Sponsored by: Moser

V6 3.7 Liter hesitates at 5000RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
ntgcleaner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 3.7 Liter hesitates at 5000RPM

Does anyone else have this problem? If I were to gun it onto an on-ramp, I feel a slight hesitation around 5000 RPM. Once it goes past 5000 it will keep going to 7k, no problem.

I'm wondering if this is common, just the engine? or should I take it back to the dealership?

I just purchased this, used, two weekends ago (my first of many posts here) I love the truck, feel safe in it and it's HUGE! I just hope I don't already have an engine problem in it. The warranty is still good of course, so I would hope they can fix it if there is a problem.

'nuff said. Anyone else with this problem?

Edit: This is a 2013 F-150 SuperCrew.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I've never heard of an issue like that, but generally the electronic controls would be able to detect if there was something wrong. How many miles are on it?

Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
ntgcleaner
New User
It has just under 20,000 miles on it. I haven't gotten any engine codes and the hesitation is quick, but noticeable. Do you think it should throw a code? Should I take it in?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
wonder if a video might help us see what is going on ...

velcro a digital camera to your steering colum and give'er heck!

(i'd kinda like to see a 3.7L singing 7-grand!)

just a thought.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
ntgcleaner
New User
That's a great idea! I'll put something together tonight!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
That's tough to answer. It could just be a portion of the fuel mapping or a change in cam phasing that causes the slight hesitation.

I know that can happen in some variable intake / exhaust cammed engines. I can't say its what is happening to yours.

How do you like the V6?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Christin
Freshman User
My guess is a coil pack....new fords are notorious for defective coil packs. I've changed two on my 2011 F150 Eco so far. One on cylinder #1 and #6. My truck had a hesitation and sometimes shook under hard acceleration when passing

Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could be torque management? Also would love to see/ hear a 3.7 hitting almost 7 grand.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM
ntgcleaner
New User
Hmmm. Great observations. If it weren't under warranty, I would tear it apart, but I think I'll have the factory look at it since it seems to be above my paygrade at the moment.

So far, so good on the V6. I can't say I'm extremely impressed with the torque/power, but I don't normally haul anything (The occasional furniture) I'm a racer at heart and this thing is allowing me to calm down. Of course, I would love more power (I bought this after test driving the 5.7l V8 Tundra TRD...) But I think it's good enough.

I traded in my Chevy Sonic because our carseat wouldn't fit (among other things) and my wife is due in less than 6 weeks! It was a good trade and I got a good price, so overall, my impression is very good for this truck.

I've recorded a video this morning and will be editing/uploading it a bit later.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ntgcleaner
Hmmm. Great observations. If it weren't under warranty, I would tear it apart, but I think I'll have the factory look at it since it seems to be above my paygrade at the moment.

So far, so good on the V6. I can't say I'm extremely impressed with the torque/power, but I don't normally haul anything (The occasional furniture) I'm a racer at heart and this thing is allowing me to calm down. Of course, I would love more power (I bought this after test driving the 5.7l V8 Tundra TRD...) But I think it's good enough.

I traded in my Chevy Sonic because our carseat wouldn't fit (among other things) and my wife is due in less than 6 weeks! It was a good trade and I got a good price, so overall, my impression is very good for this truck.

I've recorded a video this morning and will be editing/uploading it a bit later.
Great can't wait to see. Also, just out of curiosity. What does the 3.7 engine get for mpg's in the real world, and what are your gear ratios? We rarely get 3.7 owners here, so it would be nice to know.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 PM
ntgcleaner
New User
Sorry for the crappy angle and lighting, I'm mainly just getting the sound in here.

In second gear when I gun it, if you watch the needle, you'll notice it 'hesitate' at around 5000RPM. You can hear it and really see it.

As for the gas mileage: Before this morning's video I was sitting at 17.1mpg. (That's after 2 weeks of driving) I have been babying it the past week or so driving to work. After this video, it dropped to 14.6mpg. I drove a lot harder than I usually do on my morning commute, but it worried me whenever I just got it that it did it's hesitating.

Now that you see the vid, you think it should be taken in?

Is there a reason that people don't buy the 3.7L? Is it fuel economy? I would assume that they would either buy the V8 or the smaller ecoboost V6 for better gas mileage.

I'm not exactly sure about the gear ratio yet, but I'll check in the manual. It is only the 2WD version as well.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sorry for the crappy angle and lighting, I'm mainly just getting the sound in here.

In second gear when I gun it, if you watch the needle, you'll notice it 'hesitate' at around 5000RPM. You can hear it and really see it.

As for the gas mileage: Before this morning's video I was sitting at 17.1mpg. (That's after 2 weeks of driving) I have been babying it the past week or so driving to work. After this video, it dropped to 14.6mpg. I drove a lot harder than I usually do on my morning commute, but it worried me whenever I just got it that it did it's hesitating.

Now that you see the vid, you think it should be taken in?
Very interesting. My first impression was that the torque converter was locking, which brought down engine RPMs as the truck was still accelerating. of course I can't see the speedometer needle that well to be sure.

I'd suggest swinging by your service department and seeing what they think. I think it's likely that there isn't anything wrong here, as it doesn't seem like your engine is misfiring or malfunctioning. By watching live data with a good scan tool you could tell if the torque converter was locking, power was intentionally lowered for a moment, or something was wrong.

Is there a reason that people don't buy the 3.7L? Is it fuel economy? I would assume that they would either buy the V8 or the smaller ecoboost V6 for better gas mileage.
The EcoBoost doesn't get better fuel economy; by most accounts it's not even close. The big advantage to the EcoBoost is the diesel-like torque curve for towing, but generally the 5.0L V8 does every bit as well on fuel economy by most accounts. The 3.7L V6 isn't available in a 4x4 crew cab, so availability isn't what the larger engines is. But from the video it appears that the 3.7L has no trouble whatsoever moving your 5,500 lb truck down the road with authority! That thing is far and away better than the last 4.2L V6 they put in the F150.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 PM
ntgcleaner
New User
Hmmmm. I'm not sure it's a traction or torque problem (If I'm understanding you properly). On the second half of the vid, I was already cruising at around 35-40 and it was pretty much in second gear already. I haven't ever felt it slip or even chirp...

It sounds like you're all saying it's not normal, so I think I will bring it in and see what they say. At least show the mechanic the video... Hopefully he can do what you suggest and hook it up to a computer to see the outputs.

aaah, it all makes sense now! Well, I always like to be "unique" and the less people who have what I have, the better I feel (though, I still like being in a community!)

And yes, This truck moves wherever it wants. It's a huge ego improvement over the tiny Chevy Sonic that I had. People don't push me around anymore. I've noticed a HUGE difference already! This truck is more than I will need by itself. I'll be hauling furniture and possibly towing my BMW here and there. Other than that, it's for hauling around a newborn!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
To be honest I think the 3.7L V6 is a great choice. I've never driven one, but it makes more power than the largest V8 in the previous generation F150s. It bears no resemblance to the old 4.2L V6 that I had in my '03.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 PM
TCAS007
Senior User
Of you drive it like that you can't blame the truck for a bad gas mileage.
Don't torture your new truck

Quick Reply: V6 3.7 Liter hesitates at 5000RPM