1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need a picture - please

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a picture - please

Does anyone have a picture (more is better) of the finished installation of the Toyota power steering box and the pulley arrangements used for the steering pump?

I ran into what seems like an insurmountable issue related to where the water pump pipe crosses the pulley setup on my truck.

I know this subject has been worked to death prior to my joining the forum but it is a very important topic to me at this point.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi I have had the same thaughts and stumbled over this for sale add, look on the engine bay pictures and you will find one possible solution.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=237137

Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
However I belive this particular truck has the ram assist... But youget the picture

Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Some photos here may help

Power Steering

Old 02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thank you guys. Both of these links were very useful but don't address my issue:

Apparently what I have is a "high mount fan". The water pump pipe comes straight down to the left side of the two fan belts. If I try to mount the power steering pump anywhere on the left side (near the fuel pump) the water pump pipe will prohibit any belt connection to the pulley.

53 - you are really do a great job on your steering unit and with the Y Block gone you have some options for the pump that I cannot yet see that I have.

Sorry to belabor this but I really am stumped.

Fred

On the red '56 it appears the power steering pump is on the right side of the fan but he would have had to relocate the generator which is not obvious in the picture.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabieber
Thank you guys. Both of these links were very useful but don't address my issue:

Apparently what I have is a "high mount fan". The water pump pipe comes straight down to the left side of the two fan belts. If I try to mount the power steering pump anywhere on the left side (near the fuel pump) the water pump pipe will prohibit any belt connection to the pulley.

53 - you are really do a great job on your steering unit and with the Y Block gone you have some options for the pump that I cannot yet see that I have.

Sorry to belabor this but I really am stumped.

Fred

On the red '56 it appears the power steering pump is on the right side of the fan but he would have had to relocate the generator which is not obvious in the picture.
I belive the stock generator is still in its original place.

If you save the engine bay picture and magnify it some you can see the waterpump belt going down towards the place where the generator is, and in one of the under-carriage pictures one can see the earth kabel going from the fram to "something"

So I belive the PS pump is above and in front of the generator.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 AM
fabieber
Senior User
Jimmy - I am going to look carefully at my engine to study how I might mount the pump somewhere near the generator. I actually contemplated that but wondered about the length of hoses necessary to get over to the steering box. I believe what you are pointing out are the hoses that cross under the oil pan and seem to go to the steering box area.

Next daylight opportunity I will take and post some pictures of my fan setup and the water pump pipe. The engine is out of the truck.

Great looking project you are working on and some great links....thank you very much.

Fred

Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabieber
Jimmy - I am going to look carefully at my engine to study how I might mount the pump somewhere near the generator. I actually contemplated that but wondered about the length of hoses necessary to get over to the steering box. I believe what you are pointing out are the hoses that cross under the oil pan and seem to go to the steering box area.

Next daylight opportunity I will take and post some pictures of my fan setup and the water pump pipe. The engine is out of the truck.

Great looking project you are working on and some great links....thank you very much.

Fred
Remember this truck has the ram assist and I think that is mounted between the axel and tierod, so that might be the hoses you see

Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
Remember this truck has the ram assist and I think that is mounted between the axel and tierod, so that might be the hoses you see
I actually have a ram assist unit and agree that those are the hoses I see.
Recently had a great exchange of info with one of the forum guys who removed his ram assist because of severe handling issues. He strongly encouraged me to use the Toyota box.
In either case, I still have to have a power steering pump so will dedicate some head time to it this weekend to see what I can come up with.

Fred

Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thank you Ross. The picture is of a different style of water pump than I have but I see the concept of the added crank pulley.

I'll get this engineered or die trying!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Why can't you take out the straight pipe nipple and replace it with a street elbow or AN fitting or whatever fittings are needed to reroute the heater hose out of the way?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
fabieber
Senior User

Hi Ax.
Not sure this picture will clear anything up but what I am dealing with is the large pipe that comes down from the water pump. When the hose from the radiator connects to that pipe there is a complete blockage of any route for another belt if I mounted the steering pump on the fuel pump side of the engine.
Fred

Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OK, I see. I thought you wanted to mount the pump on the other side and was concerned with the 1/2" pipe nipple that went to the heater hose. You might PM numberdummie to see if he can shed some light on how it was done in the day. Worse comes to worse, you might need to switch the engine front to the passenger car version.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Ax-

By switching the engine front are you referring to a different timing gear cover and water pump?

Quick Reply: Need a picture - please