XL RCLB 4.2L a/t 4x4 - Kick it in the Six
I am going to try to use the least amount of lift block I can to get the same ride height it had. Between the shackle flip and new springs Im hoping it wont need too much block. Im not going to put the skyjacker blocks back on.
A couple of the body mounts need fixed on the top, but a couple good sized washers welded in there should take care of it.
Did a little more work on the Bronco yesterday. I removed the wiring for the back half of the frame, took the giant bumper off that is two pieces of C channel welded together, removed the fuel lines, got the rear axle out, removed the rear springs and removed the trans/t-case.
Since its this far down Im going to remove the front axle and steering box and clean it up nice. It will make regearing the axles easier too.
I used a couple ratchet straps to make a sling and used a cherry picker to remove it. There was only one bolt holding it to the cross member too. When this motor/trans combo was swapped in its like they bolted everything in for a mock up and never went back to tighten everything up.
We are also making some progress on my brothers mud truck he bought over the winter. It now has 6" lift springs on the front from Bronco graveyard. Total 9" lift. Been piecing it together. Just about every body panel on it is from a different truck. Getting ready to install a 302/c6 for now but hes gonna build a mild 460 for it later down the road. Mirrors have since been swapped out to chrome faced ones. It has the 39" mickeys on it that came on the bronco when I bought it.
Thanks. Those wheels aren't going back on the bronco. Too afraid to crunch the new quarters. Hoping to get the truck to the sand dunes this summer too. Should perform pretty good in the sand with those tires.
Nothing really. Frame is stripped waiting to be blasted and I got new spring hangers to do a rear shackle flip. Also bought a sand blaster.
Been thrashing on my brothers mud truck. Got 15 days to have it done for the Michigan mud jam. Just got the 302 to crank over yesterday after the dash/engine and wiring harness swap from my parts '86. Now has a AOD. It has a limited slip rear 4.10 and open 4.09 in front. Got the front gears installed from a F250 junkyard axle this past Saturday. Going to install the high pressure fuel lines tomorrow and see if it starts. Also picked up a set of 36.5 Grand Prix mud tires on loan from a buddy that will be going on tomorrow. Cant wait to get this truck going.
After the mud jam we have to get our new used air compressor wired in so I can get to work sandblasting the bronco.
How hard was the harness swap to do? EFI is nice to have, the wiring scares me though.
I hate wiring and it wasnt too bad of a swap. But we left everything attached to the dash and fed all the wires that go forward through the firewall back through and unbolted the dash from the '86 and made it fit in the '92 cab. All the mounting locations are different. Then it was mostly a matter of plugging everything back in on a different truck. The aluminum steering column and brake pedal mount are also out of the '86.
Had some things hooked up wrong because its been a while since the motor was pulled out of the '86 and couldnt remember where everything went. But we got it all figured out using my daily driver '86 for reference. Got it started up yesterday too. Need the add the fuel pump on the frame yet. It only has the pump inside the tank and its not enough to hold fuel pressure to keep it running. Got the brake bled too.
Need to try and get new pics of it on here. Looks a lot tougher with the mud tires.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.