Frustrated that marker lights come on when door is opened

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Langko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated that marker lights come on when door is opened

I have a 2011, F-350, Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.7 Stroker. I have asked on here before if anyone knows of a way to disable the automatic feature that turns on the marker lights when opening a door. That has been sometime back and nobody seemed to know. I have checked with Ford and their response was that if the truck was equipped with the "Police Package" that it could be done.

There has to be a way to disable a relay, cut some wire or something to stop the lights from being turned on automatically. Maybe duct tape over the door switch?

Does anybody know the secret?

I e-mailed the engineering department at Ford and asked if they could give me a good explanation as to what benefit this feature is for the vehicle owner. No response. If they could just tell me how this feature has enriched my life I might be satisfied.

This is really starting to cut into my cash flow as it makes it very hard sneaking into neighborhoods to break into a houses and businesses to steal everything they got. My grocery bill has gone up quite a bit also as it's almost impossible to poach deer.

Please send help soon!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I don't have a diagram for a 2011. I do have access to a 2005. So I can only give you hints as to what to look for and what might work.

Everything is computer controlled on the trucks now. There is the engine computer which we have had for a long time now, but now there is a computer in the dash cluster, the ABS, and they now have what they call a body module, which is a computer that handles the signals from the doors and various other inputs and outputs. All these computers talk to each other on a network inside the the truck.

In 2005 I looked at the running lights wiring. It's mostly conventional, the same as Ford would have done it back in the 70's all the way up through to today. They still use a brown wire to feed all the running lights. The difference is a splice in the brown wire, and another brown wire running over to the body module. I believe this is what you are going to be looking for. This splice is after the headlight switch, so the body module can turn on the lights anytime it wants to. Which would probably be when you hit the keyfob to lock or unlock the doors, and also this feature you want to get rid of, when you open the doors. So if you could find the location of the body module in a 2011, sort through all the wires and find the brown wire, cut it, you might kill your automatic light feature, though you will also kill possibly a couple other features as to when the lights come on. You could also put a switch in this line, so you could switch this on and off if you wanted to.

What I would do before I cut the wire, would be to go to the store and get a testlight. Hook it up and poke the wire you think it is before you cut it. Then open the doors and see if it lights up with the running lights, just to make sure you have the right wire before you cut it.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Langko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dave.

That is the best answer I've got so far. Now it's time to go on a Easter egg hunt and locate the computer module that you are referring to. Good idea to put a switch in the line also.