Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
New User

irocdupi is starting off with a positive reputation.
2014 F250 6.2

Hello everyone. Just pulled the trigger on a 2014 F250 4x4 4 Door Lariat with the 6.2 and Elocking 3.73. I went with the 3.73's cause I do alot of highway driving thats unloaded especially to and from NYC. My question is how does this truck run on the highway, I have never had a gas 250 or 2500 and my 1500's never had a problem holding 75-85 uphill. I was just wondering if this truck is going to struggle holding say 80mph in overdrive, or is constantly going to be kicking in and out.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Senior User

troverman is starting off with a positive reputation.
It should be fine...will downshift to 5th or 4th on long uphills but nothing unusual.
2012 Ford F-250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L V8, 18" alloys, manual locking hubs, 3.73 with locker. Retrofitted factory navi, audio amp, roof antenna, full-function leather steering wheel, autolamp, remote start, Sync system, auto climate control, auto-dimming mirror.
1999 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic, 88ci EFI Stage 2
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
It will run just fine. Use cruise control and enjoy.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Senior User

Go Big or Go Home! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdupi View Post
Hello everyone. Just pulled the trigger on a 2014 F250 4x4 4 Door Lariat with the 6.2 and Elocking 3.73. I went with the 3.73's cause I do alot of highway driving thats unloaded especially to and from NYC. My question is how does this truck run on the highway, I have never had a gas 250 or 2500 and my 1500's never had a problem holding 75-85 uphill. I was just wondering if this truck is going to struggle holding say 80mph in overdrive, or is constantly going to be kicking in and out.

Thanks
what do you expect out of a 3/4 ton beast..it is not a 1/2 ton lighter truck..This truck is built for towing/hauling not cruising the highway,,just a word of advice,,when your going that fast up/down a hill, this truck is top heavy..I driven in NY and thru NY and you guys drive fast and got a lot of ignorant SOB's that like to ride your *** and flash there lights..Do your self a favor..Install a bull/push bar on front,, your gonna need it for the ahole who flips you the bird cause you weren't going fast enough. Be careful at those speeds. The truck should hold to a point up an incline but will downshift if the engine is lagging..Wish you well with your new truck..
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Senior User

22rimfire is starting off with a positive reputation.
And I might add; your mileage is really going to suck at 80 MPH.
2013 F250 XLT 6.2 4X4 CC SB 3:73
Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Senior User

Hotrod70d is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think a lot of problems is people buy trucks to drive like sports cars and expect 20 plus mpg . Well the thing is there a stiff ride very heavy and not ment to be driven so fast . I liked the day when the suspension was 2 times as stiff so you could actually haul something with out needing to add bags or more springs. Keep it at 65 and you will see good mpg ya 13 is good . Dont forget its a 7000lb truck
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Senior User

These big trucks actually cruise the highways fine at 80 mph. Do expect very poor economy at that speed, however. At 80mph in my experience I don't think it will downshift much except for the steepest hills (unless towing). It is a very large, heavy truck. It will not stop as quickly as a regular car or even 1/2 ton truck, despite very large brakes. However, these are actually pretty comfortable rigs to drive long distances. With a decent load or heavier trailer on the back, they actually ride pretty well.
2012 Ford F-250 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L V8, 18" alloys, manual locking hubs, 3.73 with locker. Retrofitted factory navi, audio amp, roof antenna, full-function leather steering wheel, autolamp, remote start, Sync system, auto climate control, auto-dimming mirror.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
These big trucks actually cruise the highways fine at 80 mph. Do expect very poor economy at that speed, however. At 80mph in my experience I don't think it will downshift much except for the steepest hills (unless towing). It is a very large, heavy truck. It will not stop as quickly as a regular car or even 1/2 ton truck, despite very large brakes. However, these are actually pretty comfortable rigs to drive long distances. With a decent load or heavier trailer on the back, they actually ride pretty well.
Oh he will need every inch of those brakes driving thru NY..The most ignorant drivers in all of America..They don't use turn signals and it is road rage to the highest level in NY. I would be more worried about the sudden swerve to avoid knuckleheads or crap in road at those speeds,,This is why I said install a bull/push bar..Your not gonna stop so fast so I wouldn't swerve so I would like a little protection from the ahole who likes to stomp his brakes and cut you off and flip you the bird..I would smash his rear with a front bar..JMHO!!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior User

projectnitemare is starting off with a positive reputation.
You wont have any issue other than lousy fuel milage. I drive a decent mountain everyday and the truck doesn't hunt gears all the time and the long straight stretches I have to set the cruise or I do end up going 80mph.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior User

BigMix is starting off with a positive reputation.
The more miles you put on it the better it will hold 6th on those long hills. You will get somewhat of a rough ride on the interstate even at higher speeds. There are times when I hit expansion joints and the truck bounces for miles. Personally I prefer the stiffer ride versus my old 1500.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Postmaster

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
80MPH? thought all our roads on the east coast were 65mph limits....

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Junior User

street rodder is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
80MPH? thought all our roads on the east coast were 65mph limits....
they are 70, but you can usually get away with 79.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM
New User

irocdupi is starting off with a positive reputation.
NY drivers are aggressive. When you grow up here and learn to drive here you become use to it. When you live here its not just people in cars who drive aggressive. Everyone does, even people with trailers. Its not unusual to see F450 and F550's loaded up doing 70+. Yea the speed limit is not 80, doesnt mean that people dont do it. My father has an 03 Yukon with a 6.0l in it. I learned to drive that when I was 14 and have snow plowed since then. We drive that truck to Florida every year and its very rare for that truck to go under 75. Even going north that truck holds 80+ in overdrive. Yes its not a 250, just was trying to get an idea if the 250 struggles to maintain that speed or not.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Senior User

Speed limits here in NH are 65. NH troopers are usually lenient and you can go 10 over. However, some of the interstates are actually in VT (I-91 and part of I-89 run along the border) and those troopers will bust you for as little as 5 over. NY troopers - forget it. I-87 is lined with courthouses handling 90% traffic cases. Nothing but a revenue source for the state. Fortunately the magistrates are usually willing to plead most speeding violations down to a non-moving violation, e.g. in my case a $200 parking ticket if you pay in cash that same day.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdupi View Post
NY drivers are aggressive. When you grow up here and learn to drive here you become use to it. When you live here its not just people in cars who drive aggressive. Everyone does, even people with trailers. Its not unusual to see F450 and F550's loaded up doing 70+. Yea the speed limit is not 80, doesnt mean that people dont do it. My father has an 03 Yukon with a 6.0l in it. I learned to drive that when I was 14 and have snow plowed since then. We drive that truck to Florida every year and its very rare for that truck to go under 75. Even going north that truck holds 80+ in overdrive. Yes its not a 250, just was trying to get an idea if the 250 struggles to maintain that speed or not.
Everyone drives w/o the assumption of anything will ever force them to a reactive move..If I had to drive the NY roads all the time it would be in a F150 over a F250. Easier to move and lower center of gravity..F250 running 80mph and you got to slam on brakes or swerve to miss a jacka$$, it could get ugly..I know everyone goes 80, its like 95South,, if your not 80 you got people up your butt flashing lights and flipping you the bird..These F250 are tanks on wheels,, no way nimble enough to handle a quick reaction..Good luck and hope you never have to find out..
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty