1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Let's see those OBS snow pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no pics here, but have had some fun in the snow with the truck lately.

i'll recount the instances briefly:
1. "borrowed" a chord of wood from a neighbor a few weeks back and backed it around the steep side hill of my house to the back door in about 10 inches of snow. got the truck stuck on the way out. actually, she was still moving, but sideways and sliding into a ditch - hooked the winch up to a tree and pulled myself out

2. heading out to pick up pizza (since one one will deliver to us in bad weather) the day after the big ice storm here. told the truck to turn right, on a downhill incline. she decided to go straight and came within about a foot of smacking an old stone barn wall. saved by a snowbank! backed her right out and was on my way.

3. on the way to work after some snow last week, I see a guy in a SD 250 4x4 in a snowbank on the side of the road. he was either mending fences at 600am in the dark and snow, or stuck. turns out a school bus drove him off the road. yanked him out by the towhooks with the winch. we had been without power for 6 days by that point and he was a line inspector/spotter for the power company. glad I helped him out!

definitely no complaints with the truck in the snow. with the winch on the front, I find myself trying to get her stuck! but only succeeded the once - on a steep side grade.

happy trucking!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Tried to plow my driveway with the truck for the first time in a while. Found out i need new tires, weight in the back, and maybe a ls rear.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
snowww fun

we had about 2m & 1/2 feet of snow in the Columbia Gorge. some pics are from my driveway and some are up in the woods. everything ran well did super well.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Wished i had that kibda ground clearance! I do think mine would go like that if it did! I gotta watch how much depth I get into or i'll b in trouble !

Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Bill, so let me get this right. Your crew cab, long bed, 4x4 dually got stuck and you got pulled out by a four wheeler? LOL.

Byron' let's not say yet that Bill isn't "damaged". You clearly don't know him like some of the rest of us do!

Awe, I'm just kidding buddy. That's not too far off from some stuff I've done in the past. You get that LS working like it should be and put some meats on the front of that truck and you'll have a horse of a different color on your hands. This wet, slick snow is some nasty stuff and it's real easy to get stuck in it. I just couldn't pass up this opportunity to bust your ***** a little.
I was waiting for that Nate LOL! I was definitely POed when I got home and that exactly what I told my wife! It's terrible that I got a truck like that stuck, and then to be pulled out by a four-wheeler I am definitely fixing the LS and looking at a locker for the front, and at least two new tires that match the rears for the front.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I was waiting for that Nate LOL! I was definitely POed when I got home and that exactly what I told my wife! It's terrible that I got a truck like that stuck, and then to be pulled out by a four-wheeler I am definitely fixing the LS and looking at a locker for the front, and at least two new tires that match the rears for the front.
I'm sure you know, but a locker in the front sucks when you need to turn. I'd rather have a locker in the back and a LS in the front or a LS front and rear...

Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I'm sure you know, but a locker in the front sucks when you need to turn. I'd rather have a locker in the back and a LS in the front or a LS front and rear...
I been looking at the Powertrax Lock-right. It just replaces the spider gears in your existing open carrier, and run anywhere from $390-$420 from what I've seen. You got any good info on a LS for the front?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I been looking at the Powertrax Lock-right. It just replaces the spider gears in your existing open carrier, and run anywhere from $390-$420 from what I've seen. You got any good info on a LS for the front?
I run a Detroit Truetrac in the front of my F-150. I could feel it when I would turn it, but it wasn't like a locker in the front. I was pretty happy with it. I was probably feeling the locker in the rear more than the Truetrac in the front.. On snow or ice you'd probably feel it less than I did on dirt and rocks. In the mud I never really felt it and it looked like it threw mud pretty evenly on both sides. If I ever dig into the front of my SD I'll probably put one in the front of it. I'm probably going to put one in the rear of the SD when I get around to changing the fluid.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(oops - saw snow pics and posted in the wrong forum with my '06 F250)

The fool driving this grader slid off into my ditch this morning while plowing my road. I was already out working on the driveway and decided to hook on just to see if may it was close enough that I could help him out. My F250 was no match for the 14 ton grader. He had to call the big boys to come get him out.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I run a Detroit Truetrac in the front of my F-150. I could feel it when I would turn it, but it wasn't like a locker in the front. I was pretty happy with it. I was probably feeling the locker in the rear more than the Truetrac in the front.. On snow or ice you'd probably feel it less than I did on dirt and rocks. In the mud I never really felt it and it looked like it threw mud pretty evenly on both sides. If I ever dig into the front of my SD I'll probably put one in the front of it. I'm probably going to put one in the rear of the SD when I get around to changing the fluid.
I just found a new take out Trak-Lok for the D60 on ebay for $300.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Cool pics! Nicw try with the motor grader. I would feel like a king if i pulled a grader out of the ditch

Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I just took this pic out the window. The snow on the vehicles is what we got last night and today....and still snowing. The snow on the ground is from the 20 some inches we got the other day. It partially melted down yesterday cause it got up in the 40s. I am sooooooo ready for Spring

Old 02-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
I can get a shot of the snow while sitting on my tail gate if i open the garage door if you like.but thats as close to this slop as my baby is getting.
I am right with ya on that. My 4 sit in the heated garage all winter

Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's Intrax that bought Detroit way back ( maybe original manufacturer ) that makes the original Tru-trac diff. I love mine in the front. Best investment in a long time.
As far as the powertrax crap for 400$. Just buy a real locker for a hundred more and do it right. I've had a few, broke a few, replaced a few, and I prefer a welded rear over one of those waste of money "lockers " that go in place of the spider gears.

My vote
True trac front (possibly arb but I'm still not sure)
Detroit rear or the LSD e-locker is pretty awesome (whatever brand that is)

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I think it's Intrax that bought Detroit way back ( maybe original manufacturer ) that makes the original Tru-trac diff. I love mine in the front. Best investment in a long time.
As far as the powertrax crap for 400$. Just buy a real locker for a hundred more and do it right. I've had a few, broke a few, replaced a few, and I prefer a welded rear over one of those waste of money "lockers " that go in place of the spider gears.

My vote
True trac front (possibly arb but I'm still not sure)
Detroit rear or the LSD e-locker is pretty awesome (whatever brand that is)
I have no experience with lockers. I'm just looking for something good for the front. I'll probably stick with the factory LS in the rear for now. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Let's see those OBS snow pics!