Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 AM
New User

WoodChuck'r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sup everybody. New member here.

Howdy everyone. This site is awesome...!! Can't believe I didn't find it sooner than recently! Unlimited amounts of info here - great place.

I'm 32 and from western NY, in the southern tier, 50 miles south of Rochester. I've owned two Rangers since 2006 but I'm looking in to finally joining the Superduty family. There's one on Craigslist in my area and I don't know a ton about them. Gonna check it out this weekend.

Obviously the ad only tells so much, which isn't much at all. But I was looking for thoughts, insight, advice, input, etc, that could help me when I go to look at this thing. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I know when something seems out of it's place, but I don't know specifics with these trucks when it comes to knowing what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The truck looks super clean, so if I do end up with it, I'll definitely have a nice one to start out with.

Here's the ad.

2002 Ford F-250 XLT 4X4 Supercab F250-Price Reduced

Even if I don't buy it, I look forward to being a member here - I'm a Ford guy at heart so I'll be here in one form or another.

Thanks everyone - rock on.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks really clean and a good price. Check out the sticky threads at the top of the Superduty forum and V-10 forum. It will tell you everything to look for when going to buy. Tons of info there. V-10 is a great motor, my dad has 300,000 on his and pulls a trailer still and plows with it too.

And welcome, FTE community is awesome and there are some extremely knowledgable people on here. Always willing to help. If you do get the pics are required !!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Posting Guru

Quad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to allQuad Racer is a name known to all
Looks like a nice truck. If you look at it look to see if the exhaust manifold bolts are intact. The studs break and fall out often. Also be sure to ask about the spark plugs changes and if it has ever blown one. If it has ask which type of repair was done as some are better than others.

Other than that always be sure to ask about the typical other things when buying a used vehicle.

Good luck.

Edit- you may also want to ask how the 4x4 system works. At least make sure the hubs engage. There is a ton of other stuff

08 XLT 250 CC V10 4.10 - 5 Star tunes (giddyup),18"x9" XD Addicts, 295 70 18 Trail Grapplers, Prestige fender flares, side marker lights
2001 E 250 Work beast

Jason
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
New User

Welp.

Looks like I've become a Super Duty owner.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks nice!

Hope you didn't pay extra for the snow- I got mine free!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 AM
New User

We finance our snow here.

Thankfully here in western NY there's a law that allows no down payment.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior User

NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.NorEasterMA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice buy, welcome to the Super Duty family!

Massachusetts Chapter Member
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Post Fiend

2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation
Well that was a quick purchase! Nice rig.

Welcome to FTE
2011 F250 KR 6.7--6,000k heads/fogs/led switchbacks, black headlights, Recon, H&S mm, Flo pro with 6" powder-coated tip, Fusion front & rear bumpers, 20x10 Fuel Kranks, 295/65r20 Nitto trail Grapps, Denali sled deck, Compustar alarm/remote, some plasti dipping, Rigid LEDs--2013 Escape Titanium Ecoboost--2010 F150
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Senior User

King Rex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Congrats, welcome and nice rig! What mountain is that behind the pic? I am very jealous, wish I were skiing, (you can keep all the other weather, driving and daily grind in the snow and ice though)

2011, F-350 king ranch, 4x4, 3.73 gears, gasser, CC, 8' bed, Rough Country 2" leveled, 295x75x18 Goodyear DuraTracs, CB, rear aux lights, 55w hella lights on the chrome bull bar, Rear LED light bar

2008, EXPY king ranch (For the wife)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior User

Atomc has a good reputation on FTE.Atomc has a good reputation on FTE.Atomc has a good reputation on FTE.
Congrats on the new truck it looks good!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
New User

Thanks everyone. It's in really nice shape for 148k miles and being 12yrs old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rex View Post
What mountain is that behind the pic?
Bristol Mountain.

I used to work there year round as a lift mechanic many years ago. I don't ski - it just so happened to be a convenient for me and the seller to meet up.

I do a lot of work outside at the house - love the cold, hate the snow. It's always in my way - but such is life in NY!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Freshman User

14_250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome and enjoy!
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Junior User

caliaviation is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Welp.

Looks like I've become a Super Duty owner.
Congrats! Welcome to the club!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM
New User

Lots and lots of work getting done to this thing currently - most of it maintenance and fix it stuff but a couple cool upgrades are part of the project as well.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM
New User

Finally got a few pics taken.

Here's a list of some of what's been done:

-Banks powerpack (stainless headers, exhaust, intake & chip)
-All axle seals
-Mag Hytec front & rear axle covers
-All new brakes (pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, lines, flushed all fluid)
-Derale transmission pan
-Stainless front hubs
-Replaced all ball joints, u joints, tie rods
-Aftermarket towing mirrors installed
-Every fluid changed and every filter changed
-AC didn't work - that's fixed
-Cruise didn't work - that's fixed
-New door hinges on both front doors

There's some other stuff - can't think of it all off the top of my head right now. I was at the shop the other day and snapped a few quick photos while it was on the lift. Yes the truck is rusty underneath, but that's life for a vehicle driven on the salty roads of upstate NY. Gonna put a bunch of money into fixing the body and underneath this coming winter and into next yer. Plan on keeping this rig for quite some time......

(front)

(rear)

That's all I have for now - more to come!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM