Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Are you prepared?

Hi everyone,

Imagine this scenario:

You're heading home from getting some milk. It's 2° F out. You happen to be on an extremely rural road in southern Massachusetts. No houses around, no light to speak of, and snow banks on either side of the road. You hit a bump, something feels really wrong, and two seconds later your tire pressure light comes on. You coast to a stop as far over as possible, get out, and see this:

Are you prepared to change a tire? Are you familiar with where your jack is, how to assemble it and employ it to get the tire off the ground? Do you know how to get the spare tire down? Do you have a hat, coat, and gloves, or will you freeze to death in the process of trying to figure all this stuff out? Remember it's a good 30° below freezing out.

It just happened to me less than an hour ago. Fortunately I've played around with my jack and spare tire apparatus, so when the time came I sort of knew what I was doing. I used the flash of my smartphone as a flashlight and had it changed in less than a half hour. During this time not a single car came by. When it was all done I was a bit chilly, but still fully functional without frozen digits by the time I got back in the truck. I only had to remove a glove to spin on and off lug nuts.

Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have my hat, gloves, flashlight, jacket, or an understanding of how to change a tire on THIS truck.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not likely that I will be in that particular situation, but I will say this:
If you do not know, or havent ever looked for the jack and tire changing tools in the 09-14 trucks, it would be a smart idea to grab your manual and put your hands on the equipment just to familiarize yourself with it.

Im sort of embarrassed to admit this, but Im glad it happened. A few months AFTER I bought my truck, I was changing a taillight bulb in my wifes car, and in the process of changing it I had to lift the "floor" in the trunk to get the assembly out. I started poking around and looking at the spare, jack etc. I decided to check out the jack in my truck. I LOOKED FOR 20 MINUTES, and couldnt find it. After consulting the manual I found where the hid (well hidden actually) it, and how to access it. Way different then the nylon bag with the tools and jack screwed to the floor under the rear seat of my 2005 F150. Had I been on the side of the road where I would have already been upset at having a flat in the first place, I may have had a stroke trying to find this stuff.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
What caused the flat Tom? Do you know?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I see the tire says Goodyear on it, that probably the reason

Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
No idea Steve. That section of road is pretty rough, and the bump that seemed to have caused it has been there for quite awhile. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tire when I looked it over, and I didn't see where the air was hissing from.

The tire deflated faster than I've ever seen though. I wonder if it's possible that it became unseated from the rim?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know what you mean, the jack setup & equipment that comes with our trucks is a complete joke. Truthfully I'm not even sure where it is located on my 2013 Screw, doesn't look like it's in the same location as it was on my 2011 Scab?

But anyway, yes I have played with the setup on my 2011 a few times, and it is a royal PITA to deal with. I keep a breaker-bar in my tool box just incase, and have debated on picking up one of those smaller floor-jacks, to throw in my tool box as well.

Glad everything went ok and you got the truck pulled over to the side of the road. Something to think about for those of you with over-sized tires, or a limited slip differential etc...

Know that if your spare is smaller than your aftermarket tires, you may risk damage to your LSD , clutch packs, or could throw the traction control into a frenzy, as it reads speed differences between the wheels. If you have a rear LSD, it is best to move a wheel from the front, to the back if a rear is flat.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, that is good advice to give to folks as the flat tire never happens in the well lit, warm, dry, parking lot with tons of free time to change the tire. Its good to be prepared.

I'd be interested to see maybe what caused that flat. That would have to be one heck of a bump to cause a truck tire to break the bead...but if it did...at least you won't be replacing a $300 tire (more like 600 b/c you should replace in pairs).

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
I know what you mean, the jack setup & equipment that comes with our trucks is a complete joke. Truthfully I'm not even sure where it is located on my 2013 Screw, doesn't look like it's in the same location as it was on my 2011 Scab?
Nope, in a Screw you'll find it under the rear seat. To be honest I really didn't have any issues with the factory scissor jack. I liked how the three extensions permitted me to jack it up without hunching down under the truck; they extended out past the rear bumper.

I think the only time a breaker bar should ever be necessary is if the tires aren't regularly rotated or they are overtorqued. I use a torque wrench to tighten my lugs at the specified 150 ft-lbs and had no trouble whatsoever getting them loose. The only downside I can find to the factory setup is the relative complexity with the several extensions, spare tire lock, and the lug wrench that doubles as a lever to operate the jack. They do this to make the whole system fit in a small space, but it's not real intuitive unless you've taken the time to figure it out.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You definitely were not prepared. And you definitely need to carry more things with you.

If you're cold in 2F weather then you need a clothing upgrade. I carry a duffle bag in my truck with insulated body suit, waterproof insulated boots, heavy ski gloves, heavy ski hat with ear covers, full face mask, and goggles. This gives me 100% coverage of all skin. I can stand outside in -30F wind chill for hours and not be bothered at all. I also have a blanket, extra water, and 2 days food (granola bars).

