1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How to safely deflate a widowmaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GB, it looks like you have a great place! And of course a bullet could possibly bounce off and come back at you, but highly unlikely. I used to target shoot 22's long ago in an NRA sanctioned program, and some of us would shoot at metal targets on our own time. Thousands of rounds and never had a problem.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
GB, it looks like you have a great place! And of course a bullet could possibly bounce off and come back at you, but highly unlikely. I used to target shoot 22's long ago in an NRA sanctioned program, and some of us would shoot at metal targets on our own time. Thousands of rounds and never had a problem.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by abe
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
It could have happened I am sure, but never did. I am much more worried about the crazy drivers around here than any guns. Cars and trucks are big and heavy and when driven by people who are talking or texting or putting make up on or they just don't care, I worry. Luckily I still have both eyes because I need them to watch out for the crazies.
And a kid I aint.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I still have both eyes, but my fingers as a woodworker, I think I have already posted. Not so good. Worked on my 47's brakes from 4:30 til 7 :30 tonight.

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope you didn't perform Rambo style surgery on yourself.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I still have both eyes, but my fingers as a woodworker, I think I have already posted. Not so good. Worked on my 47's brakes from 4:30 til 7 :30 tonight.
Ouch!! I have been working with wood for the last 40 years, so far so good. The worst injury I ever got was a splinter that pushed a piece of skin in deep on my index finger. Two months later I had a "tumor" where the body protects itself from the foreign object, in this case a tiny piece of my own skin, and forms tumor around it. It was the size of a marble and getting bigger on the palm side of my finger. After a $15K surgery that took all of 20 minutes, it is back to normal.
Not long ago, and since my table saw was over 30 years old, I purchased a new one. A SawStop table saw. It is a saw that automatically and instantly stops if you touch the blade while it is running. The blade will be ruined and you will have to buy a new $70 cartridge, but much better than cutting a finger or worse.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:26 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
As I usually say when I walk into a room and see that, YOU DID IT GOOD. They did a good job repairing it. Don't you just love that big needle sinking down into your finger?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How far from the mountains should one build a house?
There is a video and the last picture has multiple pictures.

PHOTOS: When Barn-Sized Boulder Meets Barn, Barn Loses : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Fortunately my wife works at the local medical clinic. She has extra compassion for me! Still can't cut me a deal on the bill. She was an EMT on our fire dept for 20 years and I'm here to say it's great to have a medic in the house, specially with the way I operate. Topmoo, I have heard of that sawstop saw and how it was always tested with a hot dog. More than once I said I'd like to see the inventer stop it with his finger (or some other digit), then I'd be convinced. Now I am! Holy **** that thing is amazing. Is it a good saw in other respects?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
GB, when they first came out years ago they weren't. Now they are excellent. I have a 3hp cabinet saw with a 52" fence. I replaced a General that I had upgraded with a Biesemeyer fence. The Sawstop is by far the superior saw. Quiet, powerful, great dust collection, tilt and blade height mechanisms work easily, nice large throat and plate to make changes easy, and an excellent fence. It also has a high quality switch. If you need to cut something wet or with metal you have a key that you can turn the protection off temporarily.
I only have one complaint. It is a right tilt which does often come in handy, but in so doing the blade thickness always affects the fence cursor so I am always having to adjust it for different blades. A small complaint, and overall I love this saw and so does my wife

Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We had a pair of SawStop table saws in the school shop and they work GOOD. One was setup as normal and the other had a Dado blade. They saved saved a couple of fingers. And then of course some joker had to touch the side of it to see what would happen. The blade stop worked great, but legally the blade and cartridge has to be changed by the school department mechanics. It was right a the end of the semester and it took a week for them to change it. There were lots of unfinished projects that year.

Don't cut wet or damp wood on it though, the sensor works by picking up the moisture, (like the moisture in your hand) so anything wet will set it off.

Sam

Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Now that we've all had our rounds of commenting on GB's shooting skills, I must point out the danger of shooting at a hard surface such as a wheel. Never shoot at a hard surface is a basic gun safety rule.
A ricochet is a distinct possibility in this case if the projectile had hit the wheel. Even hitting the tire can result in ricochet and the bullet going where unexpected.
A few years ago, my gun club built a pistol range back stop of tires in against a dirt bank and there have been reports of bullets ricocheting off the tires.
The real danger with the widowmaker wheel is when the two pieces of the wheel separate suddenly and all the energy is released at one time.
Yeah, we've all done stuff like this. Please take this as a basic firearm safety lesson, not to criticize.
Thanks for listening.
While I like GB's attitude about finding an innovative way to deflate widow makers (I like his shooting bench even more ) I also like anyone that promotes gun safety (Ray ). But I question whether non-jacketed lead bullets would ricochet 30 yards. The cowboy action shooters at my club shoot flat metal plates with .45 long colt non-jacketed bullets from as close as 7 yards. We shoot falling plates from 25 feet. Of course they are flat steel targets set perpendicular to the shooter. On the other hand years ago my Dad and I were shooting at a 100 yard range in western Pennsylvania with a loose shale backstop with 30-06 armor piercing ammo. We stopped after we found the sabots ricocheting back to our firing line.

Attached Images