6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

steering binding/sticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:35 AM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front 4x4 U joints, same thing happened to me. It was a really weird feeling.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:58 AM
HOGSONTHEROAD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it definitely isn't normal. Had my wife drive it and she hated it and won't drive it anymore until its fixed. Says she will stick with her new xplorer and I can drive the f350. lol

Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM
HOGSONTHEROAD
New User
Originally Posted by HOGSONTHEROAD
Hey Crystal, I'm dropping my 2011 ford f350 off next week at dealer to look at. Can you provide any assistance for me? PM if you get this. Thanks Rich
Hi Crystal, It appears that I don't have the ability to respond to PMs just yet on this forum. Here is some info I can share:

Service Date:
June 8th @ 3PM I will be takingtruck to Classic Ford, 8540 TylerBlvd, Mentor, OH 44060.440 266-3000

Vehicle: 2011FORD F350 6.7l Diesel Vin: BEA34735

SYMPTOMS:

For the past 3 months I have been experiencing odd and sporadicsteering problems. Steering issuecomes and goes and there isn’t any specific speed, direction or time of day thatcauses the issue continuously.

When making left or right turns the steering seems to be bindingin the turn and I need to force the steering wheel the opposite direction forit to truck to steer straight and not go off the road.

Have had issue happen getting off freeway off ramps and onsecondary roads. I’ve been reading itcould be anything from Steering Box, Steering Pump, u-joints to balljoints. I would like to have every single steeringcomponent looked at to see what can be causing this as I’m afraid to drive thetruck anymore.

What assistance can you offer me??

Old 06-03-2016, 05:17 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HOGSONTHEROAD
Hi Crystal, It appears that I don't have the ability to respond to PMs just yet on this forum. Here is some info I can share:

Service Date:
June 8th @ 3PM I will be takingtruck to Classic Ford, 8540 TylerBlvd, Mentor, OH 44060.440 266-3000

Vehicle: 2011FORD F350 6.7l Diesel Vin: REMOVED

SYMPTOMS:

For the past 3 months I have been experiencing odd and sporadicsteering problems. Steering issuecomes and goes and there isn’t any specific speed, direction or time of day thatcauses the issue continuously.

When making left or right turns the steering seems to be bindingin the turn and I need to force the steering wheel the opposite direction forit to truck to steer straight and not go off the road.

Have had issue happen getting off freeway off ramps and onsecondary roads. I’ve been reading itcould be anything from Steering Box, Steering Pump, u-joints to balljoints. I would like to have every single steeringcomponent looked at to see what can be causing this as I’m afraid to drive thetruck anymore.

What assistance can you offer me??

Thanks for reaching out, HOGSONTHEROAD.

Crystal has taken other opportunities elsewhere, but I'm more than happy to look into some options. Once you get a diagnosis from your dealer, please let me know, along with your mileage. I recommend editing your post to remove your VIN for security reasons.

Meagan

Old 06-05-2016, 02:35 PM
HOGSONTHEROAD
New User
Thanks Meagan. Current Mileage is 110,246. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:42 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
I think I discovered the source of my issue. Had an aftermarket remote start/alarm combo installed and I found the siren dangling by its wire near the steering mechanism under the hood, secured it and haven't had the issue since.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Thanks for reporting back.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:18 PM
rescue413
New User
My 2011 F550 just started doing this same thing. It is SCARY!! Everything in the steering appears normal after hours of checking. My thoughts are U'Joints or steering box, which has a little play in the pitman arm and a slight clunking noise internal to it. I have an appointment in a week to get it checked out.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 AM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Frozen u-joint on passenger side.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:02 PM
anderschultz
New User
So I am having a problem with the steering sticking as well. Making right hand turns (like described above - on/off ramps) I have to manually return the steering wheel to center but the truck still veers to the right. After jerking the steering wheel to the left, it seems as though it 'gives' then will start to drive straight again. Does not make any noises. Turning left or right, the steering wheel will not return to center, have to manually turn the steering wheel back. Going down the highway - also pulls to the right, steering wheel has to be slightly to the left to stay straight. Took it in yesterday (7/13/16) tie rods and all other steering related components on the right side were replaced (I have no idea exactly what was replaced as it is hard to tell the description codes on the ticket). Realignment was also done. I drove it home last night and still have the same issue. I went back this morning and took the service tech for a drive and he "thinks" it is the steering box. I don't want another bill for 'lets try this and see if it helps". Spend over $1000 yesterday at the local Ford dealership to have this fixed and nothing has changed.

2011 F350 6.7l Diesel Long Box. 93,000miles
New tires, new brakes 6/2016

Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
anderschultz
New User
Originally Posted by rescue413
My 2011 F550 just started doing this same thing. It is SCARY!! Everything in the steering appears normal after hours of checking. My thoughts are U'Joints or steering box, which has a little play in the pitman arm and a slight clunking noise internal to it. I have an appointment in a week to get it checked out.

What ended up being the final diagnosis for your problem?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Fasteddy83
New User
Originally Posted by anderschultz
So I am having a problem with the steering sticking as well. Making right hand turns (like described above - on/off ramps) I have to manually return the steering wheel to center but the truck still veers to the right. After jerking the steering wheel to the left, it seems as though it 'gives' then will start to drive straight again. Does not make any
noises. Turning left or right, the steering wheel will not return to center, have to manually turn the steering wheel back. Going down the highway - also pulls to the right, steering wheel has to be slightly to the left to stay straight. Took it in yesterday (7/13/16) tie rods and all other steering related components on the right side were replaced (I have no idea exactly what was replaced as it is hard to tell the description codes on the ticket). Realignment was also done. I drove it home last night and still have the same issue. I went back this morning and took the service tech for a drive and he "thinks" it is the steering box. I don't want another bill for 'lets try this and see if it helps". Spend over $1000 yesterday at the local Ford dealership to have this fixed and nothing has changed.

2011 F350 6.7l Diesel Long Box. 93,000miles
New tires, new brakes 6/2016
Hey you described my exact symptoms even having to jerk wheel to make it drive straight again, I recently GoT new tires and they could t do an alignment as te balljoints had play so I'm about to do them but I'm curious what was your problem in the end ??