I keep a flashlight and multi-tool, mainly for the pliers and insanely sharp knife. I also have large channel lock pliers, a large claw hammer, folding shovel, a couple screw drivers, and two crescent wrenches. I have a bit of electrical wire, ring terminals and butt splices, fuses, and a crimper/wire stripper, and 100 feet of para cord. I have a fire extinguisher year round under the back seat. And I keep tire chains and Bubba Rope for pulling or being pulled, and a jump start battery pack with integral air compressor. Although, to be fair I have not replaced the jump battery since last time the battery stopped taking a charge so I don't travel with it right now.

The other benefit of the jump battery is you never have to risk damage to your vehicle if somebody else needs a jump. I've never used it for myself but I've probably used it 7 times for other people. The tire chains are illegal to use in my state but who gives a **** if you actually need them.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Truthfully I'm not even sure where it is located on my 2013 Screw, doesn't look like it's in the same location as it was on my 2011 Scab?
It is inside the rectangular shelf under the rear seat. Pull out the tray insert on the driver side, loosen two butterfly bolts on the passenger side, and then you should be able to pull a box out through the hole where the tray was located. The box has all the gear in it.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 AM
bankshot
Senior User
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
You definitely were not prepared. And you definitely need to carry more things with you.

If you're cold in 2F weather then you need a clothing upgrade. I carry a duffle bag in my truck with insulated body suit, waterproof insulated boots, heavy ski gloves, heavy ski hat with ear covers, full face mask, and goggles. This gives me 100% coverage of all skin. I can stand outside in -30F wind chill for hours and not be bothered at all. I also have a blanket, extra water, and 2 days food (granola bars).

I keep a flashlight and multi-tool, mainly for the pliers and insanely sharp knife. I also have large channel lock pliers, a large claw hammer, folding shovel, a couple screw drivers, and two crescent wrenches. I have a bit of electrical wire, ring terminals and butt splices, fuses, and a crimper/wire stripper, and 100 feet of para cord. I have a fire extinguisher year round under the back seat. And I keep tire chains and Bubba Rope for pulling or being pulled, and a jump start battery pack with integral air compressor. Although, to be fair I have not replaced the jump battery since last time the battery stopped taking a charge so I don't travel with it right now.

The other benefit of the jump battery is you never have to risk damage to your vehicle if somebody else needs a jump. I've never used it for myself but I've probably used it 7 times for other people. The tire chains are illegal to use in my state but who gives a **** if you actually need them.
Don't be a one upper

Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Suck that happened. Glad you were able to get it sorted. It will be interesting to see where the leak was from

When I rotate tires (every 5k miles) I use the spare as a "placeholder" while doing the rotational pattern. This way the tire-winch cable gets used (and won't be stuck when I need it). I also check the spare tire pressure, although I always have a 12v tire inflator on board with me. The only item in the factory kit that doesn't get used is the scissors jack. I have a 5 ton floor jack that gets used along with 2 jack stands when rotating the tires, however it uses the same jacking locations.

It was -1F this morning on the way to work. I honestly say that I did NOT have the proper winter gear on board to be outside changing a tire. With that being said, I think it's time to throw together a winter bag of survival gear to have.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First off, Tom. Glad to hear that you were able to get it changed, and back inside a warm truck. And to be honest.....I looked for an hour after we got our used 2011 Super Crew home and could NOT, find the jack and tire tool. So, yes it was another trip to the dealership to show me where it is located. I have at least checked the tire pressure in the spare to make sure it is aired up properly.
Good Post, you got a lot of minds stirring!

Unk Bob

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip

Ok QwkTrip forgive me for asking this but...are you a doomsday prepper?

Tom...I agree we should all get familiar with where these things are and practice their use in the event that happens to any of us. Just like people need to practice putting on snow chains (under good weather) if they don't drive with them often. Glad you made it home safely!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 AM
adkhunter
Freshman User
Sucks it happened but I agree with that it's also aa good thing since it made you aware of what you should do again or different in the future as far as what tools and supplies to keep in the truck. I don't carry as much as I should but I've been trained to survive on much less if I truly had to. I always have some extra drinks kicking around and some snacks. A gerber multi tool and a good knife, some random sized wrenchs and small sockets and assorted screw drivers in a small tool box. 100 ft of nylon rope and usually at least 4 ratchet straps. Heavy tow rope. Usually at least 3 to 4 flash lights and headlamps scattered about. Wool gloves and a lighter pair of work gloves. Winter hat. Frogg togg rain gear (packs small and is light weight). And there's always a jacket and sweatshirt in the tool box as well. O and can't forget jumper cables and a 12v powered small air compressor. Everyone should adjust their supplies as different seasons roll through as well. It never hurts to have to much stuff. Never know when you will need it!

Quick Reply: Are you prepared?