Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.
Outside Rear Veiw Mirrors

Does anyone make the rear view mirror arm that is not just a chrome plated pot metal POS? Does anyone sell just the arm so that when you break the bottom of the new mirror arm installing it? I saw some 5" mirrors on ebay, are they any better? I'm a little pissed right now, don't know if it shows.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Are you talking about the small, short mirrors that attach to the door flange near the wing windows?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ross, What I am reffering to is this type of mirror
Click the image to open in full size.

I just purchased some and was installing today. I ground the hinge down to fit the mirror arm, tapered the new pin, thought that everything was lined up right, The pin went down ok but when I gave it a tap to set the splines on the pin the bottom of the arm broke. The arm looks like it is just chrome plated pot metal. I know that most of this repo stuff is just imported crap but I would like to get some quality mirrors and I don't mind spending a little extra for good stuff. I did not buy my mirrors from the vender that I got the picture from by the way.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I put these on mine too, when hammering the pins in through the bottom piece I braced it from underneath with a piece of wood to absorb the shock. I had some rags taped to the wood in case it slipped onto the paint. I can see how they'd break easily otherwise.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 AM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
I had to grind some out of mine to make them fit around my hinges, I also supported the bottom with a 2x4 as I tapped the hinge pin home. I need to replace my heads they were painted blue... I want the chrome mirror. I would love to the orig adjustable mirror arms that had separate mounting brackets.

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Posting Guru

49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.
Chuck, I will travel the same path shortly and have a pair of the same mirrors. Thanks for posting the problem. Did it break at the bottom hole or the top hole? If it broke at the bottom hole, I think that in addition to a careful fitup as you did, I will insert a right diameter pin up thru the lower hole and up a short distance in the hinge to insure alignment at the bottom hole to hinge hole and then chase it out as I install the pin in from the top.

Your truck looks fantastic and you did it in record time!

49 F-1 Jag IFS, 3.70 9" rear, 383 stroked sbc, 700R4 AOD
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Alignment isn't the problem, it's that the pin is a friction fit in the mirror and tries to push it down as it drives in. Support the bottom and you won't have a problem.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willard View Post
Chuck, I will travel the same path shortly and have a pair of the same mirrors. Thanks for posting the problem. Did it break at the bottom hole or the top hole? If it broke at the bottom hole, I think that in addition to a careful fitup as you did, I will insert a right diameter pin up thru the lower hole and up a short distance in the hinge to insure alignment at the bottom hole to hinge hole and then chase it out as I install the pin in from the top.
It broke at the bottom hole and I did use a old pin in the bottom for alignment. When the new pin started in the bottom hole I thought that every thing was good so I removed the old pin from the bottom but I never thought about supporting it from the bottom with a piece of wood when setting the splines on the new pin, I will give it a try.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Pot metal doesn't seem appropriate for something with both a radial press fit and forces during installation. But entirely in character for modern repro stuff.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior User

reg1952 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I broke one of mine as well. And they not cast very well. Seems like the holes are not in the right place either so it wont allow the mirror to swing back far enough to make them even close to being able to see the back of the truck.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
I got a set of the correct style truck mirrors: Ford Parts Search - C&G Ford Parts
Old 02-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I got a set of the correct style truck mirrors: Ford Parts Search - C&G Ford Parts
Could you give us some detailed pics of the mounting end before and after install? And how is the quality? Thanks!

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Thanks 38 coupe, I didn't know that those were available anywhere.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
I haven't installed the mirrors yet. I'm not doing much work on the F-2 right now. I am spending all my old car time either helping a friend put an original power steering setup in his 53 Mercury sedan (I will post pictures when I get to the point when there is something worth showing), or working on my 53 Ford sedan. My girlfriend and I are planning to drive the 53 sedan up to the Central National Early Ford V8 Club meet this summer. We drove to the Grand National meet last summer and she liked riding in the sedan, I gotta keep her happy!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Cool. Since you haven't installed them yet I'll settle for a couple close ups of the mounting end.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM