Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willard View Post
Ben, What are you currently using for mirrors that don't work? Are they the same mirrors that Chuck is using? I ask since I have a pair of the same ones as Chuck is using AND I plan to use them to pull an enclosed trailer (trailer sides inside the trailer wheels). When I got Willard, he had had the typical west coast mirror which I will not go back to.
I do like the way these look on the truck but I am not sure how well they are going to work. They may be a little small if the truck was used regularly for towing a trailer. I was thinking of maybe changing the mirror to a 5" simmiliar to what is used on a early Chevy but I going to give these a try first.
Click the image to open in full size.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 AM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
I also have a peep mirror on the drivers side and want to get another one to for the passenger side. I like having both mirrors... Just need to get chrome mirror heads for the lower mirrors...
Attached Images

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Posting Guru

49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.

I had the same mirror on my 38 Woodie back when and it was OK, however, I was not towing with it.

These were the mirrors that were on Willard when I bought him back in the late 70's. Great for trailering but they are long gone and will stay gone!

49 F-1 Jag IFS, 3.70 9" rear, 383 stroked sbc, 700R4 AOD
Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Elder User

ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.ChuckRob has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49willard View Post

I had the same mirror on my 38 Woodie back when and it was OK, however, I was not towing with it.

These were the mirrors that were on Willard when I bought him back in the late 70's. Great for trailering but they are long gone and will stay gone!
Bill, I agree, Those were really butt ugly.

What Toy Should I Play With Today
Still A Kid After All These Years.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has a good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckRob View Post
I just purchased some and was installing today. I ground the hinge down to fit the mirror arm, tapered the new pin, thought that everything was lined up right, The pin went down ok but when I gave it a tap to set the splines on the pin the bottom of the arm broke. The arm looks like it is just chrome plated pot metal. I know that most of this repo stuff is just imported crap but I would like to get some quality mirrors and I don't mind spending a little extra for good stuff. I did not buy my mirrors from the vender that I got the picture from by the way.
I had the same problem. I like the shape of the mirrors but the hinge mount is not a good design. I got mine from Speedway. I asked them how to get a new bracket and they sent me a new mirror at no charge.

I also found these larger stalk mirrors that I thought that I could use if I want to tow a trailer.
Attached Images

2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
^^^^^^^ Where did you get the rectangle one's? they look like they're stylish and practical.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:19 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
They appear to be motorcycle mirrors?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has a good reputation on FTE.petemcl has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamagrant View Post
^^^^^^^ Where did you get the rectangle one's? they look like they're stylish and practical.
I think that I saved that picture from eBay. They delete things after a while so I can't find the link. I'll keep looking.

Motorcycle . . . Maybe Ross but I found them under a truck search.

EDIT: I found these square mirrors which should work. I think that they should fit on the curved hinge pin arms.
https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/15882/Rectangle_Billet_Mirror_Head_Large.html
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is the mirror C&G is selling:

The arm can be extended, the angle of the arm adjusted, and the mirror itself can be unbolted. I think the mirror is larger in diameter than the more decorative mirrors discussed above in this thread.

Here is a close up of the hinge mount area. This mirror also comes with a hinge pin.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
I'm glad I saved a link to the information on how to block posts.

I had undone that a while back to give a member the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm convinced I don't want to ever read anything he ever says again.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 02-16-2014, 11:45 AM