1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1997 Expedition Main Oil Seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM
mesbe1972
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Expedition Main Oil Seal

I'm going to replace the Main oil seal in my 1997 Expedition. After recently finding out through a car history site that my odometer has been tampered with and that we are going to keep the truck as our daily driver until the Expy dies while our kids finish high school and sports.

She runs great, need to replace the vacuum lines and the elbow you guys have been talking about on here causing engine lights to come on, for rich fuel and our A/C cutting out when stepping on gas going up hill. All of this work needs to be done by me cause the car is not worth spending money on labor because it can never be sold to anyone else after finding out about the above mentioned problem. We are not the kind of family that would do that to someone else. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated in advance. Thank you.

I bought the Oil seal, Pan Gasket, Purple Cleaner, oil, filter, and am now ready to rip out the transmission. I used to work on VW's as a kid and had the fun of getting back into the grease last weekend as our breaks went from normal to grinding with no warning.

How can I get this done with out ruining any expensive parts? Please HELP.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mesbe1972
I'm going to replace the Main oil seal in my 1997 Expedition. After recently finding out through a car history site that my odometer has been tampered with and that we are going to keep the truck as our daily driver until the Expy dies while our kids finish high school and sports.

She runs great, need to replace the vacuum lines and the elbow you guys have been talking about on here causing engine lights to come on, for rich fuel and our A/C cutting out when stepping on gas going up hill. All of this work needs to be done by me cause the car is not worth spending money on labor because it can never be sold to anyone else after finding out about the above mentioned problem. We are not the kind of family that would do that to someone else. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated in advance. Thank you.

I bought the Oil seal, Pan Gasket, Purple Cleaner, oil, filter, and am now ready to rip out the transmission. I used to work on VW's as a kid and had the fun of getting back into the grease last weekend as our breaks went from normal to grinding with no warning.

How can I get this done with out ruining any expensive parts? Please HELP.
How bad does it leak and what weight oil u running? Synthetic or dino what?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 PM
mesbe1972
New User

First, thanks for the reply. I am running a High mileage synthetic blend 5/30 in it at the moment by Valvoline. The leak is pretty good to be honest. The whole pan is covered all around it and sometimes I get little puddles when I let it sit and run. When turned off its just a drip, here and there. I've looked under the hood, taken out the wheel plastic stuff and haven't seen any oil there. I assumed it was just going to be a bad pan gasket so was just going to replace it. Then someone said it could be the main oil seal under the pain gasket so I went and bought one. They don't come in two pieces any more and came to learn it needs to have the transmission removed. So I need so advise.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Well id be 100% sure it was the main seal you might get lucky and it will be the oil pan gasket or the oil filter housing has a gasket behind that but sounds like you done your searching and its the main. To be honest i have not done a main yet. I would though if mine ever leaks. But i would start by searching the net and making sure i got a good idea of what i was getting into. Im lookin for my manual to see if it has instructions once i find it il let you kno so u can get one if it does. Bit i would just take it nice and slow and label take pics or whatever helps me rember the way it came out. I really think you can handle it though. The hardest part will be the weight of the tranny and aligning it back up. But if your confident doing that id say go for it.just make sure it is the main. Good luck keep updates on here im interested since iv not done one either.and good oil choice too.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM
mesbe1972
New User
No, worries. I'll post all pics through the way of a new guy doing this cause I heard it's like 1800 in a shop. I have like 50 in parts and I'm going to order a self leveling trans jack adapter on eBay for 54.95 free shipping. I figure the car is only worth a 1000 with mileage discrepancies at the DMV so worth my time to try. May have golf tournament Saturday but its coming apart Sunday wait for first pics and updates. Thanks again

Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Jimmys. The oil filter housing is famous for leaking and it's a much easier fix. I'd clean the underside first with a degreaser and check closely. Could even be a leaky valve cover as this is pretty common too.

Nothing worse then pulling it apart, putting in the new seal and fixing the wrong place.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Nothing worse then pulling it apart, putting in the new seal and fixing the wrong place.
Oh yeah? Ever reassemble an engine only to discover the head gasket set under some rags after you were all done?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by alloro
Oh yeah? Ever reassemble an engine only to discover the head gasket set under some rags after you were all done?
Nope, never have done that.

I guess the old adage, "measure twice, cut once" applies on most engine repairs.

I have however, had a bolt or two left over when done. Not a good feeling to have to go back and find that mistake.

I do separate each of the parts in different areas of the engine I'm working on in plastic containers, to minimize finding parts when almost done.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
mesbe1972
New User
I'm pretty sure that my point of attack is going to be, drain oil. Remove pan look around with light and make sure whats going on before I just decide to rip of the tranny for a weekend long job that I'm positive will not be as much fun as playing golf. I have just made my self aware that this main seal is behind said pan and have made sure I have done as much asking as possible before just trying to get by with a quick fix. I hate taking stuff apart and saying well ****, that is the problem there and now no one has the part and my job is sitting here until said part can be ordered. or come to find out that there is some funky tool that only New England lends out once a year in summer time. If you get my drift. I haven't turned a wrench in 20 plus years and in the last month, I've found myself installing stereos again. Changing brakes, rotors. And now taking this on LOL Thanks for the support guys

Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

I'm pretty sure that my point of attack is going to be, drain oil. Remove pan look around with light and make sure whats going on before I just decide to rip of the tranny for a weekend long job that I'm positive will not be as much fun as playing golf. I have just made my self aware that this main seal is behind said pan and have made sure I have done as much asking as possible before just trying to get by with a quick fix. I hate taking stuff apart and saying well ****, that is the problem there and now no one has the part and my job is sitting here until said part can be ordered. or come to find out that there is some funky tool that only New England lends out once a year in summer time. If you get my drift. I haven't turned a wrench in 20 plus years and in the last month, I've found myself installing stereos again. Changing brakes, rotors. And now taking this on LOL Thanks for the support guys
Not sure I understand? Why just remove the oil pan? If that's leaking then I get it. If not, I go back to my original point.
Clean up your underside and drive it. Then inspect where the oil is coming from.
Once everything is clean, it will much easier to see potential leaks and their origination points.

If the oil pan is already sealed from leaking,you don't need to remove it to replace the rear seal.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM
mesbe1972
New User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Not sure I understand? Why just remove the oil pan? If that's leaking then I get it. If not, I go back to my original point.
Clean up your underside and drive it. Then inspect where the oil is coming from.
Once everything is clean, it will much easier to see potential leaks and their origination points.

If the oil pan is already sealed from leaking,you don't need to remove it to replace the rear seal.
I see what you are saying as well. But for the amount of oil I'm losing it has to be gaskets, seals, some stupid grommet. I guess my way of "cleaning" it as you say is to take it apart, clean all parts and replace the gaskets grommets, oil ring, and plug bolt. just to make sure I have done on the bottom side. Like i said before I've taken the wheel wells out and looked at the valve gaskets and that is not a factor. no oil from around that area. Besides its in the 60's right now not sure I want to roll around under my truck with a pressure washer getting wet. I'm sure I'm going to hear it for that comment but I like it in the 110 degree weather.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

. Besides its in the 60's right now not sure I want to roll around under my truck with a pressure washer getting wet. I'm sure I'm going to hear it for that comment but I like it in the 110 degree weather.
Not sure pulling the tranny, cross member, driveshaft, linkage, etc is any better when the temps are in the 60's vs a little water?

Sounds like great weather to pressure wash.