1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

electrical help needed, really needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electrical help needed, really needed

I have a 1960 f100 frame with 1956 f100 body, 292y block. I have repair manuals on order but have major electrical issues now. Many oddities that have a retired jet electrician (not me) scratching his head. Asking for someone to send me or direct me to a wiring diagram for 56 and if possible for a 60. Thanks Matt

Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
One quick query to google images found this as the very first picture.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...ng_Diagram.jpg

There isn't but about 12 wires in the whole truck, so there's nothing that can be too serious. Tell us your problem and perhaps we can help.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
One quick query to google images found this as the very first picture.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...ng_Diagram.jpg

There isn't but about 12 wires in the whole truck, so there's nothing that can be too serious. Tell us your problem and perhaps we can help.
I don't know all the particulars but I'll tell you how it started. No wire has been untouched by previous owners. We are using the referenced wiring diagram but we were unsure if it was correct for the year(s) were working on since we couldn't find anything common to the truck on the diagram. It started with no brake or turn signals at the rear. Started tracing wires (3) back from the tail lights. Then we found a ball of wires behind the dash that we are still unwinding. One of the wires off of the brake sending unit runs through the firewall then up to the column towards the steering wheel. My friend thought that was wrong and didn't square with the diagram so he began to question if we had the correct diagram. we ran out of light. I will try to get some photos the connections at the rear of the truck. Any thoughts?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
don't know if the truck came with a directional column switch, but if using one filament to do brakes and directionals, there should be a wire from the brake sending unit to the directional switch on the column. if that's the case you need the 7 wire (think i have that right) directional switch. search the site for directional switch wiring, and you'll see. good luck, maybe wiring harness time? sometimes less work than trying to sort out a bird's nest of wires.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Rather than attempting to understand the approach of the PO, just get the correct wires connected to the correct points. Unless you are adding circuits, you can build your own harness with some patience.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Given that your truck is built across two different year models, we can't tell from here what wiring diagram would be correct. The brake and turn signal sections should be very similar across year models.

You'll probably have to get a multi-meter and start ohming out wires to create a diagram of what you have.

If you have a real rats nest under the dash, maybe it's time to consider a fresh start. Really good modern wiring harnesses run around $200. The kits come with fuse blocks and are available for projects with extra circuits if you are planning on some accessories. Some of the old fabric wrapped wiring is getting pretty dangerous after nearly 60 years of service.

Dan

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Buy a good wire harness , Ez wire , ron Frances , or something similar . All wires are marked . So easy even I have done a complete rewire on 3 different trucks .

Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Originally Posted by old_dan
Given that your truck is built across two different year models, we can't tell from here what wiring diagram would be correct. The brake and turn signal sections should be very similar across year models.

You'll probably have to get a multi-meter and start ohming out wires to create a diagram of what you have.

If you have a real rats nest under the dash, maybe it's time to consider a fresh start. Really good modern wiring harnesses run around $200. The kits come with fuse blocks and are available for projects with extra circuits if you are planning on some accessories. Some of the old fabric wrapped wiring is getting pretty dangerous after nearly 60 years of service.

Dan
I thought wiring harnesses were three times that expensive. Could you point me in the direction of the one you're thinking of. I am going to keep the truck pretty basic. Thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
ez wire harness in Vintage Car & Truck Parts | eBay

many of us have used ez wire sets. we've done 2 with good results.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I've used the EZ wire harness as well. I used it in a hot rod, but I'll be getting one for my '53 F100.

Here is there home website:
Wiring Harness

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
The universal wiring harnesses may not work with a seven wire turn signal switch.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
i don't rem all the details, but we used ez wire sets on two trucks, with 7 wire directionals. may have made a couple of adjustments to wiring, but don't rem any issues.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a similar situation. The wiring in my truck was just a mess. I just couldn't trust it. As I went through it trying to trace wires and it got worse. I found bare wires under the dash and wires that were just cut and stripped but connected to nothing!

I ripped it all out and started fresh with a 21 circuit harness from EZ wire. Nice to have all clean wires and spare circuits for future upgrades.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went with a very basic 12 circuit harness from Painless wiring. They run $300, but occasionally have a $100 rebate. Summit racing is a source: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-10102/overview/

The Painless and most of the others will support the GM style turn signal connector.

Dan

Quick Reply: electrical help needed, really needed