Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Senior User

winklershop is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.4 L Injector Clean and Reseal

Does anyone here have experience with the 6.4 L injectors? My truck has a failed HPFP and i have to either replace my entire fuel system or i have to figure out how to clean and reseal everything.

The injectors i would need to find a source for all the seals/orings. I just want to take them apart and clean clean clean them get all the glitter out of them, reseal them and put them back together, will save a ton of $.

The entire fuel system parts cost about $8k. I cant just buy all that stuff and replace everything....thats what ford does just so they can cover their butt, it usually costs around $10,000....thats insane.
6.0 L MODS DUMMY PLUGS/STANDPIPES, STC FITTING, BLUE SPRING, ARP HEAD STUDS, EDGE INSITE GAUGE W/ EGT, EGR STEALTH DELETE, SCT TOW TUNE, UPPIPE SCOOP REM, COOLANT AND OIL BYPASS FILTERS, ALL OEM FILTERS, OEM HEAD GASKET, OEM OIL COOLER, VULVCAN CAC BOOTS
Old 02-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Posting Guru

bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I take it you do KNOW for a fact that you have polluted your complete fuel system.

2008 F250 KR 6.4, 2WD
1999 E250 5.4 High Top
1989 Thunderbird SC
1965 Olds 442 X2
Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Senior User

yeah it has the updated programming that made the engine shut down right away, but still there is glitter in fuel at every fuel connection.
6.0 L MODS DUMMY PLUGS/STANDPIPES, STC FITTING, BLUE SPRING, ARP HEAD STUDS, EDGE INSITE GAUGE W/ EGT, EGR STEALTH DELETE, SCT TOW TUNE, UPPIPE SCOOP REM, COOLANT AND OIL BYPASS FILTERS, ALL OEM FILTERS, OEM HEAD GASKET, OEM OIL COOLER, VULVCAN CAC BOOTS
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Junior User

Booma is starting off with a positive reputation.
I apologize for diverting, but do you know the how/why of whatever caused your HPFP to fail? Was it water in your fuel or another common cause?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Senior User

GSchretter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Schretter.Works GSchretter Olaf Ludwig
Scan youtube in attempting this.

6.4 hpfp replacement or something like that.

Let me find some stuff for you
I guess I love them Fords.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booma View Post
I apologize for diverting, but do you know the how/why of whatever caused your HPFP to fail? Was it water in your fuel or another common cause?
If it's water in fuel, and you have fuel receipts, the station may, MAY, pony up. OR, Your comprehensive insurance will most likely cover.
2010 F250 FX4 King Ranch 6.4L, SWB, 3.55 H&S Mini Maxx, S&B CAI, 4" Powerstroker67 downpipe, 4" aFe Exhaust, 2.5" Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Rancho Steering Stabikizer, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior User

I don’t know for sure what exactly caused the pump to fail. I think that is may be water related. I never got "water in fuel" light. But I may not have been draining the HFCM religiously, but we do ford fuel filters every 10k miles. And I think another attributing factor may be the use of fuel conditioners. I always use power service fuel additive when I am in town, but whenever I go across country I may not always get fuel additive in. I think the fuel additive is extremely important in preventing this? Because it helps remove water from fuel condensation when warm fuel returns to the take. Also adds lubricity, since the HPFP is lubricated by fuel. And filling the tank at the end of every day will help with condensation, which I don’t always get to do.
> >
I took apart the HPFP and found rust splotching all over most of the surfaces. The part that actually failed was the vane portion of the pump. See pictures.
> >
[url=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/winklershop/media/bd8373f9-bb4b-41c5-af32-925df578254b_zps16c5f69b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r774/winklershop/bd8373f9-bb4b-41c5-af32-925df578254b_zps16c5f69b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]>>
> >
You can see the heat had locked in those 5 little rectangle pieces and then the aluminum and steel starting galling on each other. I have taken a lot of the fuel system apart and there is glitter and flakes…everywhere.>>
>>
I was looking at the injector seals, looks like there is only really 3 seals that i would need. i could keep the pizeo all together since fuel doesn’t go inside of that. Then i could disassemble the rest of the injector and clean it, along with the high pressure fuel rail.>>
>>
Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Senior User

that link was messed up, lets try this:
Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Senior User

Grizzly4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any update?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Wow that thing looks beat up!

Maybe the key might be running a bit of engine oil in the fuel for guys with no DPF.
It's got anti-corrosion stuff in it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...0-project.html
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Senior User

Basically we had to do a cab off, entire fuel system tear down. We were able to clean certain parts like the fuel tank, a few lines, but not much. Everything else got replaced with brand new ford parts. They seem to be building the 6.4 injectors so they cannot be taken apart without extremely specialized tools and I would assume that only the ford remanufactures can rebuild them. we replaced all the injectors, hpfp, all the high pressure lines, fuel cooler, hfcm and pump, were able to clean the fuel rails, and we used some old high pressure fuel lines to flush out the return fuel passages in the heads, and im glad we did that because there was a lot of metal debris in there. We also did the front cover update, because ours was cavitated so badly. Our pump failed due to water. Water created rust, and started the galling process. I believe we got water because I was getting fuel out of town, which can contain up to 10% bio diesel, which created the “fuel cheese” in the hfcm, and blocked the wif sensor, and the water got in the fuel and through the pump and then It catastrophic failure from there. This job and the front cover cost us $13k to fix. Going forward, I have learned the water in fuel is a huge deal…because even if you do everything right, you can still get water in your fuel because they use water to remove the sulfer from the fuel, so x amount of water comes from the fuel manufacture, so proper tank maintenance is extremely important. Control your fuel quality; always use a fuel additive, like power service because you get the water dispersant, lubricity additive, and cetane boost. These trace water amounts from the fuel provider could be enough to get by the wif sensor and over time through the hpfp and eventually start to rust to pump. This is why a fuel additive is important to help disperse the water in fuel, it basically surrounds the water molecules so that they don’t touch any of the metal surfaces. As far as the front cover, I will be replacing coolant every year, no matter what. The amount of work this coolant has to do is insane, and this will be even more important on the 6.7 because that cooling system does even more work. The 6.7 also has a very similar hpfp which will be susceptible to the same problems.fficeffice" />>>
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I don't think you want a fuel additive that will disperse the water, or it will go right through the water blocking membrane on the fuel filter.
Maybe thats the reason this happened, wrong fuel additive....

Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
As expensive as that is I wonder if a HPFP replacement is a good preemptive maintenance at say 100K. Wonder what that would cost and/or if it would help at all? Heck a new engine isn't much more than that but not sure what all they come with up top.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Post Fiend

Yeah but there are lots of 6.4's over 100,000 with good HPFP's...

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
Wow that thing looks beat up!

Maybe the key might be running a bit of engine oil in the fuel for guys with no DPF.
It's got anti-corrosion stuff in it.
I run outboard/marine two stroke in mine pretty regularly. Occasionally I'll use an Ashless two stroke instead.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM