Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Super Duty V10 Real World Tow Test 14k lbs !

Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Super Duty V10 Real World Tow Test 14k lbs !

Had to share a real world vid . A very cool guy made this video. My hats off to him and our customer

Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
forgot to mention he is running the 87 octane perf - tow map amazing what is left over on cheap fuel.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my real world I don't put the pedal to the metal nor do I run the tachometer to boil.
If you wish to impress me - show me how it helps improve MPG with that load.

Caution: Grandpa behind the wheel.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
DouglasJRizzo
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive hill climb. I've always preferred gas to diesel so something like this makes sense.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hitch up the 6.2 and do the same test.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Great vid, I like to see these types of real world tests. Thanks for posting.

I assume these runs were with the typical 10% crap-anol (ethanol) fuel? Would be very intersting to see a similar side by side run with straight fuel vs ethanol.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM
DouglasJRizzo
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
Hitch up the 6.2 and do the same test.
I was wondering about the 6.2. How it would compare to the V10.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
My '08 V10 would leave my 6.2 in the dust. However some others have had opposite results, that's why I would like to see a test.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
apples vs oranges, if both had the 5 speed the v10 would win, if both had the 6 speed the v10 would win, but the 6.2 has the 6 speed advantage and it revs higher.

Back to the tuner, the 5 star tuning is by far the best performance upgrade you can do, the biggest problem is after you do it the truck is so much more responsive and so much more fun to drive you won't see a mileage gain BUT its so much more pleasant to drive, the other thing is it is MUCH safer for your engine when towing by way of the fuel curves as its not running so lean as Fords does. I have not towed with mine yet but on the hwy I picked up realistically 1/2-1 mpg on the hwy and so much more power and responsiveness. I did opt for the 91 octane tow/perf and 91 economy tune, I will be trying those next. I wish we had 93 octane here in CA......
Even if the 87 tow/performance tune does not add any economy (I cant see how it cannot even by a minute amount) it makes the truck drive soooooooo much better, when you are adding a significant amount of torque you can always pick up some economy but once again when the power is under your right foot and it is right there and it wasn't before you use it, if theres no ice cream in the freezer you wont eat it but if there is.........you will! HP/TQ FEELS GOOD! Ice cream TASTES GOOD!

If you have too much power, you can let off the gas........if you don't have enough you can only push the gas so far and you still dont have it. I could almost Gaurantee, if you are 80-90 years old and drive a v10 and get 5 star tuning you will get better MPG's but you may get a speeding ticket.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tis my biased opinion that many of you are living in la-laa land, drinking up the POWER cool-aid, and reasoning that all that's fast is well.

I'm from the old school that demands facts; I'd gladly spend bucks on this IF it improves in the category that's important too me: fuel efficiency/ better MPG.

I don't care if I arrive at my destination two hours later if it saves me $40 in gas.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM
CapriMikeC
Junior User
I too am more concerned about increasing the mileage on my V10 compared to ultimate power.

However, I recognize that when hauling heavy loads, being the slowest vehicle can create an unsafe circumstance for drivers around me regardless of how much gas I'm saving. Having the power to hold speed up a hill and merge onto a freeway where traffic is moving along at 70+mph (common and legal in western states) is, at certain moments, more important than trying to preserve a few more drops of fuel.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 AM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Ok, for you sceptics, take a 99 7.3 235 hp and 500 ft lbs, take a 6.7 2012 400 hp and 800ft lbs, the 2012 will out pull the 1999 and get at least 5-7 mpg's better mileage and out pull the 7.3 by a huge margine. A last generation 3v v10 will out pull an early one while getting better fuel economy. A tuner will only improve on that, especially comparing a 4 spd to a 5 spd trans. You guys who are wary of tuners, just buy one and try one and you will be on the other side of the fence REAL QUICK. I have yet to see anyone "uninstall" a five star tune back to stock, except for dealer service or a smog check. Make sure and drive it 150 miles before you do that. The 87 octane tune on a 3v v10 will smoke any stock 7.3 in power.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,389 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Maybe the skeptics are on their own right path---IF increased MPG's are their only goals perhaps a tuner or anything else that might promote a bit more "foot in the throttle" action from the driver 5 Star isn't worth their time.

What's not known or understood though are facts such as these:

Mike can/will tailor a tune to what the customer wants. The fact there is if MPG's are a concern he can/will sell you something that would achieve that alone.

Page after page and in so many threads or replies about Mike's tunes for the V10 are also facts.

I'd bet I'm one of the oldest members here so take it as a fact I've rarely seen any one aftermarket automotive product that receives and almost overwhelming endorsement by those who've imbibed the "power Kool Aid" Add to that Mike's extreme dedication to CUSTOMER SERVICE, willing to make adjustments to the strategies AFTER THE SALE without additional cost and the facts seem to only point out its a no brainer purchase.

And NO I'm NOT affiliated or related to Mike, not receiving any compensation and honestly don't even own a V10. I've simply read the facts as posted here by other real world users which is more than good enough for me.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
CapriMikeC: I coundn't have said it better, I agree 100%!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
I just installed the 91 tune just to try it, it has more than the 87 but not by a whole lot but definetly more and once again the engine even sounds meaner.
If you think about it if you get a nice power bump and still get the same mileage as before, I consider that a bump in economy, you are making more power with the same amount of gas, I may be making a run to Vegas over the weekend so I might install the 91 and 87 economy tunes up and back and see how they work. If I can keep all the same I will guess the 91 economy tune should give best results, as a guy who has built and tuned engines for 30+ years, the more initial timing the better low end, better low end = better economy, with higher octane fuel you can run more timing with out knock. Right off the bat I am pushing the gas down less to go the same speed or faster, yes it may be just tweeking the drive by wire but it is such a huge difference from the stock tune, I just went from stock 18" tires and whells to stock sized 20's with stock 2012 wheels, I felt a power loss, now its back big time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super Duty V10 Real World Tow Test 14k lbs !