Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Elder User

d-day is starting off with a positive reputation.
torque screw questions..

I know this has been brought up a number of times.. I am just looking for a little more bottom end, I have a 6.9 that is naturally aspirated. The pump and injectors came out of a 7.3, that were rebuilt. Any help would be appreciated on this torque screw meaning which way in or out lol, & I do have a pyro, like I said I'm just looking for a little more bottom and and not really looking for a smokeshow. Here are some pictures just to make sure this is the screw

And I also used the lines of of the 7.3
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Postmaster

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ranger_nog hairyboxnoogle
I dont think thats the screw... at least it doesnt look like mine.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Senior User

ifrythings is starting off with a positive reputation.
The top hex bolt would be for the top cover, the bottom stud with nut is the "Min/Max rod" (don't adjust that one) and the torx screw with no paint on it would be the torque screw. It looks like who ever rebuilt that pump just removed the torque screw all together (it should be a stud with a nut on it)

Click the image to open in full size.

All the screw does it limit max fuel at LOW rpm so you don't get black smoke, at high rpm max fuel is limited by the internal leaf spring and the torque screw doesn't do anything.

Adjusting the screw out will give more fuel at lower rpm but if it's set correctly to begin with it won't help much if at all and all you'll get is more black smoke (and this is assuming the screw that's in there right now is even doing anything at the moment or if the pump builder just calibrated it like a pump with out the screw).

Take a look at this thread:old db2 tricks has lots of good info.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
only the 92.5 - 1994 n/a and turbo ip's have a torque screw.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Elder User

I'm kind of curious because my old 6.9 pump looks like this

On the back

And the 7.3 has this allen bolt?

Says: DB2-5028 on the pump tag
Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Postmaster

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ranger_nog hairyboxnoogle
yea thats what i was thinking, that torx screw is in the right spot, but doesnt look like mine. Pull it out and see what it looks like, how long is it for example? I can go out to my other pump and see how much its sticking into the pump if you like. I set it so that it would haze pretty good but not roll coal, granted i have a turbo too, but it doesnt spool that fast anyway. I had to back mine off pretty good after i turned up the fuel.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Elder User

I'll pull out the screw tomorrow I don't have a Torx bit or a allen wrench that will fit right now.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Posting Guru

RacinNdrummin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's just a plug.

The Torque screw is just for emissions, its a metering valve limiter for snap tests and whatnot. It basically (Governor influence aside) does the same thing as putting a block of wood under your accelerator pedal.

All my pumps get a plug in place of the torque screw.

2013 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost CC 6.5'bed
Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin View Post
That's just a plug.

The Torque screw is just for emissions, its a metering valve limiter for snap tests and whatnot. It basically (Governor influence aside) does the same thing as putting a block of wood under your accelerator pedal.

All my pumps get a plug in place of the torque screw.
So what your saying is don't F with it? Lol. I'm just curious I'll have to pull it tonight. Just looking for a little more bottom end
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Posting Guru

RacinNdrummin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Adding a torque screw to that pump won't do anything.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)