1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rod & Resto Shop Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod & Resto Shop Ideas

Putting together a business plan for a Rod & Resto Shop and am looking for some ideas. Not going to be building the $150,000 machines, but more in the $25-50K range. Even some Daily Drivers.

1 Full and 1 Smaller paint booth and a blasting booth. Several lifts and some work area and vehicle storage area. Looking to do maybe 1 1/2 - 2 vehicles per month after it gets going. Will farm out engine work.

Also want to have 5-8 double bay areas for rent for guys who have the passion but not the space. Want to be able to provide blast and paint service and maybe allow guys and gals to "rent" some time.

Also will have some storage of vehicles "ready to build" (5-10 vehicles that are for sale and ready to restore).

My questions are -

Are there enough folks who would love to build if they had the space?

Are blasting and piece-meal painting in demand?

Is access to guys who restore for a living a "value" that folks would pay a couple bucks for some one-on-one time?

If you rented a space to build a vehicle, besides a workbench, secure storage, etc. - what other things would you consider important?

Still brain-storming the concept and am looking for some feedback from those who have and are doing this.

or or or

Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
space

When you think about renting space out for restoration work you run into a number of problems . Most guys that would rent space are not that into their builds . If they where really into building something they would have some kind of setup to work in . I tried renting a garage once , and never seemed to get time to get there . But at home I can run out and get something done if only it means cleaning a couple of parts . Second most guys without a shop , end up taking forever to get a project done . Some on this board have been working 5-10 years and are still along way off from finish . I can see someone renting a spot for small jobs but not long term . Then when will you be open ? Many work and can only get to their project after work or weekends . Try telling a guy with his motor 15 minutes from starting for the first time that your closing . If you have 5-8 bays how do you keep my parts from ending up on dirtbags ride . As far as painting and blasting , great ! As far as being there to give advice , remember when you tell someone what to do , Know matter how bad they screw it up , You will get blamed for it . Also check with an insurance company , Liability could ruin you .

Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I would check insurance about renting bays.I am in the finishing stages of completing my 48 project after 10 years working.There was a local rod shop here that charged 90.00 per hour. I couldn't afford that. I happen to run into the shop foreman and he told me he wasn't happy with them and was thinking of opening his own shop.
He opened his new shop about 6 months ago.My truck was the first project there.He is booked for over a year already.He has five bays and a paint booth.He farms out the blasting.His base houtly rate is 45.00 per hour.He did let me come and put my truck together after he finished paint.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There was a place that rented bays here with lifts, they'd even provide some tools (transmission jacks, jackstands, etc). No kidding, they had near 20 bays, all in a big building that had formerly been some kind of warehouse. It was a great deal, I used it to do a clutch once, cost me about $50 for the whole day. Provided compressed air, even loaned some impacts. But it was rare to see more than 3 bays being used, even tho it was in a town where low cost is king. They closed up after a year or so.

PS -- their insurance did not allow any welding or other open flames. That would really crimp on a true build

Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to get a Rod Shop to do a truck for me - I wanted it to look like a shop truck that I would have built in 1966 when I was 18 yrs old - All they would talk about were all the mods they wanted to make, the snazzy paint job and the wicked interior they would build - There shop was always full of cookie cutter trailer queens
I have a Truck in another mechanical type shop right now getting some things done that my disabilities won't allow me to do - They do allow me to come in when I'm able to do body work and some other things that they weren't comfortable with (steering mods)
I still have the first truck sitting just as it was when I talked to the first shop

I'm sure that you can have a steady buisness if you will allow the customer to get what they want, with out safety issues - We all talk to one and other and word gets around

Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have any experience doing this type of work? Reputation is everything! Any customers lined up? Not just friends, actual customers that are willing to pay your hourly rate?
I have been doing this full time for 12 years now and it took 2-3 years to make a profit. Everything costs more and takes longer than planned....The bodywork side is the hardest to make any money on as it is soooo labor intensive...

I would put off the rental part till you get your shop on it's feet.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John, it sounds great! If it will work is another question completely, all outlined in the responses above. I would love to have a place that I could take my truck and use a lift. Laying on my back and trying to work on my truck is really bad for me, I get dizzy when I lay there and lift my head. Some sort of vertigo and my stomach starts feeling bad. A lift would be ideal for me, but insurance and like DR Smith said, most people who work on them everyday would have their own place to work on them. If you had enough space to roll them somewhere out of the way but still inside you might have many more people interested. Years ago there was a Shell station here in Houston that had two lifts that were always for rent. Compressed air and some tools too. I did some work on an old van I had back then and I think it cost me all of 10 for two hours - this was back in the early 70's. If I needed it I would gladly pay 40 or 50 per hour to use a lift now.
Good luck with it, and I wish you were closer

Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
But your insurance would kill... the space that you plan on setting up as rental bays should be used to store your projects and when you finish a car for sale... that way you won't loose parts from people jumping fences... You can also leasing out space if someone wants to sell their car...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I have to agree with everybody on the downsides of renting spaces. Good insurance would be at the top of my list as it would take many years of work just to pay off somebody's lawyer.