1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

please can you help me identify...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please can you help me identify...

greetings from Scotland.

I have recently bought a trailer for my 1956 F100. It is the rear of a 56, sitting on the front of "something". It has a front axle and I want to try and use the brakes, making a braked trailer.

I took a wheel off and the pics below show what I found. I have been through a few websites trying to identify the brake parts, but can't find anything similar --e.g. wheel cylinder with 3 bolt holes; shoes without an adjuster etc.

The shoes are 1.75 in wide, and the brake is an 11in.

Can anyone help me find a rebuild kit? ie cylinders and shoes?

Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
My recommendation would be to scrap all those OEM axle/brake bits and go with a trailer-specific setup with electric brakes. I am not sure how easy it is to get this equipment in your local area but here is an ebay listing that shows what can be boght for very little money... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3500LB-4-DROP-BRAKE-AXLE-95HF-80SC-5-LUG-TRAILER-CARGO-/141126837759?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20dbd0a5ff&vxp=mtrIf you are handy with a welder then you could buy the spindles, an axle tube (pipe), and the brake assemblies to fabricate a custom axle. Less cost, less weight, easier maintenance...what's not to like.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
many thanks, I really like the idea of getting one of those axles.

but, getting it over here.... hmmm.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
My first thought was Chevy, but it's not......could be International, Studebaker or Hudson. Could be a European make too. Definitely an oddball.....
Any part numbers on it?
What is the wheel bolt pattern size? That would help narrow it down.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
How much weight do you plan on hauling around with that thing?
In the long run its probably not worth the effort to get the brakes working.

Another thought would be to see if you could fit a set of electric trailer brake backing plates, etc to the axle.

Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not sure of the laws in Scotland if your have to have trailer brakes, but in the US we don't have to have them unless we are pulling heavy enough weight. I have a pick-up bed trailer that I removed all the brake parts from to reduce drag.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
How much weight do you plan on hauling around with that thing?
In the long run its probably not worth the effort to get the brakes working.

Another thought would be to see if you could fit a set of electric trailer brake backing plates, etc to the axle.

Good luck with it
Bobby
Not much weight, just motorbikes, camping gear, household rubbish etc.
In the UK any trailer over 750kg (1,600 lbs) has to be braked.

Just the frame, ribs, whole bed must weigh a considerable amount, so I will definitely have brakes on it.

I have now found a UK supplier of fixed axles, complete with cable operated brakes, so am going to keep the leaf springs + dampers I have, and use a new axle.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
QBE

Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I'm not sure of the laws in Scotland if your have to have trailer brakes, but in the US we don't have to have them unless we are pulling heavy enough weight. I have a pick-up bed trailer that I removed all the brake parts from to reduce drag.
yep anything over , 1,600 lbs (750kg) needs brakes. Any guesses how much your trailer weighs? I am worrying that mine is becoming unmanageably heavy...

cheers,
QBE

Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
My recommendation would be to scrap all those OEM axle/brake bits and go with a trailer-specific setup with electric brakes. I am not sure how easy it is to get this equipment in your local area but here is an ebay listing that shows what can be boght for very little money...

If you are handy with a welder then you could buy the spindles, an axle tube (pipe), and the brake assemblies to fabricate a custom axle. Less cost, less weight, easier maintenance...what's not to like.
You have hit the nail on the head. I have abandoned the attempts to get the original brakes working and have now sourced fixed axles that are built to my specification that come complete with brakes and hubs.

Not too expensive and I gain a lot of peace of mind...

Many thanks for your advice and reply
Cheers,
QBE

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Is the 1600lbs the Gross Vehicle Weight or just the weight of the trailer? If it was jus the weight of the trailer I'd bet you would be under the weight limit (might be close, but under it)

I think our laws are more lenient due to the fact that most trailers here are pulled by trucks instead of smaller cars.

I'm glad you were able to find a source for an axle.
Bobby

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Quiff_boy_Elvis
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Is the 1600lbs the Gross Vehicle Weight or just the weight of the trailer? If it was jus the weight of the trailer I'd bet you would be under the weight limit (might be close, but under it)

I think our laws are more lenient due to the fact that most trailers here are pulled by trucks instead of smaller cars.

I'm glad you were able to find a source for an axle.
Bobby
The regulations say:
"... require a trailer with a maximum design laden weight of more 750 kg to be braked and allow an inertia (overrun) type braking system to be used up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kg."

So the 1600lbs limit is for the loaded trailer, therefore I'd definitely need brakes.

Now in the UK, you cannot make your own trailer (since 2012). Luckily I am refurbing an existing trailer...

And yes, we have far fewer trucks and a lot of increasingly light cars...

Cheers,
QBE

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiff_boy_Elvis
Not much weight, just motorbikes, camping gear, household rubbish etc.
In the UK any trailer over 750kg (1,600 lbs) has to be braked.

Just the frame, ribs, whole bed must weigh a considerable amount, so I will definitely have brakes on it.

I have now found a UK supplier of fixed axles, complete with cable operated brakes, so am going to keep the leaf springs + dampers I have, and use a new axle.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
QBE
Cable operated brakes? are those runaway brakes or are the electric brakes to work with a brake controller?

Originally Posted by Quiff_boy_Elvis
yep anything over , 1,600 lbs (750kg) needs brakes. Any guesses how much your trailer weighs? I am worrying that mine is becoming unmanageably heavy...

cheers,
QBE
I don't remember... More info about mine is it was made out of a '80 Ch3vy long bed and back half of frame.

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
I wouldn't expect your trailer, empty, weighs in excess of 800 pounds. If you put another 1000 pounds in it, you'd likely sack the springs pretty good. I think you could go either way. Good or bad, most small trailers like that here wouldn't have brakes.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just saw this thread. That axel is a Studebaker axel. I have one just like it on my drag car. It came out of a 29 Studebaker...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Wow!
'29 Studebaker....who'd a thunk

Bobby

Quick Reply: please can you help me identify...